LV newsletter

Here's a link to the recent Lee Valley woodworking newsletter -

- always a few interesting articles. You can subscribe to it via a link at the bottom - they promise to keep your email address confidential.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thanks!

Actually, I like the Wheelbarrow Booster offered at the bottom of that page.

I have a lot of boulders to move and I'm just not getting it done fast enough. Tripling the size of my wheelbarrow would really speed things up. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

at least until their database is compromised and all the info is leaked but still worth it as they have good stuff

if you said they are using an encrypted database that would be impressive

Reply to
Electric Comet

They are using an encrypted database.

Impressed?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Funny thing about encrypted databases. They all need a key or certificate (still a key) to decrypt the data. If you can get the key you have the db.

For apps that use encrypted fields, the app usually has the encrypted key in it. Read the key and you have the data. Depending on how well the key is protected, is how well it is to get at.

Brute force is always an option...

Security is just an illusion.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:3q-dnQJTr7m9vG7KnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

I don't agree that security is just an illusion. Absolute security, absolutely. However, there are things you can do that actually provide usable security. The key is to reduce the reward:effort ratio of the target by increasing the effort it takes to steal something. By locking your car, a thief now has to smash a window or open the lock somehow.

Do people still have locked cars broken in to? You bet! Absolute security is an illusion. Does locking the car keep thieves out? Sometimes.

One fellow wrote The 10 Immutable Laws of Security. It's worth a read, even if you're not computer savvy. One that sticks with me is "if they have physical access to your device, it's all over."

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

re: information security concerns - - only your email address is required - no name or account number or anything else is referenced.

John T.

Reply to
hubops