Link belts, are they REALLY noisy

What town? I live in southern central CA. 'bout 90 miles north from L.A.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

We're in Clovis.. sort of a surrounded by Fresno...

Reply to
mac davis

Just about west north west of me, Carpinteria here.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

No sweat. Glad you found it useful.

They are designed to run only on standard v-belt sheaves.

None of my machines with a link belt have cogged pulleys.

Like Jim B. suggested, McMaster-Carr is a good source. MSC (mscdirect.com) might have a better price on what you need, but with those two companies, it's often a toss-up. They are both excellent suppliers.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Something is still amiss. Power transmission is not usually reduced by link belts.

However, inadequate belt tension could certainly cause both the excessive noise and the observed power loss. Now I'd guess that the real problem is that link belts aren't well suited for applications where the belt tension can't be adjusted.

McMaster-Carr

carries 5' lengths, but double-check with them that it is still the PowerTwist brand. They often don't list brand names in their catalog, and have been known to switch suppliers in the past.

If low belt tension is the problem, though, switching brands probably won't help much.

Good luck,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

whoa! nice ocean/beach area...

Reply to
mac davis

Yeah, saw Meg Ryan a week ago tripping around on Linden ave., a piece of heaven.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Reply to
Randy

A Womack wrote in

Jason Industries responded to a tech request from my belt supplier to the recommendation of NOT using the link belt due to the small sheave size and recommended a AX series COG belt.

Since I have been running a COG belt for a while now and it is quite, albeight quite good at transmitting the motor hop, I will be set.

Alan

Reply to
A Womack