Metric

Page 16 of 16
Andrew Barss wrote:

Actually they did have a way to multiply. Google "Roman Numeral Multiplication" and you'll find a number of descriptions of it.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I think you were right the first time. A tally system and Roman numerals do provide a way to express non-zero integer values, but neither supports what we'd be willing to accept as a complete set of arithmetic operations.
Consider how you might represent pi, or even just 1/2 with either notation. I don't even want to think about calculating the square root of II (or //).
A base n system provides a set of digits , so a base 1 system could only provide the digit 0. As soon as you attempt to increment a zero value you'd find yourself in the predicament of propagating a carry forever.
But it is kinda handy to toss (like a petard) into discussions of number systems. ;)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Dan Coby wrote:

I don't understand. The relationship between calorie and joule isn't a feature of SI. It's a conversion between two different systems.

XXICVIII