MinWax Wipe-On Poly advice

Hi, I have some MinWax Wipe-On Poly that I want to try on a project and am looking for some application tips. Do most of you just go by the instructions on the can or are there better methods? I got some great advice regarding Watco Danish Oil application and thought some of you may have some good advice regarding this poly. Thanks.

Reply to
BeerBoy

I've used cheese-cloth to apply this with good results.

Ed G

Reply to
Ed G

I use a clean, white cotton rag, or cheesecloth, about 9x9, folded into a pad about 3x3. The rag gets stored in a ziplock bag in between coats, so the rag lasts for an entire project.

FWIW, I don't use "wipe-on" poly, simply regular poly cut 50/50 with paint thinner.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

All Right! YOU!!! Go to your room and don't come back here until you can post without using profanity. ;-) ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

As far as I can tell, wipe on poly is just regular polyurethane thinned with mineral spirits 50/50. It produces a very thin coat, but can be recoated in about 4-6 hours depending on temp and humidity. I use 0000 steel wool very lightly between coats and it gets rid of dust nibs, etc and leaves a really smooth finish. I have used everything from paper towels to socks to apply it, but old tee shirts seem to work best for me. I have had the best luck with the gloss instead of the satin, and just rub with steel wool and paste wax to cut the shine a little. Let it cure for a week or more before you rub out the gloss with the steel wool and wax.

Reply to
Sawblade

Paper towel, the cheapest sort, works great for application as long as you have properly sanded work. I use one of those extra fine sanding sponges with mineral spirits as a lube when sanding between coats. Half a sponge, kept in a container with some spirits to wash it lasts a _very_ long time.

The gloss is more transparent, of course, and you _can_ use steel wool of you like. I just hate the stuff, so I use pumice on an oiled rag.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell