Wipe-On Poly

I made my own wipe-on poly from 1:1 poly:mineral spirits. It's the first time I have used poly like this. I just put on the first coat and it was drying so fast as I wiped it on that it was sometimes hard to tell where I had wiped already.

How many coats of wipe-on poly am I gonna need on a table top that would allow me to use pumice (4F) without cutting through?

Reply to
stoutman

While you don't say what kind of wood you were putting it on it is quite likely that the wiping poly was not drying that fast. What it was doing, at that viscosity, was being absorbed into the wood.

You are on the right track though. A 1:1 mix makes a good, frequently used, first sealer coat. However you'll be forever trying to get a build with it cut that much. Next step is a 15% to 20 % cut and wipe it on. No need to be anal about the percentages. 20% means thinner coats and a slower build, 15% a thicker coat and faster build. Try some mixes in that area and use the one that you like the best.

Figure three to five more coats depending on cut and the depth you want for your finish..

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks for the info. The wood is hard maple. I'm gonna take your advice and bulk up the poly on the next coat.

Reply to
stoutman

Please let the group know how it turns out, I am interested in that type of finish myself, on hard maple too. Want to use it for kitchen cabinets.

If anyone has any experience with this finish in that environment and can offer information it will be very appreciated.

Drew

Reply to
Drew

Jeff Jewitt wrote a FWW article a few years ago about Viva paper towels and Sherwin Williams Fast Dry Oil Varnish. Three coats a day and works well. Mix 50:50 with naptha. Gloss wont leave stripes.

offer information it will be very appreciated.

Reply to
Bob Bowles