McFeely's

Page 3 of 5
Robatoy wrote:

Whoa dude! That BDS (Bush derangement syndrome) is getting pretty bad. Especially if you see that in the business model of a company that has had that policy for way more years than Bush has been in office. Israel? Huh?

You ARE kidding me, right?

Now I'm confused. I thought YOU were kidding.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Nova wrote:

I'm not sure I see your point. All that last says is that "We'll charge you sales tax unless you have a tax number".
You seem to be more interested in what a Web site says than in what happens in the real world and in the real world you walk into Grainger with money and a need for a product that they have in stock and they're more than happy to take your money and give you the product.
Try it. They're not going to shoot you.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

BTDT, To open my own business account I had to submit proof I was a valid business operator (NYS resale certificate).
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Who said anything about "opening my own business account"?
--John
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:33:47 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Well I tried ordering from the website some time ago. Keep in mind I live in NH with no sales tax, so regardless they weren't going to be charging me any tax. But they sent me back an email saying they couldn't verify my business. So I took my order to McMaster where I didn't have to deal with any hoops to jump through.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

Interesting. They never asked me about a business at all that I can recall. But maybe they've figured out now that they can make more by actually selling product than they can by alienating potential customers.
--John
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:42:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Likewise in Wichita, KS. I assume that if you have a tax exemption number, you can avoid the point of sale collection of the sales tax.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Doug Miller wrote:

Not in the sales tax world.

Absolutely true! States vary, locations vary.
My in-law's asbestos and lead abatement company went through a "use tax" audit that took almost two years to complete. CT is absolutely a pit bull with sales tax.

But we're not talking about sales tax right here. We're talking about Grainger's policy regarding who they will sell to, and who they won't. Their policy is that they sell only to businesses; the fact is that their definition of a "business" is lenient enough to include the sole proprietor working out of his own home.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Agreed, but I had to submit proof (NYS reseller certificate) before I was able to purchase from Grainger.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I imagine that what constitutes acceptable "business identification" may vary from one Grainger store to the next, and can be affected by state law as well. Indiana has a much less aggressive regulatory climate than New York.
--
Regards,
John Martin wrote:

They're set up to sell to people who are either maintaining facilities or manufacturing products--in the former case they assume that you're looking for a replacement for an existing part, while in the latter they're assuming that you're looking for something that was specified by an engineer. As long as you act like you're in one of those categories, i.e. have a part number and quantity or a sample of what you need or a busted part you need to replace, there shouldn't be any problem.
--John
John Martin wrote:

The one around here technically has that policy. However, when the guy asked for a business name, it was more of a "wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more" sort of thing.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

Probably has to do w/ how recently the local/state folks have audited their sales tax exemption records... :)
Here, they're pretty picky on them which discourages such "under the counter" sales as it's not a pretty pickle to get into (and can be expensive getting out).
dpb wrote:

When you order off the Web site they collect sales tax. The local branch belongs to the same company, so it's also "set up to collect sales tax" and they've never asked me for a tax number in the branch and have always collected tax. If you have a tax number they'll take it but they don't require it.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

They've changed, then...but it's been quite a while since I was where there was a local one. There, "no account, no sale" and no cash sales, only "on-account" and no tax on the invoices. Or, maybe local outlets didn't all operate under the same rules, only have the one to compare to.
Given the words on the web site that pretty much mirrored that, I figured that was still their operational mode...
What with the web sales and advent of integrated inventory and collection software, not too surprising they've "modernized". I've not bought anything direct from Grainger or McMaster-Carr in ten years as the local machine shop gets orders in next or second day routinely and since the shipping is amortized over the larger volume it's much more convenient and usually still cheaper after they take their cut to simply get them to place the order since they also just add it to the monthly statement.

dpb wrote:

Might be the Person Behind The Counter, too. My Dad and I used to buy anything we needed from Graybar in Jacksonville, FL. One day I went in to get some watertight conduit for the boat and the PBTC told me he wouldn't sell to me without either an electrician's license or a building permit. So I asked to talk to his supervisor and explained the situation, including the fact that they don't issue building permits for modifications made to boats and the supervisor tore the twit a new one and I walked out with my conduit.
Some PBTCs need to be LARTed a few times before they get it through their heads that their job is to sell stuff, not drum up business for members of the IBEW or whoever.
--John
J. Clarke wrote: ...

Sometimes, undoubtedly.
However, the thing w/ the Grainger in TN was that there were no cash sales of any kind -- everything was open-account so w/o the account, you didn't walk away w/ (anything except an account application, perhaps). Very handy as didn't have to have the checkbook or cash and made the transaction quick and sweet....of course, that was pushing 20 years ago now--it's depressing to realize that in some ways, refreshing in others... :)
As that was the only place ever was that had a local outlet, I assumed that was they operated everywhere.