Metric

NBD - I have a 24" scale that'll handle the measurement accurately. I'd mark it with a knife and split the mark with my RAS. If I needed more than one I'd set a stop - look at the bottom of

for a setup that allows setting multiple stops on the RAS at one time (handy when there's expectation of doing another run of the same part or set of parts).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I work with metric these days. Frankly, in 20 years I've never seen anything 5.3mm called out. Nor have I seen .20866 inches. (Quick, what is half of that?)

One of the beauties of the system is things tend to be more whole numbers rather than 21/64 and 17/32. There is no logical reason that we could not comfortably change and use metric other that we don't want to change. The rest of the world manages to build some rather complex and sophisticated machines with it and I bet we could too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It is on the opposite side of the rule that has .20866 inches. Just flip it around

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So instead of getting paid in dollars and cents should we change to a system of farthings, shillings, or ringgits?

Much of our country happily works with metric every day and have for decades. Those people don't look any worse for wear.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, but you're talking about changing life long habits and that's not so easy a thing to do. The only way to realistically do anything is to teach the young how to use metric and let the old folks consign themselves to history.

Not saying it can't be done, just that there may be more prudent things to learn in the time the good old folks have left to them. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Exactly, being Canadian of sufficient age, I grew up based on the Imperial system, but the change happened when I was in high school, or was it junior high, sorry can't remember. Some things to this day are better in imperial, others make sense in metric.

But I still by 2x4s , and 4x8s as that is what they come in.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

[...]

ROTFLMAO! Excellent post, Luigi. Thanks!

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have rules in the shop that indicate that. Not a problem. But still I asked about a rule indicating 1/2 of 5.3 mm.

As for the 13 25/64, It is 13 inches plus the "only" mark in between 12/32" and 13/32", easily marked with a knife. But is there a rule that shows

2.65mm? Better yet, is there a rule that would indicate 5.3 mm let alone half of that distance?
Reply to
Leon

Yeah but! ;~) Isn't Ikea stuff metric?

Reply to
Leon

I just bet the 2x4 equivalent in metric would be the rounded also. We don't say give me the 1.5 x 3.5.

They would say give me the 50 x 100 eh!

Reply to
Leon

I'm pretty sure there are rules that mark .5mm, which is about .020', which is only .005" more tha 1/64. Your attempt to get someone to meet your absurd challenge of half of .3mm (.011) on a rule is as ridiculous as having a scale reading in 128ths. Who could use such a rule even if someone was stupid enough to make one. Besides, there are many other ways to measure other than with a rule. None of them have any use in woodworking. Give it a rest.

nb

Reply to
notbob

It all boils down to time Robatoy. It takes you longer to say metric stuff than inche stuff. Time is money.

In the time we can say 1/2 inch and measure it. You are still listening to the guy calling out, gimme Twelve m i l l - i - m e t e r s. Or drive one mile vs. drive one k i l l - o - m e t e r .

Too many dang syllables in that metric stuff.

Reply to
Leon

"Ed Pawlowski" snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote in news:fN-dnfI-v-thazvXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

As mentioned, it is all what you are used to. As a born Hllander who came to the US in '69 at 25 yoa, I should tell you that getting used to inches and feet is not that easy at first, and I still have trouble with the farting fractions of an inch. The metric system, once you get used to it is much easier (IMNSHO) than the US system. An important thing to get under your hat is the idea of order of magnitude (1, 10, 100, 1000, etc). This will make it much easier to estimate whether your calculations were right, or that you forgot to enter a digit on your calculator, which then very accurately gave you an undesired answer. Know our orders of magnitude, and whoosh goes that problem.

Nevertheless, miles, feet, inches come pretty natural to me now, as do meters, centimeters and nanometers. To interchange them, I need a calculator calibrated to about 2.54 (cm/inch).

Reply to
Han

I the the jury is still out on the metric CLOCK. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Give it a rest? Give it a rest? The OP asked why we hang on to imperial. I replied with what is half of 5.3mm. YOU gave the answer but tried with out success to show me a ruler with that marking. ;~) If you give up fine, you can give it a rest. I was only asking 2 reasonable questions.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly. It is the Knights Templar.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Heh.....

I have no prob with metric, but I'll stick with Fahrenheit, too.

nb

Reply to
notbob

It would be smarter to use a 24H clock though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What do you expect? It's 99% sawdust. Metric has to figure in there somewhere.

Reply to
Upscale

That's because NO ONE! makes a RULE in that small a graduation, in either Imperial or Metric. They don't make it cuz no one can use it!! There are other measuring instruments that can easily make that measurement in metric. What don't you understand?

nb

Reply to
notbob