mason jars... shellac...

How big is a standard mason jar? A quart? Are these things available year round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

I've got a bag of weird orange fluffy stuff that I want to turn into wood finish one of these days. I already asked what to do with the unused portion, and it was suggested that I divvy it up into baggies. What I was thinking instead, though, was why not divvy it up into jars? Just buy a box of jars, then add alcohol as the occasion arises.

I have a bunch of jars already, but they're odd sizes from this and that that the previous homeowner washed out and stored. I can use those if needs be, but I was thinking just buying a new box might be easier and more certain. Plus I get a handy dandy box to store them in.

Approximately how much shellac flake/powder do I have to add to a jar to get what cut? I guess a quart is 1/4 gallon, so a 1-pound cut would be 4 oz. of flakes? Am I missing something?

Should I start with a big cut and subdivide it? The only shellac I've used so far was the Bullseye stuff, which was a 3# or 4# cut out of the can. I mixed it about 50/50 for my working batch, and then used the brush cleaner jar as a thin wash coat later on, once it got some shellac dissolved in it.

I haven't even built a project yet, and I'm way off from finishing, but I'm kind of eager to play with this. I might mix up a little bitty batch just to waste some. I want to see how the real stuff compares to the canned. I hope I'll be pleased.

Reply to
Silvan

Standard sizes are pint, quart, and half-gallon.

Should be available year-round. [snip]

Perzactly right. Not missing a thing.

I find a 2-lb cut is easier to apply than 3- or 4-lb. YMMV.

Doug Miller

The problem with using multiple jars is that they're a bitch to clean when you're done. If you're only ever going to use them for shellac, I guess that's not a big deal but I do a lot of canning and hate to toss them out.

And yeah, I know shellac is "food safe".

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

One of the big brand spaghetti sauces comes in mason jars, too. It's the quart size and if you make a lot of requests for pasta you might be able to get a good collection going pretty quickly. Even better, the jar covers are screw tops with a rubber type ring on the inside. Good closure over and over. Jar covers come tomato stained but I set them in the sunshine and the sun bleaches the orange out in a day or so.

Occasionally someone like Ace will set out white plastic one piece replacement covers, not suitable for canning but seems to be okay for short term shellac and oil based paint storage. These I'd be more likely to put a square of waxed paper between the jar and white plastic lid.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

I'd be using them just for shellac, yeah. We don't can anymore.

Yeahbut denatured alcohol sure ain't. I would never think of reusing these for food.

Reply to
Silvan

They do get hard to find outside of canning season. I seem to have good luck most of the time at Farm-n-Fleet around here. I'd say the most common size is a quart, but you can get 1/2 pint, pint, and somewhere you can get 2 quart jars, though I've never actually seen them for sale. As Doug suggested, some of the pasta sauce jars can be used. The ones that say "Mason" on them can be actually be used for canning, so regular canning lids fit. Personally, I'd stick with 2-piece lids because I think they seal better.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Huh? When you did can, did you not pour out old liquid before putting in the new stuff to can? Maybe even wash the jars? No? Gross!

Seriously, do you think shellac can withstand boiling water for any length of time? Or withstand 95 percent alcohol? Or are all the statements on the negatives of a shellac finish wrong? such as water is absorbed and turns it white spots, it is dissolved by alcohol, it is not heat resistant, etc.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Seriously, first, why would you need a Mason jar? All sorts of stuff comes in jars that are thrown away so why not use that type of jar?

Second, the stuff goes bad rather quickly and dissolving it, so why not mix the amount you need instead of a pint, a quart, a half gallon, etc. A variety of jar sizes allows you to select a size close to your estimate of the amount you need for a project. Before you use the jars, measure how much liquid they hold and mark it on them. BTW, lots of jars can use standard canning lids.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

No, actually, we haven't canned since I was a kid. There used to be a vacant lot across the street. Somebody plowed a bulldozer through it and stopped. That was a perfect spot for shooting used mason jars with my BB gun. :)

Seriously, denatured alcohol has a big skull and crossbones on the can, and it says it can't be made nonpoisonous. Sure, it probably all evaporated. Sure, boiling and washing probably got rid of every trace of it. But for the price of a box of mason jars, who wants to take a chance like that?! I don't eat out of something that has contained some poisonous chemical. Shellac may be edible, but I would not eat it unless it was prepared with pure boozing alcohol. I know all the solvent is supposed to evaporate, but what if some of it doesn't? It's just a stupid risk to take. (Not that I actually have any occasion to eat shellac, denatured alcohol or not. Not shellac I have applied myself anyway. If they use methyl alcohol to prepare food grade shellac coatings, I'll be really surprised though.)

Reply to
Silvan

Then there are the jelly jars. Though Silvan filters me, anyone else contemplating use of jars should remember that alcohol sucks water, so the less air the better in the container. Mixing shellac in the smallest possible container makes sense. As I apply with cloth, I find squeeze bottles best.

1 ounce (Av) = 1/16 of a pound 1 cup (8 Fl Oz) = 1/16 of a gallon.

What could be simpler?

Oh yes, if you look at food container cans and jars you see the same chisel in progress that you see with coffee. The jar is probably 15 Fl Oz by now, some less. The pound of coffee is 12 oz, but the old "three pound" size even chisels on that, being 34.5!!!!

Reply to
George

Clean out the shellac with denatured alcohol, then rinse thoroughly with vodka. :-)

Doug Miller

Mason jars come in standard sizes (pint, quart, & half-gallon), and usually have volume markings up one side as well, which makes it a *lot* easier to consistently mix a particular cut of shellac. "All sorts of stuff" comes in jars that are odd sizes (e.g. 14 oz instead of a full pint) and have no volume markings.

If you want a particular cut of shellac, it's easier to calculate how much shellac and alcohol you need if you're using standard sizes. A pound is sixteen ounces. A gallon is sixteen cups. 1-lb cut = 1 lb per gallon or 1 oz per cup. Easy.

So does a pint (or quart) mason jar with volume marks up the side.

If you use mason jars, they're already marked. It's molded into the glass, and you don't have to worry about the alcohol erasing your markings.

Doug Miller

It won't clean off in a dishwasher. There's a big gap between "doesn't stand up to it as a finish" and "Can be cleaned off effectively by it".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:31:38 -0600, "Todd Fatheree" calmly ranted:

I got a case of 12 quart-sized widemouths w/ lids at Wally World for $8, but I don't remember what month. Probably late spring or summer.

How do the seals react to soaking in shellac?

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
nospambob

The toxic levels for methanol are measured in grams. Any residual amount remaining in a mason jar after it has been sterilized (the boiling point of methanol is 67C, sterilization typically occurs at 100C or above) is not going to be a health hazard.

No, you don't want to drink the stuff, but it's not like it's a neurotoxin effective in microgram quantities or anything.

One must maintain a sense of proportion about this sort of thing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

As others have said they're hard to find out of canning season. I found one of the few REAL, old style hardware stores here can order them for me with a three or four day delivery time at the normal price anytime. They're a little more that the box stores, but for any size from 8oz to half gallon whenever I need them I'll keep buying from them. I seem to remember a mention of using plastic wrap between the jar and lid to keep the threads clean.

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Ammonia. Pour out the remaining shellac, let dry or not, pour in ammonia and hot water, white stuff comes off with any kitchen scrubber. Save up a few jars and do them all at once outside.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

develop a peanut butter habit. great jars....

Reply to
bridger

Yes. And they're plastic, at least around here, so breakage isn't a problem. The smaller ones are great for all kinds of modest sized fasteners.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self