Leather Shop Apron

Page 1 of 2

Folks, I have come to preach to you the gospel of the leather shop apron.
All my life, I've been searching; not always sure what I was searching for. Sometimes it was my pencil, other times it was my tape. Lately, I've spent a lot of time searching for my bifocal safety glasses too.
Then, before Christmas, I posted a "What to Ask for Christmas" question; and some benevolent soul suggested a leather shop apron. I asked for (and got) the one from Rockler with flaps over the pockets to keep the sawdust out. It has a place for my pencil, another for my 6" engineer's rule. A nice big pocket on the chest for my glasses and two pockets down low for my tape and whatever else. The chest pockets are made so that they stay open and I don't have to fumble with both hands to get things back in them.
After just a week of using my new apron, my hands have learned where to find the items I need without distraction. And they learned to put things back in their places without being told. My apron goes on when I walk in the door, and comes off when I turn off the lights.
Now I've found happiness and my clothes are cleaner too. All those wasted years I spent searching, when the answer was there all the time. Friend, don't waste your life like I did. Come to Jesus. Buy an apron.
DonkeyHody "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"
Been wearing one for twenty years. I have taken to making my own as. when they wear out, you can never find one quite like it.

CW wrote:

Go to www.woodworkeracademy.com, click on Precision Shop Aprons on the front page or:
http://www.woodworkeracademy.com/ShopAprons/newaproncat.html
MJ Wallace
On 8 Jan 2006 21:18:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

Wow, with all those tools, that must add 10 pounds to the weight of the apron!
Like mine better.

when
What are you using for material, leather, canvas?? Did you just take apart one you already had for a pattern or design one for yourself??
I'm cheap and hard to please so the idea of creating my own appeals to me since then, like you said, you can always find the same one.
Bill

Or make modifications that make it even better.
That still wont solve the problem that in 3 or 5 years I wear it out and need a new one and would like to get the same type and its no longer available. It might take me a couple of months to determine which one I want originally and if I do my job right It'll be just what I need so if I start out with something I like and I've made it custom I should still have the patterns and knowledge to recreate it it a few years instead of having to start at the beginning of a search again.
Bill

I use heavy denim (quite a challenge to find these days). I wear them forty to sixty ours a week. They last from 3 months to a year depending on what I'm doing. The design is my own. I do not have a pattern. I just lay the cloth on the floor and start drawing. I've made so many over the years that a pattern would be more trouble than it's worth.

apart
DonkeyHody wrote:

[snip]
When I retired, I had a lot more shop time. I typically wore t-shirts or sweat shirts and generally got them stained with all sorts of non-removable stuff. Maggy would get tired of seeing me head off to town for the mail or a meeting of the OFC with a soiled shirt (note: it may well have been just out of the washer, but ...). So she "suggested" that I get a shop apron. Rockler had a nice canvas/denim one on sale so I bought that one. Like you, I suddenly had a place for a pencil, straight edge, tape, a few screws, etc. But best of all, my t/sweat shirts didn't get stained. Maggy thought it looked great and said, "Now don't get it dirty". (!)
    BUT, BUt, But, but, bu, b ...     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

p.s. OFC is the Old Farts Club.

A lot of people must have taken the advice and bought one. They are out of stock until the 23rd.
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:27:34 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com quickly quoth:

aMEN, brother!

That's "JAYZUSS", sir.

Get thee to the local HF store. Leather welder's aprons are only $8. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberE193 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberE194 I hadn't seen the 194 lined version. (Smell it before purchase.)
These aprons are thick and will absorb much of the energy of the many kickbacks you might receive on a daily basis, too. (K: DTTAH.)
BTW, don't get the straight canvas welder's apron. Open the package and you'll find out why in one whiff. The stench of the flame retardant is downright ILLEGAL.
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

At HF, that's not flame retardant. That's Chinese Cat Pee!

They're a safety item as well. Protecting the 'nads from flying debris of a broken routerbit has always been high on my list.
DonkeyHody wrote:

Since my wife found me a leather apron to fit my tall frame, I'm never in the shop without it. I cringed when I heard what she paid for it, but I'm over that now, esp. now that wood chips don't get imbedded in my shirts anymore.
Dave
Hey David, do you mind sharing where you found an apron for taller guys? Most of the ones I've tried are so short, they feel more like some kind of french maid costume or something. Thanks, --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:

took me a while to find it, but here it is:
http://woodworkeracademy.com/ShopAprons/newaproncat.html
Not cheap, but fantastic quality! The pockets aren't very big, but I'm not much for loading myself up like a pack mule anyway so I wear mine sans "stuff".
Dave

Really bad visual...

I'm a shortarse, but I made my apron myself. At any of the summer medieval / re-enactor / LARP fairs there are a bunch of leather traders there selling beautiful quality leather at prices much lower than anywhere else I can get it. Mine cost me 20 for something about 1 1/2 aprons in area in a beautiful quality soft suede that drapes nicely when kneeling. Any comparable apron would be about 50, and not such good material. The ties on mine are tablet-woven braid I did myself (in case I ever need to dress up as a Viking in it), but you can buy cotton webbing easily enough. If you're just sewing tapes on, then sewing by hand with a thimble or sailmaker's palm (made from the same leather) is easy. If you want a pocket or the ever-so-useful bottom edge gusset, then just sew it on a good domestic sewing machine with a leather needle - you _don't_ need a huge powerful machine to sew leather, but you only get one shot at sewing each seam.