Making a simple QSWO picture frame... (w/pics)

Hello everyone,
I started tonight on a simple quatersawn white oak picture frame for an oil painting on canvas I picked up in Cuba over Christmas.
I had to make a new frame to stretch the canvas over, (it was removed from the frame for transport)
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/CANVASFRAME.JPG
Just a simple soft maple frame pocket screwed together.
I had some quarter sawn white oak I picked up a while ago and decided to make the actual picture from from it,
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/woframeinclamps.jpg
Here it is in clamps, about 1.75" wide, #10 biscuits at the corners. You can see the part of the biscuits protruding into the frame itself. They
will be trimmed later and not seen.
Here is a pic of sanding the entire frame flush with 240 grit,
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/sanding.jpg
I stretched the canvas over the maple frame and secured it with tacks,
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/canvasonframe.jpg
I don't speak Spanish, but this tag was on the back of the canvas. I had to pay $2.00 for this tag in order to take it out of Cuba,
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/exporttag.jpg
Here I am making the rebate in the back of the QSWO frame for the picture to fit into,
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/rebate.jpg
Not the best shot, but here I am squaring up the rounded corners of the rebate so the picture will fit in,
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/squaringcorners.jpg
Here is a test fit of the picture in the frame. You can see the simple edge bead I put on the frame. Very simple, but I think nice,
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/testfit.jpg
Now for the scary part,
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/ammonia.jpg
I plan to fume this QSWO frame with blueprint ammonia. This is not for the faint of heart, many safety precautions need to be taken, this
stuff is dangerous. I am wearing an organic airfilter, googles and heavy acid gloves.
You can see the frame in a garbage can on a supporting frame. There is a glass pie plate in there onto which I will pour a pint or two of
ammonia.
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/ammonia.jpg
I put a garbage bag over the top (now side) of the garbage can to act as a gasket and I put the top on. It is well sealed now, as the lid was
tough to put on. I will leave the frame in there to fume for between 24-48 hours. I expect the frame to turn a dark chocolate brown, but the
ray flecks of the QSWO to remain light and luminescent, unlike the muddiness they would take on if the fram was stained.
http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/sealedfornow.jpg
More pics in a few days when I take the frame out of the fuming chamber,
David.
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:12:24 -0700, "David F. Eisan"

I'm tellin' the EPA....
<snip, fuming with ammonia>

Ah, one of my flavourite threads,
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/f4a83027c9657ed1/48a70f6d87d29c52?lnk=st&q=epa+group:rec.woodworking+author:eisan&rnum=1&hl=en#48a70f6d87d29c52
And here I thought no one would remember, snif...
David.
Very nice, David.
Wonder why you didn't miter the QSWO frame, however. I think it would've looked much nicer that way.
Mike

Because of the bead. I thought the end grain blow out of the itty bitty mitred corner would be terrible. Plus, it was easier and required less material.
David.
David Eisan wrote:

cut the bead before the miters....

would've
How do I do that when the bead will cross the mitre from the vertical and onto the horizontal pieces?
David.
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:42:21 -0400, "David Eisan"

miter all 4 corners was what I was thinking....