Lowes vs. HD....

Page 3 of 4
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:50:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Incompetence is transferable, obviously.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:39:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

Maybe, but you shouldn't be at all surprised how easily you attract profane comments.
Give and you shall get. Seems like you thrive on what you reap.
"Existential Angst" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- "Existential Angst" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Lew Hodgett wrote:
Arbor Vitaes are garbage shrubs.
Grow like weeds and are difficult to trim and maintain.
Have a useful life of about 10 years if you're lucky.
About the only thing they have going for them is cost.
They are dirt cheap compared to Yews or similar shrubs.
Lew
Per Lew Hodgett:

Might be a location/climate thing.
I took a bunch of cuttings from my parent's house at the Jersey shore, planted them along the sides of our house about 30 years ago and they've been doing fine ever since with little or no attention. *Really* poor soil: solid shale with a few inches of clay and rocks over it.
OTOH, maybe the deer feeding on them over the winter has something to do with the low maintenance..... -)
I wake up at nite sometimes when I leave the window open to "Chomp, chomp, slurp, slurp.....". First time it about scared me to death.
--
Pete Cresswell

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- My comments based on events in NE Ohio (Metro Cleveland) which has weather similar to NJ, but probably closer to CT.
Soil was basically clay that had the top soil stripped during construction of the development.
Lots of mulch along with some fertilizer helped things along.
No deer to keep things trimmed back then.
Lew

I kind of like leyland cypress for that sort of thing but admittedly, they take up a bit more space.

500 Home Depots?
You know Home Depot has on-line interactive inventory. I look up what I want on their website and then check the stores on-line to see if they have it. Then I am not stuck with the vagaries of knowledge from a failed contractor who works as a clerk at the store because they failed as a contractor. If do need help in the store I look for the "old guy" who is actually working.
If you mean the tree... arborvitae then they show 4 (1 discontinued) on-line and they all say "on-line only." Took me about a minute to check.
The crappy pride in workmanship that you complain about is why I like to check things myself if I can. I was raised that you do the job whatever it is to the best of your ability no matter the wage. If you agreed to take the money to do the job its immoral to do anything but a good job.
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 17:32:40 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Yeah so? Next week if you call the roles may be reversed. Your experience with one store from each chain proves nothing.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

Somebody who follows stock prices told me that HD's stock has come way, way up in recent years.
Seemed to me like that coincided with local HD's service level.
Used to be that when an employee saw me, they'd try to duck into another aisle to avoid answering a question. That's when the stock was very low.
Now I practically have to fend them off.
Sounds like an upper-level management change to me.
--
Pete Cresswell

True, I have little bad to say about the front-line help, given their abilities. They try, but still, informational and organizational chaos persists.
But I think you cite pure coincidence in the stock price vs. the help. But, holy shit, indeed, the price doubled in one year!! http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3AHD&ei=SW2_UKjCK4Ll0QHyUA
Which makes the chaos inexcusable. But understandable and perhaps inevitable: HD can now do whateverTF they want, and there's not a fukn thing you or me can do about it.
Well, there is, and PMT nailed it. And I really try to go local, but too often the price differential -- and the irritating convenience of HD -- prevails. Indeed, I watch myself fuck myself, all too often. We fuck ourselves, we fuck each other, and HD laughs hysterically, to/fro the bank.
--
EA

> --
> Pete Cresswell
On 12/5/2012 10:58 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

wow, you do indeed know how to curse. The question is do you know how to speak without cursing? Everyone uses it now and then, but to really prove your an idiot, keep cursing.
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Obscenity begets profanity.... pretty much dat simple. Sorta like fighting clean in a street fight -- dudn't make much sense, now, does it? If YOU are not driven to the point of profanity, then you proly don't really understand the true depth of the problem. Toughen up, dood.... it's way past the point of being polite, it's time to get effing mad.
Oh, btw, that would be "you're an idiot", not "your an idiot".... If you want to prove your an idiot, keep on not proofreading you're shit....
--
EA

On 12/5/2012 9:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Wish that were the case by my HD and Lowes. Neither has enough people. When you can't find something, you can't get an answer either.
Most of the stores around here are understaffed.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 22:38:38 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Thats one of the reasons they offer lower prices than the other stores..and why they try to get folks to do the self checkout. Keeps their personal expenses down.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Gunner wrote:

Some people just don't understand the concept of a WAREHOUSE STORE. Sad, isn't it?
Around here, Lowe's offers a 10% Veteran's discount.

What's sad is 1. The Warehouse Store don't know what's in its own warehouse. 2. That you STILL don't get this. No surprise, tho.
Dood, I wadn't asking for a landscaping consultation, or an explanation of nitrogen fixing in the root system of plants, a'ight? All's I wanted to know was, Do you have effing Arbor Vitaes?? without being hung up on 3 times, in the span of 1/2 hr. Thanks gawds for speaker phones, lemme tell you....
--
EA

> Around here, Lowe's offers a 10% Veteran's discount.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:50:32 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Around here, Lowe's and Home Depot offers a 10% disabled Veteran's discount.
Ray wrote:

Year round, or just Veteran's day & Memorial day?
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 16:48:23 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Not so much:
http://ext.homedepot.com/community/blog/veterans-and-active-military-thank-you-for-your-service-employment-opportunities-tribute-discount/
The Home Depot offers a year-round, 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, at our U.S. stores to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families. We offer this discount to thank them for their outstanding service to this nation and to help make their homes more comfortable and safe. Customers requesting the discount should present a valid military ID.
In addition, a 10 percent discount is also offered in recognition of Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Veterans Day at all U.S. Home Depot stores for all other military veterans.
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

http://ext.homedepot.com/community/blog/veterans-and-active-military-thank-you-for-your-service-employment-opportunities-tribute-discount/
The local HD told me they only offer it on the two days I stated, a few months ago.