Minwax water based poly

I was just laying the last top coat on some pine with Minwax Polycylic Satin. I shook the can first, then brushed on the coat. As expected the first half of a 7 ft board dried with a satin (dull) look and at about the middle began to slowly turn to a glossy finish as the board was completed. I got the impression that the glossy stuff rises in the can and the dull stuff sinks and you have constantly stir/shake up the can.

I buffed the entire board with a scouring pad by hand to lay down a new coat. OK, so now I'm sweating.

I got the bright idea to used the scouring pad on my orbital sander and just stand there moving it along while drinking my coffee. The mixed finish coat is now relatively evened out to a satiny finish and to hell with that re-coat. And this time, I'm not sweating.

Just thought I would pass this on.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Um... accordion to the instructions on the can, it should be stirred not shaken. This to prevent bubbles from forming. buy a lottery ticket, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

..or if you want a better bond?

Reply to
Robatoy

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Reply to
B A R R Y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:03:54 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Watch it. I have a licence to mill.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

"This piece needs more sanding. I guess I'll have to dye another day."

Reply to
Chuck Taylor