Metric

Page 4 of 16

So instead of getting paid in dollars and cents should we change to a system of farthings, shillings, or ringgits?
Much of our country happily works with metric every day and have for decades. Those people don't look any worse for wear.
wrote in message

As mentioned, it is all what you are used to. As a born Hllander who came to the US in '69 at 25 yoa, I should tell you that getting used to inches and feet is not that easy at first, and I still have trouble with the farting fractions of an inch. The metric system, once you get used to it is much easier (IMNSHO) than the US system. An important thing to get under your hat is the idea of order of magnitude (1, 10, 100, 1000, etc). This will make it much easier to estimate whether your calculations were right, or that you forgot to enter a digit on your calculator, which then very accurately gave you an undesired answer. Know our orders of magnitude, and whoosh goes that problem.
Nevertheless, miles, feet, inches come pretty natural to me now, as do meters, centimeters and nanometers. To interchange them, I need a calculator calibrated to about 2.54 (cm/inch).
--
Best regards
Han

I am sure you are right. But respectfully I ask, if you have trouble with fractions of an inch, did you study fractions at all when growing up? Absolutely no disrespect is intended with that question. In the US we are taught fractions early in school, that may be why we prefer fractions of a measurement rather than a whole number portion of a measurement.
snip

In the times that I use metric and inches I just "round" 25 mm to the inch, 4" ~ 100mm. 1/2 inch ~ 12.5 mm or 6 1/2 mm 1/4 inch ~ 6.25mm or 6 1/4 mm 1/8 inch ~ 3.125mm or 3 1/8 mm

I'll answer honestly. YES!!! I was taught fractions. Ad nauseam. But it was more esoteric and academic then woodworking practicality. There were no woodworking classes in first through 4th grade in Holland. Certainly after that you were supposed to be able to do all the fractions "in your head". Getting rusty now ...
But that really is not your question. For me the problem is whether 5/16 is bigger or smaller than 1/4. Or similar problems, and I have to always back calculate that to identical denominators, and that isn't (anymore) automagical!!

Obviously I use very similar guestimates.
I do appreciate your discussion, Leon!!!
--
Best regards
Han

Well ther was no wood working in 4th grade here either. LOL.. But it was fractions fractions fractions. I suppose it helps to learn fractions when every measurement is done in fractions.

Is 5/16 bigger than 4/16? Granted I have to think a bit to deal with 64ths and smaller increments.
Well fractions can be tough to recognize as a specific amount. In school I studied Mechanical and Archetectural drafting with a scale, no pocket calculators or computers back then. Fractions became second nature.

Thank you Han!

You got me there! I was going in a different direction, and nothing like any kind of drafting was offered in my schools :(

--
Best regards
Han

inch,
When you get down to it as far as I'm concerned, it's all what sounds better. I've got to tell you, 75 F sounds a whole lot warmer than 24C. The older I get, the colder it seems to get.

When the Michiganians look at the weather channel and see that it is 70 in Port Huron Michigan and 20 in Sarnia Ontario...a lot of them stay home.
We like that.

..and by 'We Like that'..I, of course, mean that we think it is funny.........*smirk*
Upscale wrote:.
When the Michiganians look at the weather channel and see that it is 70 in Port Huron Michigan and 20 in Sarnia Ontario...a lot of them stay home.
"Robatoy" wrote:
We like that.
Yabutts so does their money.
Lew
"Robatoy" wrote: ------------------------------------------------ Yup. We do frown on illegal handguns coming into Canada. -----------------------------------------------
So how do they get in?
Lew

Can you think of a more porous border?
"Robatoy" wrote:

Guess that depends on location.
Lew

Well, they don't actually stop them, they just "frown" a lot..
nb

And we write angry letters and speak loudly sometimes.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

They need to start arresting smugglers instead of just frowning at them.
J. Clarke wrote:

It would be considerably less expensive to change the law on handguns.
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Nope, not a flick person
Comment was based on mt experiences sailing across Lake Erie or Lake Huron to various ports in Ontairo and checking in with customs.
Lew

Typical Michael Moore "facts". The truth is that gun ownership per capita in the U.S. is almost _three times_ the rate in Canada. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_gun_ownership
wrote in message

LOL, Move down to Houston. 24 sounds a lot cooler than 75. 98 is HOT.