making dowls

Page 1 of 2

I need some dowls for a project using some exotic stock.
I've tried to buy dowls for a project in the past but none of them are round and most are bent.
Anyone have a jig or tool for making acurate dowls that works?
From Lee Valley
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pR401&cat=1,180,42288

william kossack wrote:

Some of these are better than others, and it seem to be function of what wood you use and long you are making your dowels.
http://tinyurl.com/mll5p
When I need a hardwood dowel I go to Woodcraft and buy one I can hold in my hand for inspection. I can make the larger ones on my lathe, but for anything around 1/4", I just buy it. I really only use dowels for plugs or decorations, so others might help you better if you need something more specialized.
Robert
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 07:38:55 -0600, william kossack

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pR401&catQ&ap=2
I've seen these but I've heard they don't work very well.
At least that is what I've heard.
Prometheus wrote:

william kossack wrote:

1. Stock squared to diameter needed
2. 1/4 round router bit with correct radius
3. Four passes on a router table (leave enough stock square at each end so it will run against table & fence).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

william kossack wrote:

This looks a little scary: http://www.routerworkshop.com/easydl.html
This looks a little too complicated: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&IDS
Or you could just take a piece of square stock the appropriate size and run it through your router table using a 1/4 round-over bit on all four sides just leaving the ends square.
the second I think requires that you start with a round dowl otherwise how to you round it true with the bit?
RayV wrote:

william kossack wrote:

No, you start with square stock. The round infeed hole is the diameter of the stock diagonal...as the square stock is fed through the infeed hole it is rotated and the router bit cuts it round...it then enters the outfeed hole which is the diameter of the finished dowel.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

I consider a dowel to be a round piece of wood that is completely hidden in a joint or seem. A peg is a round piece of wood that is partially embedded and the remainder protrudes from the work piece. A plug is round piece of wood that is partially embedded and cut flush to the wood.
Sorry for the above but I can not understand why a dowel in the above would need to be made from exotics.
However, what size of dowel, do you need? Dave
because it will be seen
Teamcasa wrote:

Then you don't need a dowel, you need a plug. DAGS plug cutter. Lee Valley and others have them - in-expensive. Dave

Valley
I respectfully dissent. I think he wants a dowel
A plug is cut with a cross-grain orientation.
IMO, there are more definitions/usages than you cite.
Interestingly, dowel, peg and plug are can all used as both noun and verb. IMO "dowel" can refer to any long-grain cylindrical stock... including that which is used to "peg" a tennon.
Cheers,
Steve
this is not a joining project.
The dowls are needed for a project using a beall threading rig
Stephen M wrote:

"william kossack"

Well now we are getting somewhere. What diameter? Others have suggest very good methods for making a "wooden bolt/screw blank - to be threaded" I like a rotary plane or a lathe for making these.
Dave
So, when you go into the wood store, you ask for round wooden sticks as, by your definition, they can not be called a dowel.

in
embedded

Well - I did say "I consider...". But yes I really don't care what anyone else calls them. Here's some more Daveisams:
Rod - Round stick, not generally used as a dowel. Tube - Round hollow stick, not generally used as a dowel. Pin - Round or multisided stick, not generally used as a dowel, mainly used for indexing.
Dave
I've not seen any dowls in the stores that are really round or straight