Metric

Page 3 of 16

Personally...I don't give a fig about Newtons.
"Robatoy" wrote:

What about dynes or Joules?
Probably not much interest in them either.
Lew

Depends on what you mean... family Joules?

Except that Mr Joule was involved in the brewing of beer - and that's important!
:-)

It's practically the cradle of civilization!
http://beeradvocate.com/articles/673
nb

What challenge? Found it on the first Google search page:
http://tinyurl.com/mgxf2w
nb
notbob wrote:

Nicely done! I'd have bet against finding one from anyone other than a lab supplier
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
notbob wrote:

Science has been using the metric system since early on. The inch foot pound ... is clunky when dealing in volumes.
For the apple crate maker - do as he wants.
When dealing with numbers, the base 10 is always easier than some base this and some that and gradients in this and that ....
Science in the US is metric. It is the home folk and the building trades - general trades that remain that way.
Wood and metal people have different resolutions that cause issues. A metal person is in 1/10000 while a wood guy might be 1/16 1/8 1/4 and so forth e.g. more or less.
Schools taught metric, but they themselves don't use it. It is a classroom exercise not a way of life. Teachers don't want to learn it and use it like anyone else.
Slowly it is creeping into food storage. Machine bolts and such are mandated to go metric - and at first were Imperial just denoted in metric values. Sucky way at best.
There were at least three metric systems. It isn't a French system. It is a standard - a unified German, British, French and Japanese. Oh - the US had people there - and they agreed. And yes the standard is generated in France.
It was the measure used in the bible. It is much older than England or Britain.
I use metric all the time. I use Imperial all the time. I don't stick to one or the other. I have tools of both houses.
Martin [ any electrical, electronic, physics, and engineers in general are metric ]
J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

The metric system? Used in the Bible? I don't think so.

There are 10 commandments but most people use only a fraction of them.

I thought there were 613 commandments.
On 9/9/2009 7:34 PM Robatoy spake thus:

613 - 603 (# of commandments universally ignored) = 10.

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When you say "10", I don't know whether you're talking binary, octal, decimal, hexadecimal, or what. At least have the common courtesy to specify what number base you're using! Sheesh. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 02:04:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Nor do I. I really wouldn't use the Bible as a scientific/engineering guide. A cursory reading implies Pi = 3.000. KJV, I Kings 7: 26ff and II Chronicles 4: 2ff
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

The Legislature of the State of Indiana didn't do much better, four thousand years later: http://www.agecon.purdue . edu/crd/localgov/Second%20Level%20pages/Indiana_Pi_Story.htm
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:58:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Interesting! I'd heard of something like that, but in that tale it was the Alabama or Tennessee legislature and I'd considered it just another Urban Legend. Glad to see it was a Yankee legislature instead of another dumb redneck Southerner story.
In one sense, that's a fun story. In another sense, it's a little scary to see what could happen when legislators debate and vote on things they don't understand. It's very comforting to know that, in these enlightened times, our legislators in the state houses and congress never, never do that!
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Don't read well...
It was the Yard in the Bible. A cubic...
Martin
Doug Miller wrote:

Ummm.... no, it wasn't. The "yard" dates from medieval England. The length measurements used in the Bible were cubits and spans.