Nice Shop Apron

About 43 years ago my new bride made me a nice shop apron, that wore out a few years back. Looked for a replacement and ended up with a Rockler Apron, which is pretty nice, although dust sticks to it, it's dark blue, which show the dust, and the pockets quickly fill with saw dust. Still, nice enough. Today I ran across an Atlas apron, and damn this looks exactly right for my cabinet shop. It looks like it would last forever, so the hefty price (compared to the Rockler and other cheap aprons) would seem cost efficient. Those looking for a nice apron might check this one out:

or

I want one of these but my shop days are close to over, so fighting (yet again) with myself trying not to buy something I no longer need, just want.

Reply to
Jack

Looks like a top notch apron. Personally I might carry a pencil in my apron, I only wear one to keep the dust from the TS off of me. And in Houston, the more weight the more it presses against you. That spells more hot in the summer. Winter time and I wear the apron just to stay warm. ;~)

The one you are pointing to is probably great when working at a job site, something I rarely do these days.

This is what I have been wearing for about 10 years, it survived a kick back 7 years ago and has only recently began to fray at the impact spot.

Light weight and easy to put on and take off.

Leon

Looks great --if one wanted to carry one's entire shop around on their chest!

Again, you want one why?

nb

Reply to
notbob

I just borrow my wife's ... :-)

.. somebody HAD to do it .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

notbob wrote in news:freganF93n3U1 @mid.individual.net:

On some projects, it's convenient to carry the entire shop with you. I do it for home improvement type projects, with separate belts for electrical and other repairs.

On shop projects, though, it's usually one tool at a time.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Rockler has a nice "turning apron" no pockets to fill with dust, super inexpensive denim blue with removable collar protector from dust.

Usually my tools are close at hand so pockets are not an issue for me.

Reply to
OFWW

Can't help your dilemma but if you decide you do want a new apron, I bought one of these recently. It's _really_ nice. The straps are adjustable enough to miss my pacemaker/scar (still quite sensitive), too.

Reply to
krw

Bet you take it right off her shoulders.

Better you than the neighbor, I suppose.

Reply to
krw

I'm always losing pencils and tape measures, even though I have dozens of them around the shop. It's good to use the same measure for a whole job, too. An apron makes it easier to keep track of such things.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was working with someone else who was using a tape measure. He set it down and lost track of it a couple times, just like I do. Don't feel bad if you do it too!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Those Atlas ones are the $h!t! I've been eyeing them for a while. I'm going to get one of their vests with the interchangeable pockets/clips.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I carry pens, pencils, paper pad, calculator in the top pockets. Bottom

4 pockets hold my Tape, Long Ranger, Small square, safety goggles. As long as I remember to put them back in there pockets I don't waste half a day looking for where I last set them down. These are tools I use constantly in my shop. As a bonus, it keeps the saw dust and finish off my clothes.

My question would be why not. My answer is I don't really do much any more, and don't plan to either. My last build was a damned whirllygig. Now people want me to build them one, the answer is NO? Perhaps I should get one of them to buy me a shop apron I don't need and I'll build them a whirllygig they don't need...

Reply to
Jack

I have a cheap apron I got at HF for that. Most of the time I just wear the "good one" and the pockets fill. I do try to use that one when finishing, but mostly, it just hangs there. For turning, you need something to keep the shavings out of your shirt, particularly down the neck. I don't turn enough anymore to worry about that.

My shop is about 625 sq feet so not all that big, but, it's filled with tools and stuff so walking around trying to find where I left my tape, goggles, marking tools, square is a PIA. REALLY a PIA as I grow older and spend more time looking for stuff I JUST LAID DOWN than actual work.

That's why aprons with pockets have been in use probably thousands of years. This one looks like a good one people might like.

Reply to
Jack

Yes, that looks similar to the Rockler apron I use now, with more pockets. The padded straps over the shoulder is mandatory with an apron that carries tools. The skinny over the neck ones suck.

Reply to
Jack

Yes, I have leather tool belts for building projects that I don't do anymore. I never wore an apron on these sorts of jobs just a tool belt, but always wear an apron in my cabinet shop. Not for hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, nails and stuff, but for pencils, paper, calculator, goggles, tape, Long Ranger and a little square. These are used constantly in my shop, and if I don't put them back in my apron, I spend WAY to much time looking for them.

Thing is, the above list of accessories are used with most tools. I could have a pair of goggles at my table saw, lathe, grinder and wire wheel, or I could just have a pair in my apron. I could spread 100 pencils all over the shop (I've done this and 100 isn't enough), or carry a couple in my apron. Same with a tape, and a square, and walking around looking for the Long Ranger to turn on the dust collector completely defeats it's purpose. Plus, and apron keeps the chips out of your pants and shirt, so might as well have it carry constantly used items.

Reply to
Jack

Sure. I really like the pads on the Atlas model you posted, too, and the closed pockets wouldn't fill with sawdust as easily. However, I think the shoulder pads are _too_ big in the front. I think it would sit right on my pacemaker. I think I'll pass but thanks for posting the link!

Reply to
krw

OK, been thinking about this and it really looks nice. Says it's "waxed canvas". Two complaints I have with my Rockler apron is it attracts dust like crazy, and being dark blue, that's annoying, and it's not particularly easy to put on. I get the crossed straps tangled up sometimes, particularly if I don't hang it up right. The straps are secure on your shoulders though, once you get it on. For $37 yours looks like a winner, and might be my next "unneeded" purchase:-)

Reply to
Jack

Just a thought here, waxed likely means water resistant and stiffer. I do not know where you live but if you work in the heat the waxed might feel hotter than a fabric that will breath.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, it is stiffer, and as the picture on the web site shows, it does resist water. I don't know how much hotter it is, though. It's an apron, not a vest or jacket sort of thing. I have a ballistic nylon vest and it is really too hot, even in mild weather. Perhaps in 90F weather this would be hot, too. But I don't like working with sweat running off my nose onto the wood, in any case.

Reply to
krw

Don't care about water resistance, but dust resistant sounds good.

I live in Pittsburgh and the temperature ranges from 100+ to -20. My shop is heated and sort of air conditioned. If I open the door to the upstairs, it gets the cool air from the house, but too stuffy really. I don't generally work when it's is super hot and humid, but when I do, it's hot with/without the cloth apron, so you are probably right.

Reply to
Jack