Mineral Spirits?

Page 1 of 2
Went to Wal-Mart to get mineral spirits (clear, like water), which I've done before. The spirits I purchased today was milky and it was not as watery as previous purchases.... same container as previous purchases. The lid was still sealed I strained it through a paper towel and collected a bit of a cream-like residue on the towel. The stained part was still milky in color and still not as watery as previous products.
Is this some sort of new mineral spirits? .... Klean Strip odorless brand.
Rinsing some paint stripper with this stained milky stuff didn't seem to be as effective as with my previous clear spirits purchases. It doesn't wring dry from a cloth rag, either. It's like wringing out syrup, i.e., some slow-flowing remainer continues to ooze out after the watery aspect has been wrung out.
I applied stripper, then opened this new container and discovered this stuff. I had to use some of it for this initial stripping of a small area. I don't like testing a new (to me) product on someone's furniture, this way.
I'm considering bringing it back and get the labeled "paint thinner", which is clear, for rinsing my stripper.
Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits? Sonny
On 3/25/2010 3:11 PM, Sonny wrote:

Sounds like a defective product. Take it back and see if you can get a clean bottle. Might want to call the manufacturer and see if they'll tell you where to find the lot number so you can maybe get one from a different lot.
Sonny wrote: ...

Hard to read the contents/product label from here...
Doesn't sound like the stuff being sold as Mineral Spirits for the last 100 years.

Snip

Typically "Thinner" is Mineral Spirits with a manufacturer's additives to make the thinner work better as a "thinner". Slower to evaporate and so on. IMHO your mineral spirates have either been compromised or was mislabled at the manufacturer. I would simply take it back and get another can. I do not like using thinner over mineral spirits for cleaning.
Didn't look right to me, either, as compared to what I'm familiar with. Whatever it is, it left a layered residue on the wood and it took a bit, not much, of sanding to remove it. Wiped the area with acetone and I think it's ok. It will be returned. Thanks All. Sonny

I was just going to suggest you return it. I also bought mineral spirings from Walmart a short time ago and it's clear. It's just as effective as the old stuff that recently was used up.
Puckdropper

Sonny wrote:

As I expected, in all likelihood you didn't pay enough attention to the label when you purchased the product; it would appear from the MSDS you got the "green" version which is hydrotreated petroleum distallate.
The MSDS physical description section includes the following --

Following is the link at the Rockler product site to see the MSDS itself: <http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD20000425AA.pdf
Moral of story--don't complain of a defective product until know one actually has the product one thinks one has... :)

What you are refering to is a substitute sold by Rockler. Assuming the product he bought at "WalMart" was the same product as usual, I would suspect that he got a mislabled product. This is what he was after. http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/KS%20Odorless%20Mineral%20Spirits%20%281631.1%29%2011-13-08.pdf
Having been in a business that buys products that are packaged differently for different brand stores I saw this happen time and again.
I have the same KleenStrip Oderless mineral spirits and it is as clear as water. What you are refering to is something that is made for Rockler and probably not normally available at Wal Mart.
Moral of story, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Leon wrote: ...

I've no clue where he bought it (and I'm not going back to see if it says in his original posting) but it is most definitely _NOT_ a Rockler-only KleanStrip product (or it wouldn't be labelled and the MSDS wouldn't be for WM Barr, it would be for Rockler-branded product.
I simply posted the link via Rockler as it was quicker-loading than the MW Barr site that has all their products in a larger pdf download format...
Just for grins, here's the product link accessible thru the "Brands" link from the MW Barr site...
<http://www.kleanstripgreen.com/
click on "Thinners & Solvents"

Well, that was Sonny's problem from the git-go--he got an orange when he wanted an apple.
There's nothing wrong w/ the product in his container, it just isn't the product he thought he was getting.