LN vs Clifton Plane?

Page 2 of 2

Ron, is the toothed blade for roughing up a substrate for veneering? any other use?
Dave
Ron wrote: The combination of the high angle

There are two different styles of toothed blades. They are made with a different patterns. The toothed blade made for the scraper is used for veneering. The blade made for the bench plane is configured differently. I believe somewhere on the LN site they discuss this and show what the difference is.

Greetings....
After reading the other replies, it looks like cliftons quality is becoming an issue, I got mine a few years ago and it has been a wonderful plane (a #3 smoother), seeing quite a bit of use, so I must have gotten a good one, I also have a L-N, and its been a good one as well...IMO you should look at several planes of either brand before you drop that kind of cash, and pick out the one you want...
If you want to look at this a different way, you may consider making a smoother yourself, I made a japanese(...ish...:>) style smoother featuring a Steve Knight Iron for a whooooole lot less cash than either metal plane... the kicker is once you learn how to adjust it...( there is a learning curve ) they work just as well (if not better) than most metal planes...they do need a little more tuning....but they feel good and are a pleasure to use...
For those interested you can see how my smoother is made but going to:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dchaynie/Projects/planemaking/make_your_own_p lane_page.htm
Sorry for the word wrap..it should be all on one line...its really not that hard to make a nice smoother...hope this helps...
Regards...
DCH