Metric

Page 13 of 16

That is an explanation I can live with.
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I think we just found the CZAR of metric. I'll call Obama. Thanks for volunteering Luigi!
Do I need to repeat that? :!)
Ease of learning: 3. Imperial measurements are easier to learn. You don't have to memorize all those crazy prefixes: femto, nano, micro, milli, centi, deci, deka, hecto, kilo, mega, myria, giga, etc.
No friggen kidden, I only knew about 4 or 5 of those, the last one because of my hard drive.
3. Metric measurements are easier to learn. You don't have to remember all those crazy measures like inches, hands, feet, cubits, yards, fathoms, rods, cones, chains, furlongs, cables, miles, etc.
We really only use feet, yards, miles and inches with any common regulirity.
But a good rod is needed for fishin, and cables for TV.
Arithmetic: 4. Imperial uses simple fractional arithmetic which we all learned in grade school. Not like metric where you need to know all those prefixes and can easily make a mistake on your calculator & cut something 10 times too big or 10 times too small.
Exactly
4. Metric uses simple decimal arithmetic where you can use your calculator directly without springing big bucks for one that calculates inches and fractions.
What fun is that?
Accuracy: 6. Metric is more accurate. You can easily go to 0.5mm which is more precise than 1/32"
Not if what you are measuring is 1/32" long.

And metric countries only use millimeters, meters and kilometers in normal every day life so what's your argument
(thats one less to worry about and simple conversion between any of them)

Excellent post, Luigi. Thanks!
In article

<SNIP>
Love it, that's one for the archive :-)
On 09/08/2009 06:32 AM, Robatoy wrote:

The cost for wholesale switchover would be a huge one-time cost, while the cost for staying is paid incrementally. There isn't enough incentive to make it worthwhile in the minds of regulators.
Kind of like keyboard layout...Dvorak is 10-15% faster for a trained typist, but the cost of switching is too high to make it worth doing.
I'm in Canada, so we get everything...metric, US, and Imperial. Personally I like metric for most things, but living so close to the US it's just easier to use US units for construction/woodworking.
Chris
: On 09/08/2009 06:32 AM, Robatoy wrote:
:> But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an :> archaic system? It's not archaic!
: The cost for wholesale switchover would be a huge one-time cost, while : the cost for staying is paid incrementally. There isn't enough : incentive to make it worthwhile in the minds of regulators.
: Kind of like keyboard layout...Dvorak is 10-15% faster for a trained : typist
That's a myth. And a quite interesting one at that:
http://www.reason.com/news/show/29944.html
It's not only NOT faster than a QWERTY keyboard for a trained typist, it's arguably slower, and Mr. Dvorak was a bit of a huckster.
: Personally I like metric for most things, but living so close to the US : it's just easier to use US units for construction/woodworking.
Otherwise, you'd find 2440 x 1220mm plywood panels easier and more intuitive to work with?
    -- Andy Barss
Get me a 2 x 4 sounds way better than get me a 5.08 x 10.16. (nominal of course actually a 3.81 x 8.89) What do they call a stud in the metric speaking countries. (there's a straihght line for ya)

An aldulterated stud or an unadulterated one?

An aldulterated stud or an unadulterated one?
They would call a stud a "mate" wouldn't they?

I just bet the 2x4 equivalent in metric would be the rounded also. We don't say give me the 1.5 x 3.5.
They would say give me the 50 x 100 eh!

50x100 but still just as nominal!
On 09/08/2009 04:00 PM, Andrew Barss wrote:

I should note up front that I use QWERTY and have never tried Dvorak.
There are arguments against that article. This post for instance is quite interesting and seems to bring up several easily-verifiable points:
http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/dvorak2.html
I got my 10% figure from Donald Norman's book, "The Design of Everyday Things". He notes that Dvorak affectionados claim higher improvements but that he could not substantiate them.
Quite a few people have indicated that Dvorak results in less stress on their joints.

No, I'd find 2400x1200 panels easier to work with. Why stick with 8' ceilings if we're truly going metric? But that would require redoing all the building standards for 400mm or 600mm centers instead of 16" or 24".
Chris

We tried that for a few years in Canada in the early 80s, with stuff on 400mm centres. Gave it up pretty quickly. Went back to 2440 by 1220 mm plywood, 16" centres and 38X89s.
Luigi
Andrew Barss wrote:

Oh oh - I just finished a drawing for a parabolic trough concentrator using dimensions of 2438.4 x 1219.2 mm :(
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I can expect to seem some aircraft-hangar walls flying overhead soon?
RE: Subject
Everytime this subject comes up, I'm reminded of my first day of Physics class.
Prof announced that during the quarter, he would be giving quizes to test our progress.
"The answer to every question will be "1 Me".
Your job will be to define the units of "Me".
As you can see, it made an impression.
Lew
Robatoy wrote:

I'm kinda hoping to keep the walls in place. :)
FYI - I've posted the latest bit of solar "zen" at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/HTAbsorber /
which is what has struggling to speak metric, physics, and French all at the same time.
My head hurts. :(
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar