Match for Carver-Tripp special walnut

I'm halfway through remodeling the kitchen. I've completed the new cabinet doors and am ready to move on to wrapping the island. However, when I went to stain a piece of trim I found my can of Carver-Tripp special walnut was still open and quite solid. Any suggestions for a cross reference or match for this stain? It looks more red/orange than any of the special walnuts I've looked at so far.

TIA

Reply to
John F. King

Just a thought, why not buy more CT?

Don't they sell that at Lowe's now? I don't know any stain manufacturers that make their colors so close to one another's that they are interchangeable. In fact, a great deal aren't even close to each other. The name they go by is simply a reference.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

As far as I know, Park corp (maker of Carver-Tripp) is out of business. I haven't been able to find any Carver-Tripp products at any of the usual stores. Searches on the internet come up empty also. My can has a 1998 date on it.

John

Reply to
John F. King

haven't been able to find any Carver-Tripp products at >any of the usual stores. Searches on the internet come up empty >also. My can has a 1998 date on it.

This might not get you much fartther.

didn't see much pertinent there, but I did find the phone number (!) for the Parks corp so you could call them directly. I tried it, the number works, so you could get it directly from them. They might be able to tell you if there is an accceptable substitute. Call them at

1-800-225-8543.

I didn't know CT products were even hard to find. They were really hard charging for years in the low VOC market.

Let us all know what you find out.

Also, I heard this, but have not confirmed this... a fellow remodeler told me a couple of weeks ago that his client went to Lowe's and they MATCHED stain. He claims the client was no idiot and wasn't screwing with him. I haven't ever heard of such a thing, but that sure doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Otherwise you are down to mixing all the nearest colors on your pieces of scrap to see how close you can get the final product. It isn't as hard as you might think to do that. But the deal killer is how the stain looks with the seal coat on it. Almost all oil finshes leave some amber behind after drying, and then continue to amber as time goes by.

And just a thought here, I wouldn't beat myself to death with matching. You won't get it perfect. Your wood will take the stain different than the original, the envorinmental conditions you apply the colorant in will not be exactly the same, and worse, sometimes there are small variances in the stain colors as batched at the plant.

Nothing is worse than spending time on something like that, hours of mixing an applying, letting samples dry on your exact match of wood, then clear coating to get something that is ONLY really close. Then of course, a more discerning eye sees the difference when they drive up the drive way. No need to even come in the house.

If you couldn't get it close enough to make it a perfect match in yoru eyes, I would change colors or hues and make the island an "accent" piece to the kitchen. That method has saved me more than once and always worked out well.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

haven't been able to find any Carver-Tripp products at >any of the usual stores. Searches on the internet come up empty >also. My can has a 1998 date on it.

I've got the same challenge! I've got a small amunt of Carver Tripp Special Walnut left, but I'll need more. A few years ago I was able to track down a source of the product - there was one in Minnesota, and one in central Pennsylvania. I don't have the info anymore, but I remain optimistic that it's still possible to get this stain. I'm using the oil wiping stain - great stuff, and about the only product I could find that satisfied my taste on white pine. I' ve also used the water-based special walnut from Carver Tripp but always found it too chaulky and needed to smooth it out with the wiping stain.

Reply to
edmandel

I emailed the NEWPARK corp and got a reply that basically said: "Sorry we don't make stain anymore. Good luck."

I mixed two parts Minwax english chestnut with 3 parts of colonial maple. It is darker on white oak and lighter on common trim stock than the CT special walnut. I'll have to try a few pieces and apply some poly before I decide if this is good enough of a match.

I haven't had the chance to try Lowes for matching.

John

Reply to
John F. King

Reply to
Bill

Hi John,

I am also trying to match Carver Tripp Special Walnut. My latest formula is equal parts of Minwax (Special Walnut + Red Oak + Ipswich Pine). I think the color is about right, but needs multiple coats to get it as dark as the CT stain. Are you happy with your results after applying poly?

Also, I spoke wih someone at Lowes locally here and was told they do not match stains.

Mike

Reply to
mike.miceli

I have the same problem but out can is empty and the date on it is 1998 als o special walnut. I am doing extensive research to locate it.

?Faith

Reply to
faithkok69

Minwax makes a clear finish called Poly Finish that is a mixture of tung oi l and polyurethane. It is a wipe-on product-I use women's pantyhose and th e application is great. I've never found that there is any distortion in t he stain color with this product. It comes in Satin or Gloss, and requires two coats. I use 0000 steel wool and a tack rag between coats. I've utili zed this product and never had any problem.

Jim S.

Reply to
jimstafford6

Women's panty hose was all the rage in 2007, when the question was posted. Today, 11 years later, the preferred method is to be wearing a Thong for applying MW.

Reply to
Leon

Talked with a person at Rust Oleum. There is NO MORE Carver Tripp products and has not been for several years. I know that Minwax special walnut is NOT a match. Varathane might be & I have some & will see. I have almost a full quart of the Carver Tripp Special Walnut, but I will need more to fin ish. Hope this helps. We are all out of luck, unless you find an old hard ware store that might have some.

Reply to
jimstafford6

There is NO MORE Carver Tripp of any kind or color, unless you can find an old hardware store that might still have some. . Minwax is not a match. I have a can of Varathane special walnut that I will try. I have almost a full can of the Carver Tripp special walnut , but I will need more. Frustr ating!

Reply to
jimstafford6

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Overalls would cover better.

Just overalls, no sense messing up a good shirt... especially if it's a lady applying the minwax!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The person you are answering asked this question 11 years ago. I highly suspect that he is no longer working on this project. You might reference the date of the post that you are answering.

Reply to
Leon

Where is my brain bleach?

Reply to