Last Project Completed

Page 1 of 2
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer. Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to do. White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather than the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably close to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.
The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them. I hope to take much better pictures then.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/7087787783/in/photostream/lightbox /
Very nice Leon I can only hope to be half as good. I'll be able to get some extra practice now, hurt my back and on Workers Comp. now can you imagine 66yrs. old and still trying to work. Have a good one.
Sal

On 4/17/2012 6:51 PM, sal wrote:

Thank you Sal and get better!

Very nice. I wouldn't object to having those in my living room. I wouldn't choose to have the front plywood panels be so much lighter than the solid oak, but I can understand that someone else could prefer the contrast.
On 4/17/2012 8:49 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

Thank you Jim, it is mostly the lighting that exaggerates the contrast.
On 4/17/2012 5:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Larry
On 4/17/2012 9:29 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Thank you Larry. I live in a suburb of Houston, Richmond, TX.

Beautiful work. Did you use tempered glass? WW

Damnit, Leon.... don't make me come over there... =^0
You do all that beautiful work and you record your efforts with a camera phone? Seriously, as we talked about as a passing comment at Christmas, you should truly consider an album/portfolio of your work.
Same with Karl. He does a nice job with his job photos, but he has a lot of nice pieces in his house, too. Stuff to be proud of.
I am rarely without a camera these days. I document so much stuff that I keep one in the truck almost all the time. And with the newest camera I scored a really nice wide angle lens, Li battery, and found batteries and 16GB cards with work with it just fine at Amazon. Camera + batteries and big cards was about $130 after a pile of discounts. But you can get a nice camera for documenting your work (*hint* hint*) for less than that these days.
I have been at this business too long and honestly look back at some of my finished work and wish I had taken just 15 minutes (or less... ) to snap a few pictures for me to look at later.
A few years ago I had a client that let me design their molding install patterns, their crown molding profiles (using existing stock) from the base molding (wood molding wrapped around curves) to the ceiling treatments. These well heeled folks were delighted at the fact that their moldings looked like no other, like their large 4 piece chair rails, down to the custom window sills with little crown moldings (and returns!) underneath them.
They were so happy with the work they paid me to stay and personally paint it all. In the end, I am not sure who was more proud of that work, me or them.
But did I take a picture? NOOOOOO...... dumbass. What a dumbass. That opportunity was there and gone quickly as they couldn't wait to move their furniture in and hang their pictures.
Not only did I miss an opportunity for a sales tool, but to remind myself that not all of the work I do isn't just same sh*t, different day.
Robert
On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:59:20 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Same old question. If you don't have any pictures, did it really happen? I went one worse, at least it was worse in my books.
Many pictures of my projects over the years. My computer died and so (for the time being, did all my saved images and information). Dumb ass that I am, I didn't have any of it backed up.
The sad part of the whole fiasco, is that I'm always telling friends that they need to back up their information. Good advice. Me? I'm too stupid to follow my own advise.
I have one avenue of hope. The information I had stored was on SCSI drives, a standard which is just about obsolete. I just might, be able to cobble together enough of a setup to run those SCSI drives and recover my information.
On 4/18/2012 1:30 AM, Dave wrote:

I use Carbonite for my back ups, on a cloud.
Leon wrote:

Statement by Mr. David Friend, CEO of Carbonite:
"...Even though Mr. [Rush] Limbaugh has now issued an apology, we have nonetheless decided to withdraw our advertising from his show. We hope that our action, along with the other advertisers who have already withdrawn their ads, will ultimately contribute to a more civilized public discourse." http://www.carbonite.com/en/blog/A-Message-from-Carbonite-CEO-David-Friend-Regarding-Ads-on-Limbaugh
"Carbonite, the Internet backup-security company, may be a good place to securely store irreplaceable computer data, but it's not proving to be a good place to invest irreplaceable dollars. The company, which went public last August, has seen its stock dive 20 percent since Carbonite CEO David Friend criticized Rush Limbaugh in the wake of the Sandra Fluke flap."
http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/carbonite-crashing-after-limbaugh-trashing /

Some time ago, I decided to can Carbonite because I didn't think it was a good system. Too slow and cumbersome to do big backups over the internet, even at my than 25/15 Mbps (My FiOS is now 35/35). This was long before the Limbaugh inexcusable outbursts.
Perhaps my (in some places vocal) withdrawal from Carbonite has caused the sharp drop in stock prices, but, really, it could very well have been that the stock price was driven up by speculation, and by now the bubble had to burst.
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/18/2012 11:18 AM, Han wrote:

IME, folks simply don't appreciate the difference between "offsite file backup/storage", and using a cloud service like Carbonite to backup a computer with the view toward "Restoring" it in case of a catastrophic failure.
Two different uses, two totally different concepts ... I had no concern with, and no unrealistic expectations of, how long it takes for an initial upload to Carbonite, because it was configured to be done over a two week period as a background task with low priority. All subsequent file changes and additions are incremental background tasks done without noticeably impacting my use.
ITMT, that computer was also backed up to a local device with the view to a "Restore" in the event of the catastrophic failure of a component.
I would never consider relying upon "Restoring" a computer via Carbonite alone, except as a last resort, absolute emergency measure, because that is not what that particular storage methodology is good at.
For $4/months, "offsite" storage, via Carbonite, is cheap for my benefit at ten times the price.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Many times the choice depends on basic ingenuity.
For example, if you can compress your precious data, you can send it to your Gmail (or Yahoo or Hotmail) account as an attachement. Google, for example, allows up to (I think) 8 gigs of email storage. You can sign up for 31 Gmail accounts, one for each day of the month, and store 240 gigabytes of stuff. Then, too, with 365 Gmail accounts... pretty soon we're talking terabytes!
*snip*

I bought a NAS (Network attached storage) box to store backups and multimedia files on. With 7.5 TB of storage (but reduced to around 4 TB due to running the drives in RAID6 configuration), it cost around $1000. That $4/month will pay for 250 months, or about 20 years of storage and by that time you'll need more space than 4 TB. Hopefully Carbonite will up the amount of space you can use without raising the price excessively.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

1 TB is 4 250 GB hard drives. If you have multiple computers, it would not be difficult to fill that space up.
I'm not thinking about a single backup here, but rather multiple backups to a single machine. Plus, old back ups sometimes have to be manually deleted (which can be a good thing), and each one takes up several GB of space itself.
The bare minimum data backup may only take a few gig, but with space as cheap as it is (1TB for less than $100) why do just the minimum?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:55:06 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

I have a 2 terabyte drive in my computer and 4x2 terabytes drives for storage and backup in an external USB unit. And, I'll probably upgrade the external unit to USB 3 at some point in the not too distant future.
Sorry Mike, but you appear to be out of phase, compared to many. You can buy a 2 terabyte drive these days for less than $100.00. That's just too cheap *not* to backup all your information.

We crashed (again) as a result of a lightning strike a couple of years ago and took the hint. I purchased one of the small portable Seagate hard drives that comes with automatic backup software. It spends most of its life in our safety deposit box where it is retrieved about once a month for update. Today, I would have likely just opted for one of the now-cheap high capacity flash drives. I also use one of those pretty regularly to backup files that are important.
Granted, this works well for us because our small town bank is four blocks away and retrieving the drive is no big deal. But with the drive at a remote location it is safe from fire, tornado, theft, etc.
RonB
On 4/18/2012 7:08 AM, RonB wrote:

While I still use media to backup files locally, a subscription to Carbonite and, and free 50GB introductory offer to Box.com, backs up the backups.
I've had to restore a few accidentally overwritten local files from Carbonite in the last few months and it only took seconds.
And, I can access the files on both services from either my iPad, or Android phone.
Would not do without the option in this day and age.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010