Layla Unplugged And Its Relation To WoodDorking

Page 1 of 3

So, my buddy asked me to burn him a CD and specifically asked that both versions of Layla be on it.
I had not listened to them back to back in a long time.
Being a WoodDorker, I became enamored of the differences between the two.
You have the Normish Layla, which depends on huge amounts of 'Lecktricity and brute force - and then you have the Galootish Layla, which depends on subtlety and expression.
As a concept, it was working for me pretty good.
So, I'm thinking to myself - Normites are more like Rock and Roll and Galoots are more like Folk Music.
Nah, that couldn't be right.
I couldn't imagine Patrick Leach singing Kum-Ba-Ya anymore than I could imagine Norm singing almost anything from Cream (maybe the Grateful Dead - workingman's dead album).
So, where does that leave me?
I have come to believe, through the salvific power of music, that Galoots and Normites are the same people, as Clapton is the same person when he sings either the Electric Layla or the Unplugged Layla.
It is worthy of note that Clapton took a good long time to become unplugged, as do many confirmed Normites, as they age.
But, they are the same being.
So, we not be not either Normites or Galoots, as Clapton does not need be either a Rock and Roller or a Folky - we may enjoy the multiplicity of our expressions of WoodDorking, without fearing that we need to fall in one or another of the major camps.
If Clapton can handle it, so can we.
Damn, I'm glad that we finally settled that.
It can't be right. I wonder if Igor Stravinsky could fit into this concept... Tom

Leopold Stokowski is prolly the only dude that could make him speaka da same english.
Dude had the Philly Band when it was full of wild people, all wanting to be first chair bubba and he had the character and musical sense to create the greatest band that any of god's children have ever heard.
If'n you ain't heard Big B's Fifth done by the Philly band under Leopold, you ain't really ever heard it.
Stravinski reminds me of what Hemingway said about ee cummings:
"That ain't poetry, that's typing."
De gustibus non disputandum, eh, Watson? Tom

The actual reference is from Cicero:
"De gustibus non disputandum est"
Which translates directly to the unfortunate:
"Of taste no dispute is."
But which most acknowledge as:
"There is no accounting for taste."
(watson - who is now listening to Satchmo's, "Mack The Knife")
Watch out for the "est", it's verbal.
Now listening to the band called Henry Cow, their "Legend" album. Check it out, then maybe Stravinsky won't seem so much like "typing". It's all relatively good. Tom, the Cultural Imperialist .

Was....
Killamangiro [sic] by Babyshambles. (What does Kate see in him?)
Now listening to:
Bei Mir Bist Du Schn by the Flying Neutrinos
fade to
Van Morrison singing Comfortably Numb (live The Wall, Berlin).. if you haven't heard it...find it. Just f*ucking awesome... Danko & Levon doing back-up vocals, can you diggit?
Rogatoy wrote:snip<Babyshambles.(What does Kate see in him?) Uh, Kate who? Tom

Moss
This?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)33542625/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-4548948-7774456?v=glance&s=music

That'd be the one..'cept I ripped from the DVD, which is a hoot. Cindy Lauper's contribution alone is worth the price of admission.
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:22:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

Amazon's short audio track doesn't do it justice, I guess. I was curious how she was doing (I adored both her and Liz Pea in "Vibes") and hit www.cyndilauper.com . The first song (automatically loaded with the website) is a bit loud but the second, Above the Clouds, is GREAT! It doesn't have nearly as much of that sharp edge she sings with, KWIM,V? She still looks great, too, doesn't she? Fun gal, that.
-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778) -- www.diversify.com - Medicine-free Website Development

She Sure Is. The hair is a bit tamer these days, however... I actually went to the site you pointed out and listed to the 3 tunes. I could swear I heard Sarah McLachlan in the background, and a few lines where the voice sounded eerily reminiscent of Marianne Faithful. It's funny how the mind remembers voices you haven't heard in almost 20 years. They are each truly unique... And Sarah's no slouch in the looks department either...
Don't buy many albums anymore, since loosing my earlier collection, and gaining a few years, but she looks like a keeper.
JMHO,
Greg G.
Robatoy wrote"
<<Selling England By The Pound is one of my favourite albums. When I listen to it, I can't believe that Phil Collins is in that band. Rutherford's and Gabriel's careers certainly have shown to me where the
talent was.>>
Holy crap, Batman. I didn't even know anyone around here would know what that album was! It was actually a little bit obscure then.
But I will do you one better than that. My first real, registered company that I started in 1977 was called Rael. Yup. From Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
Phil who?
Oh yeah, the guy that provided the drum fills.
I am astonished Robatoy. No kiddin.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

I don't think it sold well.... then again.. Dark Side Of The Moon and Ziggy Stardust and Who's Next (only the Best Pure Rock Band Ever)..... were released about the same time as Selling England (1973 The year I graduated). I had a job with the power company as an EE, but all my free time was spent messing in the music biz. Money for nothing and the chicks for free...LOL...Mostly hardware. Daytime, white shirt/pocket protector, go home and eat..set up a sound system...party all night and break it down at the end of the gig. Just a roadie who never left Toronto. Very early Rush before their first album (Upstairs at George's Restaurant Queen & Spadina) comes to mind.
I always keep a close eye on the British music scene. New ideas pop up and they have the absolute BEST fan-base on the planet. Lots of cool stuff happens there. Libertines (now Babyshambles) are but one example of a fresh sound that will likely never sell this side of the ocean, because the weasels with the cigars and Courvoisier(blech) are busy selling bling, you dig what I'm saying? And now those record company weasels are wondering why the kids (what izzit? 70% of all record sales?) are refusing to buy an entire CD that just has ONE song on it and the rest filler. Of course they feel ripped off and download.
'Lamb' and 'Selling' were full of 'hits'. Just Heavy-Duty compilations of creativity of Sgt Pepperian proportion.
Sorry... sometimes I just Ramble On

company did.
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:13:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Greg

Dat's OK by me. Then again, I always wanted to find out if she was a natural orange. <ww,nn,snm>

DAGS "Amazon lauper" and listen to tidbits of the entire album. The one I like has Jeff Beck playing. The ones we both like have Sarah in duos with Cyndi.

Quite true! (times 4)

I'm still collecting CDs when they move me, and still finding CDs to replace the old vinyl I can no longer get (or want.)
-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778) -- www.diversify.com - Medicine-free Website Development
Tom Watson wrote:

I don't think Cicero said this: do you have a loc? It may well be classical, but I've wondered if this weren't some later invention, so I should track it down--I'll start with you and Cicero.

The literal translation is more like: "About tastes it must not be argued", but since English is uncomfortable with impersonal constructions, the old standbys "You can't argue about tastes" or "There's no accounting for taste" are close enough.
"est" doesn't stand alone as the verb here either: it's part of the (future passive) periphrastic "[disptuta]ndum est" construction which denotes obligation or necessity. It (the "est") could also be gapped, so what tom wrote would work fine too.
Don't mean to be picky, but hey, what else is a philologist good for?
H ...teaching Carroll's Laughin and Grief since '85

My vaguest apologies but the Latin that I was taught was not admiring of the included verb.
As the reference was to Cicero, I would think that his full expression would be worthy of the quote.
As an oldish Philosophy Major, I would argue that a sentence without an expressed verb is a nasty piece of work, particularly since I spent much of my undergraduate time arguing the merits and definition of "est".
Even without reference to Summa Theologica, or, indeed, Philosophica, the importance of "est" is enshrined in both Latin Grammar and Latin Literature, of which I am sure you are more than passing familiar.
I would also argue your parsing of the phrase into English, as mine admired the natural translation of the elements and yours transcribed rather than translated.
Then too, there is the matter that the Latin is a derivative of the Greek, which I am sure you know, as it would be a commonplace of your professional life.
But, who then is the attribution?
Who then was Cicero fond of quoting?
(watson - who has had more than enough Grief to last a lifetime)
(sorry, just having a bit of fun before going to sleep)
Hey Tom,
Had to read your post a couple of times before I realized how my query about the quote's source was misunderstood. What I meant, and could have been clearer about, was that I don't think Cicero says this at all in any of his works, whether invented by him or quoted by him from some earlier writer. That's why I wondered if you happened to have a location (citation) for that quote in Cicero. That would clear it up for me.
About gapping verbs: classical Latin is more comfortable dropping any form of the verb "to be" than we, but we can still do it as I just did; nevertheless, I can understand a philosopher's reticence to allow it. In general, though, English too gaps verbs all over the place, as do you:
*The very first sentence of your post to which I respond now, "My vaguest apologies but..." Two modifiers and a noun [no verb] followed by a coordinating conjunction with a new independent clause. *Earlier in this thread: "...as do many confirmed Normites, as they age." ["become unplugged," from the prior clause] *From "Old John" thread: "OldJohn." "The laugh of a truly happy man." "yet so full of good feeling." ["he seemed" gapped from prior clause], "And so we did," ["walk", gapped from prior sentence]
"I would also argue your parsing of the phrase into English, as mine admired the natural translation of the elements and yours transcribed rather than translated. "
A "natural translation of the elements"? Admirably slippery, and not quite the same as "translates directly". Regardless, you're shooting your own argument in the foot, to mix metaphors: you first restore the "est" then circumcise the periphrastic form "disputandum est", making the future participial half into a noun then exile the "est". Ends up not meaning (whether parsed, translated or transcribed) the same thing--or more realistically, not meaning as close to the original as other [parsings, translations, transcriptions] ready at hand.
"Then too, there is the matter that the Latin is a derivative of the Greek,...."
Well, only in the broadest of senses. Hellenists might chuckle, but Romanists would rankle. It would be no different to assert that English is derivative of French.
To, or not to, that the question, H who may have already fallen asleep.
ps: did you write on "esse" in the Summa as an undergratuate? di tibi propter nimis laborem parcant!
hylourgos wrote:

Dang! And I was just gonna say he had a pretty mouth! Tom