Lee Valley shipped quickly

After reading good things about Lee Valley, I ordered a book entitled Wood Planes and How to Make Them from Lee Valley. The book came via FedEx yesterday -- so quickly after I ordered, I was surprised. Thanks to the group for previous posts.
Steve (aka John Smith because I haven't been able to change the sender default in IE yet)
Lee Valley is a real top notch outfit. Exceptional products, SERVICE and prices. I can't think of another compay I could compare them for what they do,

That is just the opposite of my order. I placed an order on the 16th and it won't arrive until the 24th. I am a little disappointed. That's about as slow as Amazon's free shipping.
Ed

Ed Clark wrote:

But where do you live? LV ships out of Buffalo NY and typical UPS or USPS is a week cross country. I'm in CT and I've been waiting for a package from Arizona for over a week, one from Calgary took two weeks.
You have the option of paying for premium shipping to get the toys the next day. If you go the cheap route, the shipper has no control over how long the big brown truck takes to get to your house.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Very True. Lee Valley shipped my order (placed on a Sunday) the next morning. It took the carrier, FedEx, 6 business days to get it to Houston. For comparison, it took USPS 4 days to get an order from another city in New York to Houston. The problem most likely isn't with Lee Valley. If you ordered via their web site, they would have sent you a confirmation email when it was shipped. This will have the tracking information for the package so you can find out where your package is.
Weldon
Hi Ed -
Sorry your order's taking a week to get there - once it's out of our hands, it's up to the delivery service. Normally, we turn around orders in under 24 hours, most are same day. When you read a post where someone got their order quickly - we didn't really do anything differently (we ship them all as fast as we can).
Keep in mind too, that the time of day you order can add a day or so.... Many parcel delivery services pick up only once per day...if you order after the pick-up, it adds a full day (sorta like dry cleaning!). Day of week matters too - if you order on a Friday after last pick-up, the parcel doesn't leave our warehouse until Monday afternoon (though it will most likely get picked and packed before Monday).
Cheers,
Rob Lee Lee Valley

Wood
Rob Lee responds:

How things change. When I was a kid, my parents, both actually country people but living near NYC, used to order Christmas presents through the Sears, Roebuck catalog. They'd order 6 to 8 weeks before Christmas and the postal service would drop the packages off something like 2 weeks before the big day.
Never bothered anyone at all, that I can recall, nor did ordering other things from catalogs that took 2-3 weeks to arrive. Today, people seem ready to complain if an item shipped surface doesn't arrive before night of the day it was ordered.
Today, it often seems like 97% of what I get here in the way of info comes FedEx overnight, even when I tell someone I've got a month to deadline.
It's nice to get things quickly, but is 6-7 days between order and arrival that bad these days?
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

that
Except for "One Hour Martinizing" which, as I recall, was never one hour. [ Just what was "martinizing" anyway??? ]
Cell phones, pagers, broadband. Drive through hamburgers. Do-it-yourself checkouts.
The world's speeding up.
mttt responds:

But where is it going?
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
To quote Radar O'Reilly <sp> " To heck in a handbag!"
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Jerry Gilreath respods"

Yeah, well...to quote whomever he is, local sputscaster on the idjit box, re: 12 car wreck at the Daytona 500: "It went all to heck."
Such a way with words. But at least that time he got 5 he could pronounce.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
mttt wrote:

Now all they have to do is figure out some way we can take a crap in just 12 seconds. That will put all the paper-and-ink newspapers out of business for sure.

That's when "Martin" does your laundry.
Barry
Charlie Self wrote:

You're not so old. I remember when I was a kid (in the '80s... OK, you *are* old... :) it was perfectly normal for anything to take 6-8 weeks to arrive.
As far as shipping times... It's WINTER for crying out loud. Look around! See all that white, frozen shit all over the place? (And no, Charlie, this isn't directed at you in particular.)
On one recent trip, I made it a whopping 18 miles in one day. I just said to hell with it and parked at the first truckstop up the road from my house. People got their stuff late. They got over it. I'm alive to tell the tale.

I think the longest I've ever had to wait was 7 days, sometime around Christmas. My latest order went in at 8:30 in the morning and shipped at 3:00 that afternoon.
They've always done right by me.
Ken