matching Stickley finish

entertainment,

"Music" has a long history of spotlighting cultural/ethnic differences ... and one man's poi is another man's poison.

Reply to
Swingman

in the early days of jazz it was railed against by narrowminded white folks using the very arguments being used against rap today. how well do you actually know rap music, Mark?

Reply to
bridger

Believe it or not Bridger, I have actually listened to some of it. There may even be a couple of rap "pieces" I've found somewhat entertaining, but at an esoteric, occasional piece kind of way, certainly not as an entire genre of music. My primary gripe is not only the fact that it is very difficult to identify what one could call "music", but also the lyrical content is hardly what one could call entertainment, unless of course one enjoys the lilting lyrics of drunken sailors after they've mashed their thumbs with hammers. Now, as far as the "music" portion goes, lest you think this is a "narrow-minded white guy thing", I also find much modern classical music lacking in this department as well. When you read in the program, "xdx abandoned tonality at a young age, ...." you know that the evening's program is *not* going to be pleasant. :-)

Mark & Juanita

To be sure, Ornette Coleman is a very difficult listen. Miles Davis can be, but he can also set you on a course to Nirvana. Speaking of Nirvana, they were also a difficult listen. I just couldn't understand the words for the background noise. A young woman explained that they were the poets of her age. I guess I couldn't get everything that Led Zep sang either; the Beatles were something else. mahalo, jo4hn (happy birthday to me)

Reply to
jo4hn

I have had excellent support with Dell. (*) Tip: Buy computers & maintenance contracts through their "Small Business" portal.

-- Mark

(*) Including getting a laptop 1600x1200 LCD replaced that had been damaged by a BB gun. :-(

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Mark Jerde wrote:

I tried to buy a computer from them. They were doing this burger thing about having it your way. I asked if I could have a computer built without Winders, and with parts that were Linux supported. Two "NOs". Apparently you can have any computer you want, as long as it's the one by the door. Ought to call it Hobson's computer.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Dunno what parts you're having issues with, but we've never had a bit of trouble getting Linux running on any of the Dells at work.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Must be nice. I've been having Winmodem and scanner issues.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

It might be why they call it a Winmodem. ;-)

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I get that. This is a USR and I wasn't expecting it to turn out to be a Winmodem. Wouldn't have bought it if I'd seen that anywhere on the packaging. The scanner is a bigger issue.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax