Layla Unplugged And Its Relation To WoodDorking

Page 2 of 3

Yes, "Pulchramos", that's what we'll call him from now on...and pulcherrimos when he writes something *really* pretty.
H. ...foolishly proud of his Neolatinogisms, given how late it is.
Yes, "Pulchramos", that's what we'll call him from now on...and pulcherrimos when he writes something *really* pretty.
H. ...foolishly proud of his Neolatinogisms, given how late it is.
charlie b wrote:
snip
<<The unplugged version is the expression of an older, more experienced man, the rough edges ground down a bit by life. >>
snip <<The newbie knows only of tailed tools >> snip
Seems a bit narrow minded to me. Not much allowance at all for personal preference.
I am wondering if we should tell BB King to throw the well tailed Lucille in the river and pick up a Martin. I am not sure at 80 he would be considered a noob...
Les Paul... tailed Chet Atkins (don't even snicker until you have really explored this man's work)... tailed Jeff Beck... tailed Dickie Betts... tailed Mike Bloomfield... tailed Jerry Garcia... tailed
Hope these guys can forge a place in today's music. And there are so many others that hammer (or hammered) away on those damn electrics their whole long lives(feeling their teenage angst?) like Keith Richards, George Benson, Slash, Joe Perry, Sonny Boy Rollins, T Bone Walker at least part time... maybe not full time... so there could be hope for them, too if they are still with us.
For me, I like it all, and if they find a way to do a more mellow version of a song they like themselves, I think that is fine. I don't want to read too much into it. You know, like "the Walrus is Paul" and "did you notice they are all barefoot". I try to take it as it is, another piece of music from the artist.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Looking for: Klug Vaughn J Vaughn SR Dale Beck (Jeff) Vai DiMiola Knopfler Moore (Gary) a few Johnsons the list is endless.
Oh... and there are a few people who aren't sure Sarah McLachlan can play. Listen to her covering Beatles' Blackbird.
Robatoy, if you are still following this, my first company was house framing and cornice work. I had worked for a commercial contractor for about 2 1/2 years on restaurants, office finish outs, and some residential work before starting out. I thought I would get opportunities at better jobs, but apparently a 21 year old in bidness for himself wasn't awe inspiring to many of those with work. House framing/cornice/trim outs were all I could find.
But it was good. I felt free and alive to be on top of a 2 1/2 story roof finishing by the deadline for the week's draw cutoff, a cigarette hanging out of my mouth, tan, in great shape, shirtless, and screaming
"I'm Rael!! And >>>I<<<, I'm not full of shit!!"
every time it struck me to do so.
No money, no business experience, no women problems, had to skip a few meals which meant >no gut<, no phone, and damn few worries. Put the speakers out on the hood of my old truck, fired up the Craig, and went to it. Sigh. Those were the days.
Like the ref to Al Dimeola. Saw him in Austin in '76, and could SWEAR he had an extra hand somewhere playing with him. I have never heard before or since an guitarist play so many notes so accurately. It was mind boggling.
Robert
Robert
you left out Joe Satriani! And a much overlooked Pat Simmons of the Doobie Bros. Peter Grant, an unheralded studio musician who can play anything with strings on it AND get sounds you didn't know existed this side of heaven - tailed or untailed. Montoya and Segovia?
Must admit, I bless AND curse Les Paul. It's very rare to find an artist and an engineer in the same brain.
charlie b

<snip of good rant>
I wish I'd been able to stay up and bat that around some more, H. but I was too sleepy.
One of my favorite sans verb quotes is from Sonny Liston:
"People funny. Life a funny thing."
He's one guy I'd never question about usage.
No problem Tom, as that last bit of Latin was meant to convey: if you've done any Latin in the Summa, you've done enough--god bless you my son, and go in peace.
Hey, I wonder if George Thorogood was riffing on Liston:
"Everybody funny. Now you funny too."
Cheers, H. ...with regrets if 20 yrs. of teaching Latin grammar has made me anal enough to rant about it--in the Wreck of all places.
scribbled:

Saying that Latin is a derivative of Greek is like saying that English is a derivative Italian. (I was going to say French, but English is a derivative of French, at least a large part of its vocabulary).
Ludovicus Johannax

I don't know why she's the standard. After all, who died and made her queen, huh?
Why, WS and KJV, of course.
"That ain't poetry, that's typing"
I think that's what Capote said about James Baldwin
http://www.artistsnetwork.org/news10/news500.html
MJ Wallace
On 1 Dec 2005 20:35:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

This Capote that you speak about, was he a writer?
(watson - who hopes that irony is not entirely dead)
Tom:

Oh, I get it, funny! Yeah he was a writer! (I'll leave the book names up to you search out!). And, if you need the condensed version - there's a current movie playing in some cities about his blockbuster book.
His actual quote was:
"That's not writing, that's typing".
Truman was referring to Keroac's "On the road". The one he wrote on a single roll of paper over 3 weeks.
MJ Wallace
Woops! I just did the "google" thing and found out, that yes Capote did say that, but it was about Jack Kerouac.
MJ Wallace
How many of the artists humping unplugged versions of the hits that made them famous would still be famous if they had peddled the lame acoustic versions first?
Tom Watson wrote:

The plugged in version is full of the amplified passion and pain of a young inexperienced man. The unplugged version is the expression of an older, more experienced man, the rough edges ground down a bit by life.
But some of Clapton's songs can only be "plugged in" - the gutiar riff at the end of Holy Mother just wouldn't/ couldn't convey the anguish and pain, or the plea for relief. If I Saw You In Heaven has to be acoustic. After Midnite unplugged would be sleep inducing.
The newbie knows only of tailed tools and the dust collector and ear plugs that go with them. The intermediate becomes awayre of hand tools and the mystique that is attributed to their use. The experienced wood basher knows enough about enough to know which to use when. The fanatic uses one or the other and misses the benefits of each.
Only Clapton and Leon Russel can get an instrument to drawl (sp?).
charlie b
as for acoustic versions of earlier works being lame - a jazz pianist named Buddy Satan had just started a fifteen minute break when a drunk yelled "Hey Buddy. I don't hear nothing!" Buddy's over the shoulder reply "You're not listening."

Tom... I think that you have WAY too much time on your hands.. *lol*
It's an easy one for me... if it's Clapton, it's all good...
now go out there and make a cd holder for your friend..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Surely you're joking. The Phil Collins produced albums are pure drek, not worth the energy it takes to throw them in the trash.
John

One of my most played DVD's is Clapton at Hyde Park. Having said that, Clapton has also done some pretty awful stuff. Overall, I think he's overrated. Selling England By The Pound is one of my favourite albums. When I listen to it, I can't believe that Phil Collins is in that band. Rutherford's and Gabriel's careers certainly have shown to me where the talent was. Collins is just a blob of warm plastic slithering along on heavy digital delay-lines. Manilow has more personality/talent.
Music For Montserrat really shows how small a 'talent' Collins really is. When you got Clapton, Sting and Knopfler in front of you, you'd figure he'd rise to the occasion...but noooo.. he barely gets by. Good thing Ray Cooper was there to bail him out. (Talk about a giant)
My 2 cents