lathe wood chuck

Hi,
I bought a cheap wood chuck online, (HF), but the threads are two small for my existing craftsman wood lathe. Is there some type of attachment that has my lathe's thread on one end and has the wood chucks smaller thread on the other?
Otherwise, I'm going to have to return it... :-(
Thanks in advance,
Todd
Yes, but the attachment probably cost mores than your cheap chuck. If your spindle is 1" diameter, you have a choice of 1"-12 and 1"-8 threads on the chucks by Grizzly on this page: http://www.grizzly.com/products/items-list.cfm?&listtype=keyword&keywords=chuck&StartRow1 They run $37.00. Personally I like a much more expensive chuck, but these can work if you are careful. Better chucks grip tighter and are operated by a key so one hand can tighten the piece, while the other holds it on to the jaws. Tommy bars (like shown in the pictures) are more difficult to operate and require you to lock the spindle to initially tighten and then use both bars to tighten better.
Craft Supplies offers spindle adapters. You can go to their site: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ and type spindle adapter in the search box. They are listed at $59.99.
Derek
"Todd Seidenberg" wrote in message > Hi,

Derek Hartzell wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/items-list.cfm?&listtype=keyword&keywords=chuck&StartRow1
I bought one of the Grizzly chucks a few years ago. After I used it about three times two of the slides cracked. I don't recommend it.
If it is the same one I have, return it--a four-jaw chuck which is not self-centering, with 3/4" spindle threads. Not worth the shelf space to keep it around. It takes several minutes to center a piece in it, and the jaws don't hold well,either. Cost under $20. It might make a good gag-gift for a club Xmas exchange.

gag-gift
The four chuck (non-scroll) does have its uses. It is useful for doing off-center turnings. I've used it for that purpose.
On the topic of chucks, did anyone see the latest Penn State catalog? They are selling a scroll chuck that looks like a knock-off super-nova chuck. It's made in China, it says so in the description, and I think the price was about $50. In addition it comes with adapters for both 3/4- 16 and 1-8 threads. Any thoughts other than "you get what you pay for"? Martin
T. wrote:

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck?