lathe - stuck drive spur and live center

I just got an old Sears Lathe. It's in pretty good shape, except for some rust. (that I'm getting off now) The drive spur and live center are both stuck... Any ideas about how to get them out so I can use other accessories with my new (to me) lathe? I'm soaking them in kroil. I'll see if they knock out in the moring. If not? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
billw wrote:

There is a product, you can get it at your local NAPA auto parts store, called "PB Blaster" which is extremely good on rust.
If that does not work, there is always heat. The downside of heat is the results can vary widely between success and total failure.
Deb

On my lathe I have a metal rod I tap with a mallot to get the center out - make sure you were a leather glove or perhaps have a towel folded up to catch the center in.
DejaVoodoo wrote:

Right. Isn't the shaft hollow to facilitate such an action?

yes is is hallow all the way through and the chuck or center is just a pressure fit inside the cavity. Should not need any lube to get it out, just a little tap.

Liquid Wrench.
Phisherman wrote:

If Kroil isn't doing it then Liquid Wrench won't even _think_ about it.
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 20:02:08 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I have never used Kroil, guess never needed it. But, like the other posters stated about a knock-out rod. Mine has a brass tip to prevent spur damage.
"Phisherman" wrote:

Kroil is worth getting to know.
Kano Labs Nashville, TN
They have an 800# and a web site for ordering.
Lew
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 03:09:04 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

solid, but this morning and solid tap with a brass rod, and they popped out. I wasn't sure they were going to break free...
I use a long bolt (custom made by myself) that locks in my Morse 4 or Morse 2 tools. It keeps the tool from coming out if I work against it while turning.
I use them to extract the tool - by un-screwing a couple of turns - leaving a number of threads engaged and give it a rap with a rubber mallet.
Sometimes it takes a stronger go than that. But I have a shot filled mallet before I get out something bigger.
I started bolting it in so when moving left to right without a tailstock engaged the spur or else - doesn't disengage.
Something like a drift pin in function.
Martin