Link belts, are they REALLY noisy

Page 2 of 2

What town? I live in southern central CA. 'bout 90 miles north from L.A.
Alex

Alex

Yeah, saw Meg Ryan a week ago tripping around on Linden ave., a piece of heaven.
Alex
mac davis wrote...

No sweat. Glad you found it useful.

They are designed to run only on standard v-belt sheaves.

None of my machines with a link belt have cogged pulleys.

Like Jim B. suggested, McMaster-Carr is a good source. MSC (mscdirect.com) might have a better price on what you need, but with those two companies, it's often a toss-up. They are both excellent suppliers.
Jim
I was able to cut the noise some buy shortening the belt and therefore making it tighter, as only the weight of the motor tensions the belt.
I had to take the Jason Industrial link belt off the saw. The green belt was not able to transmit the full power of the motor when cutting some beech tonight, only 3/4" with my WWII.
I will take back the belt and see if they have any PowerTwist belt to try. Last time they only had a 100' lenth!
Ouch
Alan
Alan W wrote...

Something is still amiss. Power transmission is not usually reduced by link belts.
However, inadequate belt tension could certainly cause both the excessive noise and the observed power loss. Now I'd guess that the real problem is that link belts aren't well suited for applications where the belt tension can't be adjusted.

McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) carries 5' lengths, but double-check with them that it is still the PowerTwist brand. They often don't list brand names in their catalog, and have been known to switch suppliers in the past.
If low belt tension is the problem, though, switching brands probably won't help much.
Good luck,
Jim
You might also look in the yellow pages for bearing, and belting suppliers. They frequently have, or can get most anything you want/need.