Lynx Handmade Saws

Anyone have any experience with these saws as sold by Woodcraft? I've got my eye on a 26" 4.5 TPI rip saw and a 22" 12 TPI crosscut saw at steeply discounted prices... store failure and liquidation. I'd been waiting for L-N to get his saws to market but based on my last conversation with Tom L-N that isn't going to happen soon due to production startup issues--handles that meet his high standards. If the Lynx saws aren't superior tools I'd just as soon wait for Tom L-N to get his saws to market... Any feedback is appreciated.
John
I DO NOT have experience with the Lynx saws.
I do have experience with the L-N tenon saws and several L-N planes. EXCELLENT tools, every one. I'll continue to bur L-N tools.
BUT, I also have expereince with a framesaw, e.g.:
http://www.fine-tools.com/gestell.htm
The E.C.E. framesaw with the Japanese style blades is awsome. I defer to The Master (Tage Fride), and understand why he recomends fram saws for msot work.
Usual disclaimers apply.
Zzzzzz-Zzzzzzz
-Zz
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:13:38 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"

I've got a couple L-N back saws, and a couple planes, and couple spoke shaves... great tools. Issue is waiting for Tom L-N to get the panel saws to market or snap up the Lynx saws now at a steep discount (two for far less than the price of one L-N saw at the anticipated pricing).

I've considered them and will likely end up with one or more somewhere along the line. ;~)
John

I ended up picking up the two saws... the price was too good to pass up on hand made saws. They feel good and cut good. The only weak thing is that they don't have those nice curly maple handles like the L-N saws... I still need a nice 26" crosscut saw of about 6-8 TPI so one of those curly maple beauties will find it's way into my shop yet. ;~)
John
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 02:44:12 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"

John:
If you ever get a chance, get hold of a Disston from the beginnings of the previous century. They are out there and they are better than any of the current crop.
The steel is immaculate and the workmanship is without compare.
You can often pick these up for pennies in the roadside venues.
I own two of the Lynx brand and half a dozen of the old Disstons.
I'd happily sell the Lynx's for a few more Disstons.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Yeah, I've got a apple handled D-23 of 9tpi and tapered blade that cuts sooooooo sweetly, these were last made in '17 I believe. AAvK
Tom Watson wrote:

Oh, I don't know. An old Atkins "silver steel" saw compares pretty good :-).
-- It's turtles, all the way down
Tom Watson wrote:

I'd love to have some nice old saws... but don't have the time, or interest in making the time, to go find them. I've got so many other things to focus on!
Pretty much all the nice old tools I've got (e.g., Stanley 45 plane, Sergeant rabbet plane, socket chisels, etc.) were found in dead relative's basements or in the basement of a house I bought. Due to attrition I'm running out of free "good old tool" sources. I'll be tapping into the mass market Crapsman and other low end powertools with the next round of passings. I suppose I might find some of the current generation of good tools (e.g., L-N) if I get friendly with the spouses of some of the older members of my club... but that would be blatantly opportunistic... and I don't know if I could live with myself. ;~)
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

No need for that, although the "hunt" can be fun. Look on Ebay under collectibles. Last time I looked there were lots of Disstons and a sprinkling of other brands.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Anyone have any experience with these saws as sold by Woodcraft? I've got my > eye on a 26" 4.5 TPI rip saw and a 22" 12 TPI crosscut saw at steeply > discounted prices... store failure and liquidation. I'd been waiting for L-N > to get his saws to market but based on my last conversation with Tom L-N > that isn't going to happen soon due to production startup issues--handles > that meet his high standards. If the Lynx saws aren't superior tools I'd > just as soon wait for Tom L-N to get his saws to market... Any feedback is > appreciated. > > John Hopefully no one thinks I am being too predatory...
The Lynx are OK saws. Decent steel, not so great of handles. Certainly cheaper than if Tom gets his panel saw to market even without the deal you can get. I've handled his panel saw--it is nice.
As a consideration:
http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/pe/pe_0006a.jpg
Take care, Mike