Lowe's Closeout on Delta Equip.

Page 1 of 2
I guess I didn't know why Lowe's was closing out Delta tools until a earlier today. The local store was moving a couple of JET table saws into the slots previously occupied by Delta's.
Funny! A few years ago, they cleared out all their Jet tools to make room for Delta.

Whoever gives them the best deal at the end of the contract, I guess.

"AL" < snipped-for-privacy@mail.plz> wrote in message news:Ku60d.158475$Fg5.60959@attbi_s53...

Well, if Delta & Porter Cable are going to be owned by DeWalt and Black & Decker, then perhaps it makes good business sense for Lowe's to have some diversity in their supplier community.
Too many eggs in one basket, etc.
As long as they keep closing out and offering discounted prices, I'm happy!! I picked up the Delta 12" Drill Press on closeout sale for $139.00 (regular price $199). What a pleasure to have a good tool versus the off brand 7" cheapie that I had!!
Nick B

Hellluva buy. I paid full price for mine a few years back. Does a good job and you're going to enjoy it. I made a simple fence for mine, but one of these days I'll get around to making a full table for it.

There's an ugly sink cutout C-clamped to mine. It was supposed to be temporary. It's been there since last December. As long as nobody's taking pictures for global publication, it may stay there for a while.
I wouldn't get stuck on the Jet tools... Lowes will drop a product line at the drop of a hat. Delta isn't gone for good and Jet isn't there forever.
RonB wrote:

Maybe its my imagination, or a local phenomena, but it seems to me that menards prices on name brand tools now seem to regularly be lower then both HD and Lowes for the same items. They don't all stock the same things, but where there is overlap it seems that menards is consistently lower.
Do the rest of you see this as well? It seemed to me that a few years ago HD had the better prices, with Lowes the highest. Now it seems HD is the highest.
Could just be my imagination, or a few items that caught my glance.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:22:28 -0500, "Bob Peterson"

That's really not hard to believe.
Here in CT, we have two independents that always beat big box prices, Coastal Tool and Tools Plus. Both stores are directly across the street from Home Depot stores, and both were there long before the BORGs.
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Usually, not always. Got some deWalt batteries at Home Depot a while back that were a good deal cheaper than the same battery from Coastal. And Coastal doesn't come close to beating the Lowes clearance prices on Delta.

--
--John
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:56:45 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Clearance prices are another story, which holds true for any store.
Tools-Plus cleared out non-X5 DJ-20's for $1099. <G>
I'm local to Coastal, so I usually ask for matching on the rare occasion a normal price is different. If you're not local, that wouldn't make sense.
Barry
In my area, it has been this way for as long as I can remember. Of course there are exceptions, but generally speaking Menards is cheaper.

I've never seen a Menard's.

Right now they are only in the Midwest. I don't know if they have any plans to expand to other states.
I prefer Menard's, then Lowe's, then HD.

There is something about Lowes I don't like, and can't quite put into words.
HD had a store about 10 miles from where I live and when they opened I found I really liked it. They opened another one that is next to the Menards near me so I have both within a couple miles. I wish menards had wider aisles (its impossible for two of their wide shopping carts to pass each other in most aisles).

I know of what you speak. They opened a brand new ACE right down the street and I thought "GREAT" cause I was running 10-15 minutes to get to one. First time I walked in the glare from the bright white floor and ceiling made me want to run the other way.
Joel. phx

I think that HD does carry better quality wood than menards. HD also doesn't carry a lot of the "little things" menards does.
John

Agreed on the line switching - but Lowe's carrying Jet is a good thing, IMHO. I *might* see price competition, and if they drop a line or bring in new models, I might see some great deals on Jet gear.