Leigh FMT Jig

I just received the Leigh FMT Jig this morning. My first mortise and tenon was perfect! Great jig. Great manual. In my opinion it's well worth the money if you're going to cut a lot of mortise and tenon joints. The resulting joint is *much* better than the joints I've been getting with my dedicated mortiser (Jet) and my tenoning jig (Delta) on my Unisaw.
Disclaimers?
-JBB

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:

Does praise for a tool mean that I am associated with the tool maker?
I have no affiliation with Leigh Jigs, nor their representatives, nor anyone who sells their tools; however, I am a very satisfied customer, both of the FMT and the D4 dovetail jig. The Leigh people know what they're doing and they know how to write an instruction manual.

Often, yes. This is the I-n-t-er-n-e-t. For an $800+ tool, I want to know.

I'm a proud and satisfied owner of a D4 myself. Excelent jig.
-JBB

know.
Yeah, we want to see copies of the bill of sale posted, photos of you picking it up at the store and an affidavit from the salesman that you paid retail price. Ed

Looks like we gotta get out the lawyers and go to trial. ;)
Richards wrote:

Unfortunately, though I've only been here a few months, there are some glowing posts that are calculated to get people to buy X, Y or Z.

I'm glad to hear about the excellence of the instruction manual. I've been in the software industry for 20+ years and good documentation is incredibly hard to produce. Congrats for companies that do it well.
-- Mark
All of the Leigh manuals are a work of art... ;~)

been
incredibly
Thanks for the praise Leon, but I had nothing to do with it. Really.
Art

Anyone know where to get that 1/32 bit they talk about in the manual for cutting mortise on a match stick? I've been searching all week (got my FMT on Monday the 3rd from highland before the price increase) and I have not been able to find one that will fit on a router. I've talked to leigh who says they can buy the bits locally where they are in BC. I've talked to highland (forget any woodworking supply place). I've even talked to mscdirect and a local machine tool supplier in denver. The best I can do is a 1/32 with an 1/8th inch shaft which can not be fitted to a routher without a 1/8-1/4 collet.
This saturday I was able to spend a little time mounting and setting it up. I had a little trouble with my first attempts but that was because of something I did wrong (got to learn to read;-). When I discovered what I had done wrong the temperature was dropping and the sun was going down and I had other things I needed to get done. This afternoon after it warms up outside I'm going to try again
For those that care I can only wish I was associated with leigh. I've had a D4 for two years and I've been doing things like the little christmas present boxes shown at http://home.comcast.net/~wskossack/boxes.html
My main justification for buying the FMT is some furniture projects planned for next year and a problem that I don't have any space to leave tools out. All my tools must be portable so I can put them on a shelf afterwards. The idea of saving space by being able to use my pc 693 instead of buying a mortiser or a better tablesaw etc is attractive to me.
One project involves the rebuild of a wooden base fore a large brass table. If you imagine a six legged wooden base that folds up. Each leg is contructed of 3 pieces of wood (I think indonesean rosewood but the base and table are from india) and joined with bolts and the wood is about and inch thick. The base was damaged in shipment recently and then fell breaking many of the joints. To rebuild I need mortise and tenons and some will probably have to be angled.
Richards wrote:

second day went much better Isn't it interesting when you tighten in the correct direction. After a few tries I had a mortise and tenon that fit tight enough to pop when I pulled them apart
william kossack wrote:

William -
We go down to 1/16 -
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page0218&category=1,46168,46171&abs page=1&ccurrency=2&SID Have never seen a 1/32 bit for a router...
Best bet would be to look at a dremel, with router attachment...
Cheers -
Rob Lee
I thought of that but the router must attach to the FMT and I don't think a dremel would attach correctly.
According to the leigh manual it is a milling bit for metal. I've found some end mills down to 1/32 but the shank is 1/8th. I've found a collet to step 1/8th up to 1/4 but that adds more than $20 to the cost. Leigh says they can buy the bit they use locally in BC.