Lumber Rack

I need to make a lumber rack for my work shop. My workshop is in my garage, the walls of which are made of Cinder Block. I was thinking of bolting 2 wooden beams to the wall and cantilevering arms off of the beam to hold the boards.

Anyone have any comments on this? How much weight do you think is safe to support this way? I don't want the walls to come down....

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Let the floor carry the weight and let the walls simply keep the assembly up.

Reply to
Leon

Check out my rack (my wife has a better rack, but it doesn't support ant lumber.). It has been up for a several months now and is solid as a rock.

Stoutman

I prefer to make my own judgements. Where can we see pictures?

Reply to
LRod

OK. Here ya go. I think its better, but that's just me!

Stoutman

Reply to
shooter

Sorry I have no pictures. I built a lumber rack from plans in ShopNotes. Basically, it is a 2x4 frame that rests on the floor and is bolted to the rafters above. The verticals have a series of slightly angled holes drilled into them where black pipes fit loosely into them. The pipes were laboriously cut with a hacksaw. I added a hinged carriage that pivots on a wheel to hold 4x8 sheet goods. I built two shelves that rest onto the pipes to hold smaller pieces. This frame hold a lot of weight, very handy, and easy to build from common materials.

Reply to
Phisherman

Woodcraft sells a sturdy, metal wall-mounted lumber rack with six pairs of arms for the lumber, for $49.95. The vertical supports fit through the arms holding the lumber, which (it seems to me) is a much stronger arrangement than you could get using lumber. For whatever the cost difference might be, I'd go with the commercial unit, especially if you can get it during their

7/27 10% off sale.

Northern also sells a floor stand lumber rack. I use them both, but the Woodcraft unit is the better looking of the two, although the Northern unit will hold more lumber (and uses more space). -- Regards

Reply to
JimR

Did a similar rack from photos I saw on the net, a few years ago. Holes for pipe were drilled at 5 degrees to insure wood won't slide off.

Very strong and easy to build

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

How long are the black pipes? What do you think would be the maximum length (and what diameter pipe)?

Thanks - great idea. BTW I'm using 1/2" ply on my walls and will butt the ceiling panels against the top sill of the wall to strengthen.

TomNie

Reply to
Tom Nie

Hi, I did the same project a few days ago.. I ended up going to home depot and getting track and shelves similiar to this:

the shelves I purchased were the rubbermaid brand. I bought the 18.5" shelf brackets, which were rated at 400 lbs. The track was

60" long (I think).

For 4 pieces of track, screws, and 12 shelf brackets, it was about $150.

The nice thing is that it installed to the studs quickly. Only took about an hour to set it up. Make sure that level the tops of all the tracks. I had to shim a couple of the tracks, because my concrete floor isn't perfectly level.

My system holds about 500-600 board feet, although a lot of it is piled on the bottom (below the first shelf, a pile about 2 feet high).

It sure did free up a lot of floor space. (Before the rack, I just had them stacked up all over the floor).

Reply to
bf

Reply to
Phisherman