Making a (bevel) molding plane

Impressive video, you may enjoy (fast too):

Bill

The write-up, under the video, notes that the free plans can be had here:

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thank you, Sonny. The SU model helped me understand what was going on better. The project is "beyond me", at least at this point, but I appreciate the "artistry" of the craftsman. Most of us would have reached over and grabbed a block plane--so uncivilized! ; )

Reply to
Bill

I turned a carving mallet but it was time measured in minutes and additional materials were not needed. Just one piece of firewood.

If I made all my own tools I'd need to figure out how to alter time.

Reply to
Electric Comet

Initial and date your mallet?

Sometimes, improvising/making a tool is a project, in and of itself, so the time value doesn't matter. It's the accomplishment, even though it's a usable tool. Later, it may become an heirloom, for your son(s)/daughter(s)/grands, not just "a tool".

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

About 8 years ago I decided I was interested in making a banjo something like this:

And after studying it for a while, I realized I should learn how to make a box first. The banjo project is "almost" in sight. I bought the hoop (Oak). The banjo doesn't look much more difficult than the plane above! I still may seek my entryway into luthery via mountain dulcimer, we'll see.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No. Now if I give it to someone I may do so they can blame me.

Agree with all that. But too many other things need doin

Reply to
Electric Comet