Metric

Page 5 of 16

I the the jury is still out on the metric CLOCK. ;~)

Heh.....
I have no prob with metric, but I'll stick with Fahrenheit, too.
nb

A N D I can live with metric also. But the only ones that seem so concerned about the US still using inches are the ones that use the "easier" metric system. Easier is not always the best path to take.

it'll be in the high sixties" is more (im)precise than saying it'll be 17 to 21 degrees. I like centigrade because -40 is -40. Because zero is freezing, and 100 boiling, 36.8 is body temp, 42 a rather high fever.
--
Best regards
Han

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Why should we change _anything_?

Are they the majority? If not then what right do they have to impose their system on the majority?
wrote in message

Dollars are 10 based, just like metric, and it works. You seem to think is is bizarre.

They are your health care providers for starters.
Metric users are becoming the majority. Forward looking companies are making their products with metric hardware so they can export them. Too often, people lose sight of the world economy and the requirements of some countries with standards. They don't want inches any more than we wanted metric imported cars. That has been a sticking point with exporting in the automobile industry for many years.
When our company started buying Austrian made machines, it was a little learning curve. Like others I was a bit apprehensive about learning a new system. Once I did, I found it easier to work with, as have all of our supervisors, maintenance people, and so forth. Some are just afraid of change, afraid of having to learn a new different system.
Some of our industry tooling suppliers resisted the change and started to lose a lot of business. There has not been a US maker of our type of equipment for over 25 years so it was adapt or lose. A few went out of business, the others easily adapted and are doing well. In the future, it will be adapt or die. Do you want to be a part of the rest of the world? Perhaps you don't have to, but with more and more of our business being international, I prefer to adapt. Doing our little part of offset the trade imbalance.
:> :> Why should we change _anything_? : Dollars are 10 based, just like metric, and it works. You seem to think is : is bizarre.
Well, it's base 10, like the metric/SAI system (actually the dollar is base 100, as witness the penny, the nickel, and the 25-cent and 50-cent pieces, none of which correspond to a power-of-ten division of a dollar).
There's two separate things in the metric/Imperial debate (aka the wrong vs. right way debate). These often get confused.
One is the numeric base. The Imperial system is a mix of base 12 and base 16. Metric is base 10. It's easier to divide Imperial units into thirds, quarters, and so on than metric; and easier to divide metric amounts by powers of 10. Both 12 and 16 have more integral divisors than 10 does, and so Imperial makes it easier, one may argue, to divide lengths and areas and so on into equal-sized parts.
The other is the relative utility/ergonomicness/intuitiveness of the size of the basic units. In metric, the basic unit is the gram and kilogram; the millimeter and meter; and so on. tghere is a 1000-fold jump between the official units.
Some people feel, and I am one of them, that these central units are clunky, too far apart in their ratios, and don't corespond to the size discriminations I find useful to make.
Money is a very different thing, in that's it's a totally abstract system, and isn't subject to the same usability constraints that physical measurement systems are.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss a écrit :

You forgot one (intentionally?) :-) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_(United_States_coin)>

2, 3, 4, and 6 are just special cases. What if you have to cut something in 5 or 7 parts?

You can shorten the gap by using hecto-, deca-, deci-, and centi- for everyday measures.
When you buy cheese in Poland, you buy it in decagrams (dag): "Proszę piętnaście deka sera."
In Germany you can give your waist size or body height in cm: "Mein Bauchumfang beträgt 127 Zentimeter." Not my true girth, btw. but not much missing. :-)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix#General_use_of_prefix_names_and_symbols>

Well, the Imperial "system" is nothing to write home about.
:>none of which correspond to a power-of-ten division of a dollar). ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ : You forgot one (intentionally?) :-) : <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_(United_States_coin)>
No, didn't forget it. See above. I did mistakenly include the penny.
    -- Andy Barss
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you grew up in England then you might think it so.

So you're saying that we now live in a doctorocracy where "health care providers" get to tell us how to live our lives?

Fine. When they do then they'll vote to change the system and it will get changed. Meanwhile, get a life or take some Ritalin or do whatever you need to do in order to obtain some _PATIENCE_.

Yeah, like people walk into a car showroom and the first thing the do is pull a fastener and check the threads to see if it's metric.

You had to learn a new system in order to use Austrian made machines? What system was that, or didn't you already know metric?
Please be aware that I've been USING metric for going on 40 years. I just don't find it this totally wonderful life-improving convenience that its advocates claim it to be.

What change did they resist? Did the simply not make tooling for machinery that was becoming popular? If so that's stupidity having nothing to do with a measurement system.

I don't see where buying the tools you need is "adapting". You're making far too big a deal out of the metric system. I have tools that are English system and tools that are metric and a few that are neither. I use whichever tool I need for a job and don't really worry about it.

"Adapt" all you want to. JUST DON'T GO AROUND PASSING LAWS THAT TELL OTHER PEOPLE THAT THEY HAVE TO.

No, you are saying that. I"m saying many people work with metric as their standard for thier industry. It is not t he strange and scary unit that some people are afraid to use.

Why would I want to take drugs when I can just push your buttons?

Evidently, people in other countries used that as one of the reason they did not want to import US build cars. Univerality (and the associated money savings) allows for the ease of use of the same component for a car build in Detroit, Tokyo, or Berlin.

I had little exposure to metric. It was not taught in schoold in the 50's and 60's and I never had reason to use it on a regular basis. With new machines, I had to use it every day. Pressure gauges in bars, linear mesure in mm, etc.

They did not want to work with metric. Aluminum plate has to be 10mm thick so you either buy it or machine down the outer perimeter, an extra step. It meant u sing metric fasteners, and the resulting extra inventory. Their loss.

I'm not in favor of passing laws. I'm in favor of using a system that allows me to deal effectively in WORLD markets. Just smart business.
[snipped a whole bunch of stuff]

It will be interesting to see now that GM has sold controlling interest to European Opel brand to a Canadian company. GM used metric in Europe, but not here? Ford builds a great (Fiesta Econetic) car in Europe. Diesel. Safe. 65 MPG VERY economical.... but alas... not for sale here. Would that be a metric car, I wonder....

Some American built cars are metric, some not. It's been that way for over thirty years. The body of my (Ford) Ranger is metric and the engine SAE. My '74 (Ford) Rustang-II was the opposite.
In article

Yes.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Straw man. If you want to use metric use it. It's a free country.

<plonk>
<remainder snipped>

The trouble really isn't the origin of the system, but the fact that the old one still works perfectly well. When you get past 1/32", you might as well switch the decimal representation of the value, it'll be difficult any way.
Between feet, inches, and miles, just about every distance most people want expressed is expressed. It's not broken, it's just not always easy to convert between magnitudes... but points where one magnitude is equal to another in use are few. (And at points where the math is relatively easy.)
Puckdropper

Translation -> laziness.

Ok, What ia half of 5.3 mm?
Leon wrote: