Looking For Oscillating Tool Recommendations

Page 1 of 3
I know this group and what a huge can of worms I just opened up, but we'll see if I can though this with any actual information. :-D
I have the Harbor Freight and I wrote the book on it. It is well documented in here that I have been its staunchest defender. So even though it probably will, I would like this thread to not quickly escalate into the same, tired, old, rehashed over and over again too many times already, HF multitool debate. :-) After probably eight years with the thing, it's still going strong, but I'm looking to upgrade for a few reasons.
1. Noise & Heat. The HF gets so hot you could fry an egg on it. Plus, it's so fricken loud!!! 2. The new oscillating tools I've seen have a quick release and that's very appealing to me. 3. I'm hoping the brand name tools actually perform better. After using the HF for so long, I think I will able to very quickly determine if this is the case.
So again, this may a be futile request, but I would like opinions about oscillating tools from those who have actually used them. I'm looking for quieter, cooler, faster, non-tool blade release, and probably NOT battery operated, although I might be able to be convinced.
Blade universality isn't that important since most have adapters or already accept all blades.
LAST THING: I already know Festool is the best and Fein is a close second. But I don't have six hundred bucks to spend on an oscillating tool. All the other brands have options under $150, so I'm sticking with those.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/19/2015 11:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

As you probably know I have a Fein, 15 years, and it still runs like new.
Almost daily on every job site someone reaches for it. It is one of the rare tools I've let others use, and despite that kind of use, which usually results in a short lived tool, the only problem I've had is blades being dulled when I needed it.
Decided to stop that, so, even though it was in the truck, my response to where is it? "left it at the shop."
Last year my good buddy, and right hand man (he was the biggest culprit), purchased his own ... a Dremel (MM45?) from HD.
Now, I do leave mine at the shop, and use his. ;)
Good tool, and I've used it enough to make a comparison. Other than a certain "heft" to the hand, there is no noticeable difference in function, fit and finish, and ability to do the job. It certainly has the power.
Obviously longevity, with regard to the Fein, is a question, but so far so good on withstanding the rigors of the job site.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

I looked at the Jet, which Rockler put on sale once this year at $389. I though that it made the sub-$200 options look over-priced. YMMV.
Bill

On 9/19/15 4:15 PM, Swingman wrote:

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for and no surprise it came from you. I've been leaning towards the Dremel, so now I'm leaning a bit more.
I have their Saw-Max and have been very impressed with it.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/19/2015 5:15 PM, Swingman wrote:

I have the Dremel. It's proved useful, very useful actually, but I only need it occasionally. I'm not a contractor.
I'm surprised to hear that it is comparable in performance to the Fein. I assumed the Fein had more power. One thing I've noticed is that it gets pretty hot. Compounding that, the vents are very close to where my fingers are. In fact, in certain operations, I have found myself accidentally covering some of the vents when I try to grip the tool closer to the business end, for more control. Perhaps there was no way around that, design-wise.
I'm not crazy about the blade changing system. I wish the screw was a little longer, less likely to come out when I loosen it enough to change the blade. I'm also wary of overtightening the screw, as the mechanism doesn't feel that robust. Possibly as a result of this, it occasionally works its way loose during use. Maybe if I used it often enough, I'd get the "feel" for the correct torque.
Having sai all that, it's definitely a tool that can transform certain tasks from "How the hell am I going to do this?" into "Hey, that was easy".
On 9/20/2015 10:39 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I now see that Dremel makes several models. Mine was an early one (6300), with a less powerful motor.
I have the (or a) Rockwell machine. Universal head. I can buy what is out there for sale and use it.
It rocks. I got it to replace an exterior vent to the drier that was RTV'd onto brick. But haven't gotten to that job, but plenty of others.
It surprised my wife on how easy it was to use and got some looks like she might use it someday herself.
Possible - she has a nice drill and other tools for work on the house... (I use them mostly).
Martin
On 9/20/2015 10:16 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I have the Bosch, asked about it here a couple years ago. It doesn't have the non-tool blade release, but uses a hex wrench and socket cap screw. It is MUCH quieter and vibrates the body of the tool MUCH less than the HF version. I can't speak to cooler or faster, as I usually don't have either tool on long enough to find out.
I wonder if one of your local stores would be willing to let you take the tool out of the box and turn it on. Even without cutting, you'll notice a big difference.
I still have the HF tool, it's down at the club and sometimes gets used more than the Bosch that replaced it.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 9/19/15 4:40 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

The Bosch is very high on my list.
--

-MIKE-

Festool _is_ Fein--their oscillating tool is a rebadged Fein Supercut-- the Supercut is Fein's "pro" line and it's actually somewhat specialized--it's not really any better for general purpose use than the Multimaster.
And I'm not sure where you're getting six hundred bucks. Home Depot has the Fein 250 Start for $179 (if you can find one--it's discontinued) and the 350 Start for $199. Starting price on the Supercut is under $400.
Note that "Start" refers to the accessory bundle--there are three kits for the Multimaster--"Start", "Systainer", and "Top"--which differ in accessories. According to the Fein site the "Systainer" version has the same accessories as the "Top" but comes in a systainer instead of the purpose-made Fein case. That one is available from Coastal Tool <http://www.coastaltool.com/a/fein/fmm350q-systainer.htm for $269.00 and is the package I'd recommend as the value of the accessories included is considerably more than the price difference between that and the "Start". Note that Coastal is a brick-and-mortar store local to me where I do most of my tool shopping, but also has a thriving online business.
Personally I'm mostly happy with my Fein (which I got from Coastal)--I got the last model before they went to the "star" blade mount and wish it would die so I'd have an excuse to get one with the new mount, but it just keeps chugging on. Other than the old mount, which slips, it's an amazing tool that is far far more versatile than I realized when I got it.
If Fein went out of business and my Fein died, I'd have to do some research to figure out what to replace it with.
On 9/19/15 5:41 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I threw $600 out there because that's what the Festool kit at Woodcraft was going for when I stopped in. If I'm willing to throw $150 at the Bosch, I will have to take a closer look at the Fein starter kit for $179.
Thanks for the info.
--

-MIKE-

Of course, nothing but Festool! ;-)
Now that we got that out of the way... ;-) I own a Dremel corded and a Bosch cordless oscillating saw. Of the two, I use the cordless one at least 10:1 over the corded saw.
I looked at the Fein a year or so ago (they had a demo at Woodcraft) and was impressed. The price wasn't all that bad, anymore, either. If I were buying again, I'd probably buy the Fein instead of the Dremmel but I'd still be using the Bosch ten times as often as the Fein.
On 9/19/2015 11:11 PM, krw wrote:

[snip]

A Huge +1 on the Bosch Cordless. It is my first and only (had it about 6 years now, maybe a bit more) oscillating multi-tool.
My only complaint is that I waited so long to buy it - or any multi-tool.
I've used it, abused it, and have even been amused (by all the things I can do with it to save me time and energy) by it.
As I have no basis for comparison I would only say that if it crapped out or was stolen tomorrow, I cannot think of any reason to look further than the Bosch. It does everything it claims to do, everything I want it to do (and I'm constantly finding new uses for it), and does it well.
Double +1 for ANY brand CORDLESS multi-tool. You aren't building a house with this thing, you're either repairing, remodeling or putting a finishing touch on something. With two batteries available, I've never had downtime waiting for a recharge and can count on one hand the number of times I needed a recharge to finish a job.
says...

I have to admit that a cordless is tempting and Fein doesn't seem to be making theirs anymore. My Fein has a 15 foot cord that is a pain to wrap up and stuff in the case when I'm done for the day. Sometimes I'm tempted to cut it shorter.
On 9/20/2015 10:06 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

That's one of the things I like best about my Fein on a job site. In the shop, not so much.
What you make on the bananas, you lose on the grapes...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Good info. Thanks!
--

-MIKE-

On 9/19/15 11:11 PM, krw wrote:

How fast do the batteries charge on the Bosch and is there a notable difference in power between the corded and cordless?
--

-MIKE-

Less than an hour. I have a bunch of batteries (I also have the 12V drill, driver, and Impactor) so that's never a problem for me (so I don't watch closely). I'm not a contractor so I don't use it 8hrs a day, so recharging isn't a major concern. I rarely have to change batteries in the middle of any job with any of my tools.
I don't notice a power difference between the Bosch and Dremmel. The Fein I tried (during a store demo) was a little easier on the hands, I think, though.
On 9/20/2015 10:49 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

[snip]

As previously stated, I have only owned the one Bosch cordless so I cannot compare apples and corded apples <g>
As for the recharge time, it's fairly quick but unless I'm running it under heavy load constantly - which is rarely the case - I don't need to recharge it while working a project. As I said, I've NEVER had down time due to waiting around for a recharge. YMMV of course depending on usage.

Ease of use and setup makes a tool more likely to be used. I have a Fein and truly wish it had the quick release and notched index blade setup. I find that the easier the tool is to setup the more I use it. Mine is the older design that requires the odd hex wrench to replace attachments and ir adjust attachments. Other than that it operated very smoothly.