Lumber sources in Central NC

I just moved to the Research Triangle area of NC and have been setting up my shop. However, there don't seem to be lumber suppliers around. I can't believe that NC, the furniture capitol of the US, isn't overrun with lumber suppliers. Any guidance?
Steve
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:14:00 GMT, "Steven and Gail Peterson"

what kinds ya lookin fer? capital city off hillsboro street has a fair selection but they are right proud of it. for exotics there is a place in fuquay varina at the corner of hwy 55 and 42 behind the flee market..raliegh hardwood supply on poole road a mile or so off the beltline has a great supply most of the time but they aint cheep either. also williams lumber? i think thats right is out near smithfield. where in the park are ya?
skeez
Join us at the Triangle Woodworkers Assn. and learn the secrets, including the people with piles in the yard.
See http://www.ibiblio.org/twa /
We meet third Tuesdays at the Woodworking Shop, on Capital, conveniently across from Harbor Freight!
See the newsletters on the site and let me know if you have Qs.
Wilson
wrote:

my
lumber
Thu, Nov 4, 2004, 12:47am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Wilson) claims: Join us <snip> We meet third Tuesdays at the Woodworking Shop, on Capital, conveniently across from Harbor Freight! <snip>
Huh. I'm surprised they'd let that many of you in one place at the same time. Never paid attention to any Woodworking Shop, but get to HF every once in awhile. If I'm ever in that area on a 3d Tue, I'll try to stop. Do I need a secret knock, or do I just holler as I come in, "It's JOAT, don't shoot!"? LMAO Or, maybe I should get a concealed carry permit first. Hehehe
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
no secret knock needed - just some form of facial hair and a plaid shirt. - jim
(Wilson) claims: Join us <snip> We meet third Tuesdays at the Woodworking Shop, on Capital, conveniently across from Harbor Freight! <snip>
Huh. I'm surprised they'd let that many of you in one place at the same time. Never paid attention to any Woodworking Shop, but get to HF every once in awhile. If I'm ever in that area on a 3d Tue, I'll try to stop. Do I need a secret knock, or do I just holler as I come in, "It's JOAT, don't shoot!"? LMAO Or, maybe I should get a concealed carry permit first. Hehehe
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
Fri, Nov 5, 2004, 9:29am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (JimWheeler) claims: no secret knock needed - just some form of facial hair and a plaid shirt. - jim
Hmmm. Plaid shirt, no prob. But, SOL on facial hair. First cold, with a moustache, cured me of retaining facial hair.
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
Wed, Nov 3, 2004, 9:14pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (StevenandGailPeterson) says: <snip> Any guidance?
Phonebook. Raleigh.
JOAT When you choose an action, you choose the consequences. - Unknown
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:14:00 GMT, "Steven and Gail Peterson"

Steve, in Gibsonville there is The Hardwood Store (http://www.hardwoodstore.com /). Pretty good selection, pick your own and reasonable prices. It is about 4 miles north from I85/I40 (Take I40 West) at exit 138. (would be equivalent to about exit 242 on I40 if they chose to mark it that way.
There is also a place I've heard about but haven't been is Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan, NC (http://www.walllumber.com/products.asp ). It is north of Winston Salem but supposedly a great place and a pretty drive to get there.
For both of these be sure to stop at Woodworker's Supply in Graham (exit 148) on your way back. Don't stop there first or you won't have any money left to buy wood.
Capital Lumber just across from the state fairgrounds has an ok selection although their prices are a bit higher. If you just need small quantity they would be a good place to stop if you're looking for common woods.
There is a Woodcraft store on Glenwood Ave that has there usual eclectic collection of woods - very small quantity and gulp prices to match but if you're looking for that small oddball it's worthwhile visiting plus Woodcraft is always a fun place to visit.
BTW, I live in Chapel Hill so not too far from you I expect.
TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
Actually the prices for lumber in Woodcraft Supply on Glenwood are equal to or even slightly better than The Hardwood Store prices and that is quite remarkable because they source the lumber from them. They don't always have a huge assortment of any given species, but they usually have enough on hand for most small projects. A trip to Gibsonville will add a fair bit to your price in gas money and mileage on the vehicle. Factor that in and Woodcraft prices seem a bargain. Plus it helps keep them in biz and I cannot help but wonder how we ever were ever lucky enough to get one here in Raleigh.
TWS wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you that we are lucky to have the Woodcraft store in our area. Not only is it a great store but the guys who work there are knowledgeable and if they don't have experience in a particular area they know who does - they don't try to 'fake' expertise like some of the other stores.
I looked at the comment I made and realized it was misleading re lumber pricing. I guess I was still recovering from the over $300 I dropped there last night ;-) I would definitely go to Woodcraft if I only needed a few bf but would choose the Hardwood Store if I was buying for a complete piece of furniture simply because they have more wood to choose from. Of course THS is closer for me than someone in Raleigh so that probably factors in as well.
TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
as Wilson said, through the local woodworkers guild, a number of local sources of lumber are available - seems like just recently 4-5 people have put their private stash of lumber up for sale. jim
wrote:>I just moved to the Research Triangle area of NC and have been setting up

[...]
Raleigh lumber off of poole road off the beltline

my
lumber

McEwen's Lumber in Clayton has a good selection at good prices.
Greg