Mineral Spirits?

----- Original Message ----- From: "dpb" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 1:52 PM Subject: Re: Mineral Spirits?

Oh please let's not take time to confuse the issue with facts. If you read the OP'S first friggin sentence he mentions where he bought it with the 3rd word. If you had simply gone back and reread you would have waisted less time than responding again with unconfirmed information.

but it is most definitely _NOT_ a

Do you think the MSDS sheet you referenced would be for a product not sold by Rockler? LOL.... The Reference you made is for a Rockler product. MSDS sheets are not a one size fits all document. Every product has it's very own MSDS. EMS and Emergency personel don't have time to screw around guessing if the MSDS for one product will work for another.

It took me all of about 20 seconds to find the MSDS I posted, ever try Google?

Yeah that is your story and obviousely you are sticking with it. Next time you have a perscription "refilled" at the pharmacy feel confident that if the pills you receive do not look like what you have been taking all along go ahead and take them. They are probably correct for something.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote: ...

I'm quite confident if and when Sonny looks at his container carefully he'll see that he has the "green" product, not the other.

It makes no sense whatsoever otherwise.

If you can't understand there are two products, one the MSDS sheet you gave that isn't the product that Sonny has and if you would read the MSDS sheet at the links I gave you'll see they are _BOTH_ put out by the Barr company, manufacturers of the Klean products, _NOT_ Rockler. Rockler is simply a retailer.

If you want to continue to argue the point, take it up w/ somebody else--the point is and is true that there is _NOTHING_ whatsoever "wrong" w/ the product in Sonny's can other than it isn't what he thought it was when he bought it.

Reply to
dpb

I think you're right on the drying time. I mostly use turpentine for thinning and to hang my brushes in. I also agree with Lew's response that it just plain smells better - my age is showing :-).

As "EXT" says, it is more expensive. I wouldn't use it for cleanup if I did that a lot. But for a hobbyist like me and the uses I have for it, I'm willing to pay a bit more for a renewable resource.

And it must be less toxic - I remember CreoTurpin cough syrup :-).

Re above - it's a joke,son. Turpentine will kill you if you drink very much of it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

------------------------------------- "Le> Well that settle that!

------------------------------------- Just checked a local H/D.

Turps = $5.96/qt; gallon price not shown but the old rule paint of pricing that 3 qts will get you a gallon applies, which means a gallon of turps is probably in the $15-$18 range.

Paint thinner = $8.77

Not quite 10:1, more like 2:1.

These are SoCal prices which I would expect to be higher than elsewhere.

Still not a bad price when used for thinning BLO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 03:02:52 -0700, the infamous "Rod & BJ Jacobson" scrawled the following:

In all other brands, it is not. They're clear. I think he got some used stuff. Maybe an employee couldn't make it to the restroom and...

-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah that is your story and obviousely you are sticking with it.

Reply to
Leon

Well that is not so bat at all. Typically I find that 2 quarts are more expensive than 1 gallon, and $12 per gallon is quite manageable.

Reply to
Leon

-------------------------------------- As Robert would probably say, Big Box Stores are not where you buy gallons of turps.

Probably an outfit that caters to painting contractors will have them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Look, the deal is that they make mineral spirits and bottled happy horseshit and what he apparently bought wasn't the mineral spirits but the bottled happy horseshit, that is labelled in such a way that you can easily mistake it for mineral spirits.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:55:06 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Larry Blanchard scrawled the following:

Yeah, they gave CreoTurpin to really BAD kids. Slowed 'em right down. (I'll have to remember that name. ;)

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ok. Quite a bit of back and forth, here, so I'll recap and update. Maybe I should have given more details in the original post.

It was purchased at Wal-Mart and I did not read the label when I bought it... it was the Green product, by Klean Strip.

However, I would still expect it to be and perform as, otherwise, normal (for me) mineral spirits, green or not. It shouldn't matter what kind of mineral spirits it is, it should perform as one would expect of MS.

I had applied stripper to a small area of my work and, when time for clean-up, I opened the new gallon of MS and found it to be milky and somewhat thick flowing. Despite this, I decided to use it, since, I asssumed, it is MS (even with it being vastly different than what I was familiar with). It did not perform as normal MS. I stopped using it, at that moment, and stained some through a paper towel, in order to clean up my stripper. The straining process left a thicker sludge on the paper towel and the stained amount was still not a watery substance, as "normal" MS is. I decided to use the stained amount, anyway, since I needed to cleanup what I had already stripped.

It left a layered "residue" on the woodwork, which I assumed was still some "sludge". This residue sludge was not the result of the stripper's sludge, which I previously removed (as much as I could) with paper towels. The MS was to be used for rinsing the remainder of the stripper's sludge, not adding to it. I tried to remove any and everything. After it dried, there was layered crud on the woodwork and, to me, this crud was not the stripped & varnish residue, but was the MS residue sludge.

I got my work piece cleaned up pretty well and inspected the liquid in the gallon of MS. I poured half of it out and found the more I poured, the thicker it was. There were even a few soft lumps that poured out.... at first I thought these lumps were large bubbles. To this point, I still hadn't reread the label to see if there was something to explain this... MS is supposed to be MS, so I was "reading" what the liquid was telling me, not the container's label.

I had bought 2 gallons and, without breaking the seal on the other gallon, I shook it to see if I could determine if this other gallon may be thick, also. I couldn't tell.

My project wasn't damaged, in any way, but I did have to do more cleaning up, than I normally do, because of this particular gallon of MS.

Yes, I guess it pays to read a label, but hell, MS is supposed to be MS and act and be like MS, I would think. Maybe this Green stuff has a shelf life..... (Is that on the label? I won't bother to reread the label, to see.). To me, something was wrong with this gallon of MS, at least for my purpose. The stripper's instructions for cleanup was to use MS. There wasn't anything abnormal with the stripper, to attribute to this issue.

I returned the Green and bought some clear. My project is coming along nicely, now.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

According to the label neither it nor any of its components are flammable. It's supposedly 99 percent volatile but with no volatile organic content. The MSDS says "hydrotreated light distillate".

Whatever it is, it is unlikely to bear any real resemblance to mineral spirits and I pity the painters who are stuck by regulations with using such crap.

Hey, Osama, Los Angeles.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:12:03 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Sonny scrawled the following:

If you expect ANY green product to work as well as its chemical counterpart, you're in for continual disappointment, Sonny. They invariably mean a -lot- more work and they're usually not as good in the cleaning department. Citrus strippers are one of the few exceptions to that rule. "But you're saving the planet."

You bet.

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like lacquer thinner to clean most everything that you would clean with paint thinner or turpentine. Cleaning brushes used with oil paint I use thinner and a spinner because I save the thinner in can or jar and the finish settles to the bottom leaving mainly clear thinner for the next use. Lacquer seems to leave the finish suspended, so I generally don't use it for cleaning oil brushes.

But for cleaning most stuff, cleaning wax and oil off cast iron, or that goo that covers some new cast iron tools, or glue on my disc sander, lacquer thinner works great. I would be uncomfortable not having a gallon of lacquer thinner in my paint cabinet. Hell, I've even used it for thinning polyurethane for spraying... (Almost) anything paint thinner does, lacquer thinner does better.

As far as green stuff goes, I generally shy away from anything based on global fraud:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein

using an ounce of the real stuff, or wasting a pint of the "green" - whixh is worse for the environment?? Even the "green " isn't harmless.

Reply to
clare