Miter Saw Mod Finished

I got a 10", compound, non-slider, miter saw from HF awhile back. Works well, except it did need just a touch of tuning to get a true 90 degree cut. The cut isn't wide enough, but I'd already figured out that if I raised the deck (table?) if it enough, it would cut close to the width of the blade. Well, as it turns out, I won't be using it to cut wider than 6" - so as it's setup now, the cut is 6 9/16". Perfect.
Basically, what I did was take a 36" strip of 1/4" plywood, about 3" wide, fronted by a strip of 1/2" plywood, about 4" shourter, and maybe 1/2" narrower. I marked the line I wanted bolts on the 1/3" ply, clamped both on the upright/back of the deck, used a 1/16" drill to make a pilot hold thru both pieces of ply, and the aluminum back. Removed the 1/2" ply, reclamped the 1/4", and proceded to drill slightly larger holes, ending with the final size holes, that'll just accept a T-nut. Used a circle cutter to make a cut just larger than the rear of the T-nut in the 1/2" ply, poppd out a layer of veneer to accept the back of the T-nut, and drilled a 1/4{" hole all the way thru, to accept any extra length of bolt, if I had to go with a 1" bolt. Then put a T-nut in the ply, and found out that the 3/4" bolts I got only screwed into the T-nuts just over 1/8" and bound, turning the T-nut in the ply. Hmm. So, some glue around the T-nuts, glue the two pieces of ply together, seemed to do it. The T-nuts protruded from the 1/4" ply into the aluminum back perfectly, not quite all the way thru. But, to avoid putting excessive pressure on the T-nuts, when the bolts were tightened, would need spacers. Wound up with 3/4" bolts by the way. Wound up trimming down a bit of oak flooring, drilling it, and used as spacers. I proably only ned 5-10 lbs of pressure anyway, just enough to keep the T-nuts from backing out. Lovely.
The pieces in front, to raise the deck are: On the left, took four chunks of 2X4, about a foot long, glued them wide side to wide side in pairs, then glued them edge to edge, and planed them a bit to get them nicely flat. I believe they wound up about 2 1/2" tall. The 1/2" ply is the same height. On the right side used just three pieces of 2X4, about 8 inches long, and made a custome, one-time use, planer sled, to plane that at an angle. The theory was that the cut pieces (which will be a max of 12" long) will slide down out of the way. That's was the theory, the practice is that it works exactly that way. Hehehe
Then glued them to the back, and to each other. Once that glue set, tested. The 1/2" ply is partially so a stop block can rest on it on the right side - the planed angle alone would make that difficult. Set a piece of 1/2" ply on the stop support, clamped it in place, and cut a piece. Worked like a charm. The cut was right on, and the cut piece slid down, and on to the floor. Had expected it to just drop off and on to the surface the saw was sitting on. Nope, had enough momentum to go right on and on the floor.
Recall that the 1/X" stop block support on the back is a bit lower than the 1/4" ply - this is so the 1/4" ply can be the support for the clamp. Also recall the 1/2" ply is a few inches shorter than the 1/4" ply. I glued a small block of ply on each end of the 1/4" ply, no higher than the 1/2" ply, leaving a gap of about 1". I'm now in the process of making stop blocks/strips for each side. I take a strip of 1/2" ply, glue a piece of ply about 1"X3" on the end, and another piece across both pieces, ensuring the 3" piece won't be easily knocked off. This points down, so it fits in the gap left, and will be set against the block on the end of the 1/4" ply, then clamped. This will give a consistent placement each time, allowing consistent cuts to be made. Now all I need to do is blue up a couple or so more stops, then start measuring and cutting them to the lengths desired. With the piece glued on to hold the end piece on, this makes each stop specific to the right or left side, so no getting them confused. When I get them cut to the size needed, I'll mark the cut size on each, so won't be any confusion there either.
I've though about this a lot, no plans, just thought about what I wanted it to do, then how to do it. Re-thought a lot of it, didn't wan to have to redo any of it, and it went together just like I'd planned, and works just as planned - well almost, hadn't figured on the cut pieces sliding down so well and out on the floor. Now need to figure if I want to j ust set a cach basket on the floor, or figure something to hang and catch. I don't recall ever reading, or seeing, anything like my setup for a miter saw, so it's all out of my mind. Works for me.
In the process of making this, found out one of the router jigs I had made is the wrong size. Oh it'll work great with the size pieces I had in mind. Only thing, I was thinking of pieces I'll be cutting for other projcts. The jig was meant for making chess pieces, with the leftover to be made into octagon bases. But the pieces that require are wider than the first jig will accept. Ah well, The second one will be a bit nicer than the first one, andwith it to monkey make, the second one won't be hard at all. Popsicle sticks WILL be included - but probably not yellow paint. Maybe. We'll see..
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I quite agree.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.