Lye in S.E. America?

Page 1 of 2
Preferably in SW FLA or SW North Carolina.
A source for plain ole Lye. If you know of one, pls advise if you know of a source.

Any hardware store should have it -- Ace, TruValue, Do-It-Best, etc. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Home Depot or Lowe's, too, but can't swear to it. Lots of grocery stores around here (Indianapolis) sell it, too.
Ask for Red Devil lye. It's the most common brand.
--
Regards,

cleaner that had lye as the only active ingredient. Didn't like what it did to cherry.
Toller wrote:

Was it white? If not it had a dye in it. Not an active ingredient when cleaning drains perhaps. Draino also has aluminum flakes in it, which is an active ingredient, a very active one and should be labeled as such.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Actually, lye IS an active ingredient. Lye dissolves fats (lye plus fat makes soap) and lye dissolves proteins. Thus lye is active for the two major causes of drain blockage.
Lye acting on the aluminum creates heat and bubbles, increasing the possibility of moving mass obstructions.

He said the *dye* is not an active ingredient...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

active ingredient" referred to. You inferred one way, I inferred a different way.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I only mentioned two ingredients, dye and aluminum flakes. That just goes to show how easy it is to miscommunicate.
--

FF

George E. Cawthon wrote: <snip>

Lye plus aluminum plus water creates hydrogen.
When I was a curious lad, I used to place a tablespoon of Drano brand lye in an old soda pop bottle along with some water and then stick in strips of aluminum foil and place a balloon over the mouth of the bottle and the balloon would fill up with hydrogen. If you add too much lye, it will generate enough heat to crack the bottle, so be very careful and start with small amounts.

For what it's worth, when lye reacts with aluminum it generates hydrogen.
RE: Subject
Lye, AKA: Caustic or sodium hydroxide.
May not be available to the general retail public, but a very common industrial chemical.
Lew
Did a Google search on Red Devil Lye. First place I went to had it.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Oh for Pete's sake. This comes up all the time. Lye is commonly available in grocery stores and many other types of stores.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Things change. From "Wikipedia" regarding lye uses"
"Illegal drugs
Because it is a key ingredient in the process of making Methamphetamine, it is now impossible to purchase pure Sodium hydroxide as a consumer product in the United States. Products containing pure Sodium hydroxide, such as Red Devil, are no longer available for sale. As a result, amateur soapmakers must now purchase Sodium hydroxide in bulk."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide#Illegal_drugs
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

accurately) isn't true. You should know that individuals write Wikipedia and you have to be rather skeptical of the articles. For example, look above at the poorly written part that you quote, "Products containing pure Sodium hydroxide...." That statement is very strange in addition to the capitalized sodium. "Products containing" sounds like you have pure sodium hydroxide mixed with other things which would make the sodium hydroxide impure.
In any case, oven cleaners (which are NaOH with a propellant) are still widely available, as well as dry NaOH in pound quantities, in the PNW. That makes the Wikipedia article untrue.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

<snip>
Here's a link to a soap makers supply that sells lye. Read their statement on compliance with state/local laws. Note the Indiana "MethWatch" symbol near the bottom of the page.
http://www.thesoapdish.com/caustics.htm
Other "MethWatch" states include:
Georgia Indiana Iowa Maine Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Montana New Mexico North Carolina Oregon Pennsylvania South Carolina Tennessee Texas Virginia Washington Wyoming
Federal legislation is being called for.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I live in Indianapolis -- I'll check tomorrow at the store where I bought Red Devil the last time I wanted some and see if they still have it. And I'll let you know.
--
Regards,
Nova wrote:

participation in the program is voluntary and they set their own limits and parameters. Control of the main substance is far more important and is currently being addressed in many or most states.
Glad to see that Idaho is not on that list of MethWatch states. Federal and State officials indicate that most meth that comes into Idaho is manufactured in Mexico, not locally manufactured. So, focus on controlling something like NaOH would be rather unproductive.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Thank God they don't make crystal Meth from wood!
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:
> Thank God they don't make crystal Meth from wood!
Was recently talking to an MD who is in family practice.
As far as he was concerned, the scariest substance on the planet right now is crystal meth.
Provides the highest high of any drug, and it is almost instantaneous.
Also an instantaneous drop when it wears off.
So simple and cheap to make, so totally addictive, so totally destructive to the user.
Before you ask, no the conversation never got around to including nuclear materials.
Lew