MDF ok for rail and stiles?

Page 3 of 3
i dont mind

It will work fine. I have at the customers request on two different houses that he has lived in used MDF for all the cabinet doors and drawers. He spray painted them himself in his garage and they looked great.
You should however use a good quality oil based paint to help guard against nicks so that the paint does not wick into the edges.

I used to do a lot of that kind of work. 22mm (7/8) is much preferable because the mdf is quite flexible. Gluing the panel is good practice. Certainly three or even four hinges, the door will be heavy. Careful with clearances, especially with the thicker door.
Tim w

Why not go to a 7/8" and rout the design , with a template, right into the door. There are plenty of low-cost bits just for that job. You can use a combo of bits. Using 7/8" will leave you lots of room for some pretty cool patterns. Keep in mind, that you will get radius'd inside corners, but that makes painting/sanding and cleaning afterwards alot more pleasant. You can minimize the inside radii by making a pass with a small diameter bit.
Sharp bits grow less hair on the end-grain, so do slow feed-rates. Keep the bit RPM up though. When painting, use a piss-coat of the colour you are going to use first. That will wick in, and sets you up for a tougher edge. Alkyd based, and lots of drying time, with careful sanding in between.
There are heavy laquer-based primers for MDF available, but you need to spray them. In my old shop, we did several thousands of doors that way, with great results. Especially when we glazed them with a soft contrasting wipe afterwards. Many of my customers MUCH preferred those types of doors over the vinyl vacuum-formed ones.
If I was going to go through the hassle (and tons of MDF dust) to make 5-piece doors, I'd chose poplar....hands down. ..and Leon is right, don't worry about the screws when using Blum hinges. I suggest 3 hinges there for MDF, 2 for poplar.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Bingo! ... it's exactly what the big boys in the door industry do.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07