lee valley floor scraper-burnishing

I've put in a 450 square foot, 3/4 inch, mostly quartersawn, pine floor on 3/4 plywood strips on concrete and am scraping with a lee valley ball joint floor scraper.
The beveled side works ok for a little while before it needs sharpening. It doesn't fit into the veritas sharpening jig so it has to be done by hand. The frequency of resharpening is a pain.
The instructions say I can burnish the flat sides of the scraper if keeping the beveled edge sharp is too much trouble. Problem is, the thing is 1/32 to 1/16 thick. My attempts at burnishing have made absolutely no impact on the edge.
Am I just not pressing hard enough or is this a fools erand?
Thanks Tom