matching Stickley finish

Page 1 of 3

I'm trying to match the darkest of the Stickley finishes, the antiqued look, and I'm trying to do it without getting and mixing a bunch of stuff. I figured there's got a be a basic stain out there like "dark stickley" or something pathetically simple like that. I wish I had the time and money to do this right, but the pieces aren't expensive, and I just need to get the color close. I've tried different stains, but none are dark enough. Thank you for any help. Peter snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Fume with ammonia.
I got a perfect match with brown dye and mahogany stain; on cherry.
"toller" wrote in message

If there was a cabal, it would now be haunting your every move ... if there was a cabal.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

The cabal, collectively.
toller wrote:

We are not pleased.
The first 3 rows of a rap concert?
Congress?
Home Shopping Network viewers?
On 25 May 2005 08:31:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Actually, according to F Paul Wilson (science fiction writer, "An Enemy of the State"), since a rap concert could reasonably be called a mob, to find the IQ of a mob, you take the average IQ of the people in the mob and divide by the number of people in the mob to get the collective IQ. i.e. 100 people, avg IQ of 80 => mob IQ = 0.8: about the IQ of a reasonably smart rock or the required IQ to actually enjoy rap music. ;-)
On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:25:47 -0700, Mark & Juanita
square root of the number of people, surely ?

That was always the formula I heard for the IQ of a meeting...

Nope. I think the point being made was that a mob essentially had less intelligence than an encephalated turnip (to borrow a term from an infamous e-bay listing).
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

IOW, government office workers (when not on break).during the day, and rap aficionado's at night?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05
Swingman wrote:

While I question Mark & Juanita's math in determining collective intelligence of the mob, I guess they can't be too far off since those who enjoy that sort of music are obviously fairly dense. I mean, how smart can they be when they keep forgetting to include the "silent C" in cRap Music?
Swingman wrote:

Sorry, wrong end of the stick. Not the office workers, the elected officials. Remember, you get the government you deserve. Most of the office workers are as upset about their managers as you are. They just can't say so by law or strike, by law. Their options are: 1. Sit down 2. Shut up. Only Congress can pass laws, hand out raises and make themselves exempt from the consequences of their actions.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message

rap
Damn ... you mean those are ALL member of "Congress" behind the counters and desks when you stand in line at the post office, or visit the DMV, the court house, municipal building departments, tax appraisal districts, school houses, or any of the myriad of other government offices??
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05
Swingman wrote:

No, I mean that the majority of the govenment workers are never seen by the public. The ones that are seen are as numbed by the constant abuse by members of the public as might be expected. For some reason people who are tlaking to other people across a counter day in and day out, aren't seen to be human beings by the people they are trying to help. They are seen as figureheads for an uncaring uber-company. It isn't surprising that they get burned out. The members of congress ensure that by degrading their retirements, benefits and wages on a regular basis. They are then used as scapegoats for the problems caused by those same members of Congress. But hey, that's just my opinion, and I don't work for the Government other than paying the taxes. You don't have to agree.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
spam wrote:

I entirely agree. I was a civilian employee of the Navy for thirteen years, and while I found that the proportion of lazy or incompetent employees seemed to be higher there than in private industry, so did the proportion of really top notch workers. Most government workers, in my experience, want to do a good job, but we are often hamstrung by absolutely ridiculous regulations.
A couple of examples from my experience managing a major Navy computer system:
- The system doesn't run nearly as fast as it could, and is in constant danger of crashing, because of the ten-year-old disc drives it uses. Due to their age and their outdated design, the monthly maintenance fees on these drives are sky-high. Replacing them with new drives would pay for itself in less than a year through the reduction in monthly maintenance fees ($440 per drive versus $38) and energy costs (over 200kwh per drive per *day* - really - vs. 180kwh per drive per *month*), but I can't buy replacements because the capital equipment budget has almost no funding -- but the maintenance budget is a pocket with no bottom. And it's a violation of Federal law to buy capital equipment with maintenance money.
- Then the Navy comes along with an energy-saving program. We can get capital equipment funding to replace old, inefficient equipment with newer machines that use less energy. Oh, boy! Here's my opportunity to replace those old disc drives, right? Wrong! My system isn't eligible, because I'm not spending _enough_ money: you have to lay out at least $100K to qualify. Okayyyyyyy...I have a few more drives, not quite as old, and not quite as expensive to operate, that I'd like to replace, too. That pushes it up over $100K... but it also pushes my payback period out from 10 months to 15. Sorry, still not eligible: you have to have payback in less than a year to qualify.
--
Regards,

One reason I feel that way is that I have to take off work this afternoon to make a second trip to the SSA to attempt to have an error corrected again.. It may not be the person I talk to, but somewhere in the bowels of the movement there are a couple of incompetent people that cannot make a simple correction.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Unfortunate, but hardly limited to the gov. I've been trying to get some parts for a Delta BS for almost a month now. Repeated contacts, all nice people, but my Bs is still down.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Turned out to be a good experience. The person I saw today took care of the problem instantly that was not done by others for a couple of years of shuffling documents. At least I have a receipt that says it was fixed.
Right about not just the government. Seems like the bigger and more sophisticated the company, the more difficult getting a resolution to simple problems. Dell and Gateway used to have good customer support, but now I never hear good about it. Same with insurance companies, health care providers (billing mostly).
Now Woodworker's Journal gave me a prompt reply. Seems like they have some good people.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/