Leasing industrial space for hobby use

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone tried renting industrial space for hobby use? My little one-car garage just doesn't cut it anymore. Do the leasing companies only deal with business entities? Has anyone done this before? Any pitfalls? I know insurance might be difficult to obtain, but I'm not sure about anything else.
Hi Al,
I basically did that this month. I found a nice little place with 400sq feet less then 1 mile from my home. I am in the process of making it the way I want right now. I was able to have the electrical bill added to my current home account. I use my cell phone as my main phone anyway so did not need a phone line. I might be adding cable for a internet connection. If the city tax collector says you have to have a business license explain it is just your storage area.
It is a real pleasure being able to have my tools and work out of the house :)
Good luck,

one-car
with
so many places are begging for leasees, I'm guessing that the land barrons would gladly lease to Al-Queda.
dave
AL wrote:

As a Pro I have been renting Ind. space for years and the bottom line is Pay the rent That is all these folks want. Money talks and BS walks

one-car
with
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Speaking as a landlord who rents industrial space, I don't care if you are commercial or hobby as long as you can demonstrate to me that you can pay the rent over the lease term, will actually occupy and regularly use the space so I can worry less about vandals, not damage the property and not do something to get the EPA or the DEA down on me.
For sure I would rather have a hobby machinist that that guy who just went belly up leaving me with a $50K clean up of solvents and other yet to be identified chemicals dumped in back of the building.
AL wrote:

--
Glenn Ashmore

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:28:13 -0500, the renowned Glenn Ashmore

IME *industrial* rents are quoted triple-net (net-net-net), and the costs on top (including RE taxes, utilities, etc.) can be a bit of a surprise to the hapless tenant. You may get more stuff included if the area is sublet or very small.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

That is true when you talk about more than a couple thousand square feet bit there is usually a lot of space in the range suitable for small shops rented on a gross rent basis. You do need to know exactly who is responsible for what on commmercial space. It is not the same as renting an apartment. As Spehro says, some leases make the tenant responsible for everything including fire insurance and taxes. Others the landlord pays taxes, insurance on the structure, maintains the roof and the hot water heater. Tenant pays all the other expenses. Still others, everything but janitorial srevice is included. There are all sorts of combinations.
--
Glenn Ashmore

The NNN leases are dependant on the market. In times of high vacancy, landlords are happy to find a qualified tenant with a simple rental agreement.
In some complexes, hobby shops are the preferred tenant as they might be short on parking spaces and they really don't want to umpire parking disputes.
--
Roger Shoaf
It's wise to hire a lawyer to look over a lease agreement. I'm glad I did just that when negotiating a lease for my auto shop. We had a few items stricken from the leasing form that were too "pro landlord". He had enough prose in there to get my first born!
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

That would explain it.
Wife and I didn't have anything but a house. I went looking to rent space. Around the corner was a ratty 4 bay with a small storage area. Guy wanted $500 a month, I pay all expenses.
I shit my pants.
We got a loan and built a garage/ shop that can hold 6 cars (tightly). It will be all mine in less than 7 years.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
proving once again, it's usually better to own than to rent/lease! :)
dave
Mark wrote:

If it's going to take seven years to get it built, I would find a different contractor.

).
CW wrote:

You misunderstand.
At this time the garage and house are Ours and the Credit Unions.
Pay off is in less than 7 years. Then it's Mine, All Mine! Well, except for Wives parking spot and a few shelves.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

If your SO is like mine and you are letting her use some of the space in 7 years she will have squeezed you out and you will be back in the regular garage. :-)
--
Glenn Ashmore

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I've been resisting replying because I want to say it won't happen, but it started the day I put up the shelves.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
That's what you think ... it will actually belong to the local taxing authority. Try not paying them and see how much your "ownership" counts. :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/21/03
Swingman wrote:

Do you really think I wanted/ needed reminding of that???
I can name quite a few things if you were to do you would be reminded of true ownership and freedom.
So lets not go there.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Sorry to bring you back down to reality ... unfortunately, we are more or less forced to "go there" about this time of year.
I mentioned it because I just happened to get my 2003 property tax statement a few minutes before I read the thread ... damn taxes property taxes around here are now on a par with monthly mortgage payment. 80% of which goes for education (sub standard), via local school taxes, mostly to pay for perks ... perks that I can't afford for my own family ... for a bunch of educated-beyond-their-intelligence educrats ... and whose education I probably paid for to boot.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/23/03
Swingman said:

Give'm hell.. My first mortgage was $96 at 6.5% and P.T.I was $120 year. Build like a tank. What the hell happened - now it's $746 mo + 580 P.T.I. - built like an outhouse - and a poor one at that.
I'm building the next one myself - on the moon. <g>
Greg G.