Leon- arrgh

Page 2 of 2

Snip

Thank you. That was going to be firewood. It is actually spalted live oak. I had limbs trimmed off of an oak tree that had been setting out drying for a couple of years and decided to get it ready to burn by splitting the limb with my BS. Saw the results and saved for a project like this.

to "negotiate" a new tool out of this project. Ya know, something that you "need" to complete this jewelry box project.
On 2/6/2010 9:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

IIRC, Leon made great use of a drum sander to make some of the parts, so that would be a good tool to start with.
I, myself, had planned on using that ploy, but Linda is neither interested in, wears, nor owns, enough jewelery to fill a tea cup.
Counting my blessing ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

You can get several Bentleys' worth into a teacup... but you knew that already. *G*

A chest like that would be good for storing.... saddle squares, rulers, calipers, tilt boxes, etc.

Yeah. I "cannot imagine" even starting a jewelry box without something like a new 15" (or larger) surface planer or wide bed drum sander :^} If you already have one, get into Lee Valley and start looking at high-end hand tools.
Or maybe you can negotiate for.....errrr....something else.
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:50:12 -0800 (PST), the infamous RonB

There ya go. At minimum, he'll need a kerfmaker and a few new Forrest blades.

Surprising her with one of the jewelry boxes would have accomplished that on its own. <knowing grin>
-- We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. -- Marcel Proust

Yeah. I "cannot imagine" even starting a jewelry box without something like a new 15" (or larger) surface planer or wide bed drum sander :^} If you already have one, get into Lee Valley and start looking at high-end hand tools.
I made use of the planer and my drum sander. The drum sander was great for tweaking the height of the drawers. I cut all drawer heights for fit tight. They all had to be sanded on the top and bottom to get the spacing between the drawers "just right". I sanded left and right pairs at the same time and kept the tops and bottoms coordinated.

Just remember how easy it is for a burglar to make off with the beautiful chest and all it's contents in one fell swoop. In and out in less than two minutes.

To tell you the truth, once they are in they can clean you out in 5 minutes regardless of where the stuff is.
"Leon" wrote:

--------------------------- Good reason to stay low in the grass and keep your mouth shut.
Lew
Leon wrote:

Hell, I can't find stuff - that I put somewhere. If a damned burglar could find stuff I've inadvertentl hidden - I'd hire him/her as my personal assistant.
Come to think of it, kids can find things pretty well - when motivated. Doesn't matter where I stash it, when asked for money and I say "Find my wallet." - it's found - in seconds.
Now where the hell did I leave my glasses!?

Burglaries here in our town tend to what's called Smash and Grab. One or two "disadvantaged" people take a rock and smash a patio door for a quick entry/exit. They then run inside and grab electronics, laptops, small TV's, jewelry boxes and drugs. The typical time between smashing the patio door and the exit is 3-4 minutes at best, and all that's taken is what they can carry and toss into their car.
There's virtually nothing that can be done to prevent this type of burglary, but some companies sell a film for door and window glass that will cut down on the speed with which the glass can be smashed and removed to gain entry. The old days of prying a door out of the track, picking a lock or jimmying a window etc. are almost in the past, in that regard.
IMHO, the best thing a homeowner can do on a practical level is to use the film on larger doors or windows and to make one Hell of a racket when someone triggers an alarm. In my case, I have installed 130dB sirens INSIDE the house and the garage and connected them to the burglar alarm. When triggered, they actually cause physical pain and surely would cut down on the "dwell" or "search" time a burglar would take inside the home.
My garage (the one with tools in it) has both the typical garage door and also a passage door in the rear. The passage door is metal, fire resistant, and pretty decent. Besides the deadbolt lock, I removed the screws from the strike plate and replaced them with hardened 4" ones that go into the door's framing and not just the trim. Still, a stout person could place their back to the fence and kick it in. To reduce that, I also got a length of chain and a couple eyebolts. The eyebolts are on either side of the door and the chain is connected to one permanently. When we leave town for a trip, I use a split link to connect the other end of the chain to the other eyebolt. While not perfect, it's just another hoop some jerk will have to jump through to get in via that door.
FWIW, we were returning from out of town when a neighbor decided to cook chili and bring us a big bowl as a surprise. She used my code to enter the front door, but forgot to deactivate the burglar alarm. The particular door was on a 30 second delay, and she was in the kitchen when it went off. It was so loud and painful that she dropped the bowl of chili to hold her ears and run out of the house. She returned later with her husband to sweep up the chili and mop the floor, so I'm pretty sure a burglar would find it equally distracting.
For those of you with shops, even the garage variety, it's a pretty cheap way to reduce losses from a burglary.
--
Nonny

Nonny wrote:

Our church got hit this past Monday. The perps threw a rock through the office door window, got in, took 3 computers and the school kids' lunch money (not kidding, we don't have a hot lunch program so buy from Dominoes once a week and subs another day in the week). What was disconcerting about this was that the rock thrown probably weighed less than 10 pounds and completely shattered the window (2 foot by 2 1/2 foot hole in thick safety glass), traveled another 10 feet and smashed a hole in the drywall on the opposite wall. That was one powerful throw or thrown by a very drug-crazed addict. The good news was that the two laptops they got off with had no confidential personal information on them and would have brought, if lucky, maybe $20 at a yard sale. The office computer was a desktop, and had only names and addresses, nothing one could not get from a phone book. It may have been worth $50 at a yard sale. Some of that lunch money was in Domino's gift cards that were serialized, hopefully the perps used them for pizza for the big game, local Domino's manager was watching for them to come through.

Rob Leatham
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 11:17:43 -0800, the infamous Zz Yzx

Nah, the chest is too large to fit in the bag. The perp'd take longer emptying the drawers and be caught by the time they were done.
Jewelry chests help catch criminals, Z.
-- We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. -- Marcel Proust
scrawled the following:

Depending on where you keep it, could you add a metal bracket to the back that could be affixed to the rear of the chest or dresser?
--
Nonny