mailorder is for the birds

Page 2 of 2
Got the same in MI. Same rate of compliance, I'll wager.
I paid for the business, of course, because it was just passed through.
in message

mail
all
My Grizzly bandsaw came by FedEx truck with a lift gate and a petite driver who insisted on hand carting it out to the shop and inside the door. That was in the old days -- 2000.
prsyscon wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Well, I've had no problems with any of the Grizzly tools I've purchased, but I actually read the terms when I purchased them and thus expected to unload them myself. I have the G0500 also, and it had no damage at all to it or to the crate. Obviously thier choice of material is fine for 400 pounds of machinery.
Just in case you are unaware, they also will not come to your shop to assemble your tools or run them for you either.
Frank
Frank Ketchum wrote:

I didn't say that I was unaware of that policy. What I'm saying is that in this day and age of lift gate trucks or even a simple built in ramp like all moving trucks have why would you expect your customers to lift extremely heavy boxes for no reason?
I happen to be a disabled veteran who shouldn't lift things over 100 lbs. Less than that really but it's hard to admit you aren't what you used to be.
The R Man
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:18:32 -0600, prsyscon

Freight companies move stuff from dock to dock. The docks often have forklifts, pallet jacks, extra labor, etc... Freight companies are usually not equipped for residential delivery. So, yes, they do expect the customer to lift heavy boxes, and Grizzly says so right on the site.

Sorry to hear of your injuries. Many freight companies can provide lift gate service and inside delivery, but you should expect to pay for it. In some cases the extra handling and service can cost much more than normal delivery charge.
The phone company I work for has switching centers that are usually not dock equipped, and many don't have the room to maneuver a tractor trailer. We have to have our non-UPS shipments sent to a local mover, who then delivers the shipment to us with lift gate equipped straight trucks and extra manpower. Sometimes we pay hundreds of dollars to have ONE 250 pound pallet accepted, stored, delivered, and brought into the building. It often costs just a little more to have (5) 250 pound pallets delivered than it does for the first.
FWIW, this is where some of the savings of Grizzly and other direct equipment is gained. When you buy a tool via a retailer, the retailer adds the cost of local handling and delivery to the wholesale cost of the tool, therefore driving the retail price up.
Grizzly also removes the middleman's profit. In some cases, that middleman EARNS his profit by acting on behalf of his customer for warranty claims, parts support, etc... A good retailer might "borrow" a much needed, back ordered part off of an in-stock tool to keep a good customer up and running. Mail order vendors, such as Amazon, and poorly operated local retailers are unlikely to do this.
This is why I figure the total _value_ of buying tools locally in addition to the bottom line price. In your case, becoming a regular customer at a local dealer may cost a few bucks more, but it could gain you delivery at a reasonable price, setup assistance, etc...
Barry
I really wish I could agree with you. Overall, I've had much worse service with the local guys than I've had with Lee Valley, Amazon, Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Rockler, etc.
I really would rather buy local, but they sure do make it hard. Yesterday at Sears it took 3 clerks and one manager to determine that the reduced sticker on a can of paint did in fact mean the price was reduced; Saturday at the locally owned hardware store one of thier clerks asked if he could help me in the electrical section - -I asked about alligator clips, he said he didn't think they carried them - while I was waving a bag full in his face. The same store earlier absolutely and catagorically refused any help what-so-ever beyond delivering it to my street if I bought a band saw. Lowes took a week to deliver a drill press from their other store about 10 miles away -- need I say more?
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:13:12 -0600, prsyscon

Don't know what to tell you other than perhaps you should have bought from a catalog where company is not just though Amazon.

I thought Grizzly stated that they ship by common carrier and that it was dropped at curb, etc. and your responsibiltiy beyond that? I've never ordered something large from Grizzly and have known of this.

While it would be nice for these folks to call you daily with the status of your item, it would be nice of them to e-mail as well. Why they don't, well when you shop price, *customer service* is the first thing to often be cut. US buyers always want to shop price, but then are upset when there is no service. Remember Ben Franklin...didn't he say something like, "long after the victory of low price is the bitterness of poor quality!"

How do you figure that collecting sales tax will force companies to have better service? One does not have any connection to the other. OTOH, maybe you know something I don't.

Are you just a mal-content or do problems find you?
--
Best,
Kirby