Layla Unplugged And Its Relation To WoodDorking

snip

snip

snip

Seems a bit narrow minded to me. Not much allowance at all for personal preference.

I am wondering if we should tell BB King to throw the well tailed Lucille in the river and pick up a Martin. I am not sure at 80 he would be considered a noob...

Les Paul... tailed Chet Atkins (don't even snicker until you have really explored this man's work)... tailed Jeff Beck... tailed Dickie Betts... tailed Mike Bloomfield... tailed Jerry Garcia... tailed

Hope these guys can forge a place in today's music. And there are so many others that hammer (or hammered) away on those damn electrics their whole long lives(feeling their teenage angst?) like Keith Richards, George Benson, Slash, Joe Perry, Sonny Boy Rollins, T Bone Walker at least part time... maybe not full time... so there could be hope for them, too if they are still with us.

For me, I like it all, and if they find a way to do a more mellow version of a song they like themselves, I think that is fine. I don't want to read too much into it. You know, like "the Walrus is Paul" and "did you notice they are all barefoot". I try to take it as it is, another piece of music from the artist.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I wish I'd been able to stay up and bat that around some more, H. but I was too sleepy.

One of my favorite sans verb quotes is from Sonny Liston:

"People funny. Life a funny thing."

He's one guy I'd never question about usage.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Moss

Reply to
Robatoy

No problem Tom, as that last bit of Latin was meant to convey: if you've done any Latin in the Summa, you've done enough--god bless you my son, and go in peace.

Hey, I wonder if George Thorogood was riffing on Liston:

"Everybody funny. Now you funny too."

Cheers, H. ...with regrets if 20 yrs. of teaching Latin grammar has made me anal enough to rant about it--in the Wreck of all places.

Reply to
hylourgos

This?

> Van Morrison singing Comfortably Numb (live The Wall, Berlin).. if you

Reply to
Stephen M

Tom... I think that you have WAY too much time on your hands.. *lol*

It's an easy one for me... if it's Clapton, it's all good...

now go out there and make a cd holder for your friend..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That'd be the one..'cept I ripped from the DVD, which is a hoot. Cindy Lauper's contribution alone is worth the price of admission.

Reply to
Robatoy

I don't know why she's the standard. After all, who died and made her queen, huh?

Reply to
Robatoy

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Surely you're joking. The Phil Collins produced albums are pure drek, not worth the energy it takes to throw them in the trash.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

One of my most played DVD's is Clapton at Hyde Park. Having said that, Clapton has also done some pretty awful stuff. Overall, I think he's overrated. Selling England By The Pound is one of my favourite albums. When I listen to it, I can't believe that Phil Collins is in that band. Rutherford's and Gabriel's careers certainly have shown to me where the talent was. Collins is just a blob of warm plastic slithering along on heavy digital delay-lines. Manilow has more personality/talent.

Music For Montserrat really shows how small a 'talent' Collins really is. When you got Clapton, Sting and Knopfler in front of you, you'd figure he'd rise to the occasion...but noooo.. he barely gets by. Good thing Ray Cooper was there to bail him out. (Talk about a giant)

My 2 cents

Reply to
Robatoy

Tom:

Oh, I get it, funny! Yeah he was a writer! (I'll leave the book names up to you search out!). And, if you need the condensed version - there's a current movie playing in some cities about his blockbuster book.

His actual quote was:

"That's not writing, that's typing".

Truman was referring to Keroac's "On the road". The one he wrote on a single roll of paper over 3 weeks.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjwallace

Amen, brother!

Reply to
Rob Fargher

Someone suggested that the unplugged After Midnight would not be good. JJ Cale (original author( did a killer version. max

Reply to
max

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:22:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Robatoy quickly quoth:

Amazon's short audio track doesn't do it justice, I guess. I was curious how she was doing (I adored both her and Liz Peña in "Vibes") and hit

. The first song (automatically loaded with the website) is a bit loud but the second, Above the Clouds, is GREAT! It doesn't have nearly as much of that sharp edge she sings with, KWIM,V? She still looks great, too, doesn't she? Fun gal, that.

-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778)

--

- Medicine-free Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Why, WS and KJV, of course.

Reply to
hylourgos

>> /ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-4548948-7774456?v=glance&s=music

She Sure Is. The hair is a bit tamer these days, however... I actually went to the site you pointed out and listed to the 3 tunes. I could swear I heard Sarah McLachlan in the background, and a few lines where the voice sounded eerily reminiscent of Marianne Faithful. It's funny how the mind remembers voices you haven't heard in almost

20 years. They are each truly unique... And Sarah's no slouch in the looks department either...

Don't buy many albums anymore, since loosing my earlier collection, and gaining a few years, but she looks like a keeper.

JMHO,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Robatoy wrote"

Reply to
nailshooter41
[snipped for brevity]

I don't think it sold well.... then again.. Dark Side Of The Moon and Ziggy Stardust and Who's Next (only the Best Pure Rock Band Ever)..... were released about the same time as Selling England (1973 The year I graduated). I had a job with the power company as an EE, but all my free time was spent messing in the music biz. Money for nothing and the chicks for free...LOL...Mostly hardware. Daytime, white shirt/pocket protector, go home and eat..set up a sound system...party all night and break it down at the end of the gig. Just a roadie who never left Toronto. Very early Rush before their first album (Upstairs at George's Restaurant Queen & Spadina) comes to mind.

I always keep a close eye on the British music scene. New ideas pop up and they have the absolute BEST fan-base on the planet. Lots of cool stuff happens there. Libertines (now Babyshambles) are but one example of a fresh sound that will likely never sell this side of the ocean, because the weasels with the cigars and Courvoisier(blech) are busy selling bling, you dig what I'm saying? And now those record company weasels are wondering why the kids (what izzit? 70% of all record sales?) are refusing to buy an entire CD that just has ONE song on it and the rest filler. Of course they feel ripped off and download.

'Lamb' and 'Selling' were full of 'hits'. Just Heavy-Duty compilations of creativity of Sgt Pepperian proportion.

Sorry... sometimes I just Ramble On

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid...hehehehehe you MUST tell me what your company did.

Reply to
Robatoy

It's a subjective thing, John.. that's why they make stain in more than one color...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:13:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg G. quickly quoth:

>>> /ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-4548948-7774456?v=glance&s=music

Dat's OK by me. Then again, I always wanted to find out if she was a natural orange.

DAGS "Amazon lauper" and listen to tidbits of the entire album. The one I like has Jeff Beck playing. The ones we both like have Sarah in duos with Cyndi.

Quite true! (times 4)

I'm still collecting CDs when they move me, and still finding CDs to replace the old vinyl I can no longer get (or want.)