Makita MXT cordless drills defective?

I'm aware that Makita drills are well-respected. My dad is very good at using tools and likes them.
Recently I bought a Makita 18 volt MXT that just stopped turning after drilling a few continuous holes in a 2 x 4. Apparently something in the drive train disconnected, something other than the chuck/bit or the clutch.
So I'm still looking for a drill. I'm wondering whether that was bad luck, should I avoid the MXT line, or just avoid the 18 V MXT.
Thank you.

Mine has served me well for some time now.
-Steve W
John Doe wrote:

Just purchased an 18 volt Rigid. It has a good reputation as a solid tool and right now they're offering a lifetime warranty that "includes" the batteries.
dennis in nca

Yes, but in the near future you learn an unpleasant lesson about Home Depot branded tools. They change the part number, color or appearance and when you ask for a replacement they tell you they don't make that model anymore and you are SOL. Been there with wrenches and screwdrivers. Leigh at MarMachine