Lasik

Page 3 of 4
Gregg Germain wrote:

That's why they make trifocals I guess. :)
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:44:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Sure she will, and I, who have better than 20/20 vision, will eventually need them as well. My father did and he had perfect vision. Everyone will. The fact that these people need reading glasses has nothing to do with LASIK, it has to do with the fact that they are older.
Brian Henderson wrote:

True, but after my grandmother's cataract surgery, at 80-something, she has 20/15 vision near and far with no glasses of any sort.
I'm not sure how that's possible, since the new lens in her eye can't be focused, but she can read the fine print on a gnat's pair of BVDs two inches away or across the room. It's sort of unsettling.

is
Yes, but the surgery won't do anything to correct for the age-related loss of close-focus ability.

Yes it will, one time from what the eye doctor told me. He says I'm a good candidate for it but I'm not going to have it done. OTOH, my DIL did and she thinks it was great. Ed

loss
good
I like your doctor better. Mine said otherwise, and that's why I didn't opt for the surgery. Maybe I should go for a second opinion.

Be careful there. I little while ago, 2 years, there was a 60 Minutes show about a woman whose face was ruined in cosmetic surgery. She went to one surgon that told here she wasn't a good candidate becuse of her skin type. She didn't like what he said so she went for a second, then a third and then a forth. She finally found one that said it would be great. She had the surgery and was horribly disfigured. Gues what? she sued the surgon and used the previous 4 doctors statement to get her money.
The moral is, be careful looking for the opinion you want. You might get it and then end up in really bad shape.

show
Point taken, but it's not so much shopping for one opinion as it is getting more than one opinion.
wrote in message

loss
good
The way they correct for that with Lasik is mono-vision; they adjust one eye for distance vision and the other for close-up. Sounds pretty weird, but apparently you get used to it. There's currently no medical way to address the root cause, which is the eye loosing flexibility as it gets older. Everybody needs reading glasses eventually, typically once you get over 40.
--Neil
My left eye was difficult to see through and close up reading the tape for cutting was tough! Had cataract removed and next day during follow-up appointment scheduled the right eye. Drug store glasses help with newspaper and monitor but I could get by without. Colors are back, details I'd forgotten about are back, I'm sorry I waited so long!

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:17:24 -0600, "Perry"

The reason that I don't go for surgery or contacts is that I know myself too well.
My glasses have saved my eyes from various projectiles on a number of occasions and I know that I would not wear safety glasses, at all of the appropriate times, if my vision were corrected.
The fact that I can't see very well without my glasses has almost certainly kept me from not being able to see at all.
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

I have a pair of safety glasses hanging on every stationary tool and one hanging in front of my power tool storage. I've seen too many people with eye and facial injuries that could have been prevented by the use of safety glasses.

is
is
I had Lasik a few years ago. I was a -5, and now have slightly better than 20/20 vision - about in the range of 20/15 or so. At the time the leading edge was the flying spot LIDAR laser, now I think there's something called wavefront technology that's even better.
I did suffer some loss of near vision. Before, as my optometrist put it, my eyes "could focus like crazy" for really close stuff. I can still read just fine, but now I need to use drugstore reading glasses when prying splinters out of my fingers. I'm 36 years old, and like everyone else will probably need those glasses for reading sometime in my 40's - Lasik can't help that unless you go for monovision. Although there's some interesting research in the area of helping the eye maintain flexibility as you age, so the inevitable reading glasses may one day not be quite so inevitable.
Anyway, I also have a bit of a loss of night vision, or in very high- contrast situations. For example auto headlights at night have a bit of a halo around them. Your surgeon should be able to tell you prior to the surgery how likely this effect is for you - they measure your dilated pupils and do some calculations on the amount of correction required to get an idea. But it's not exact, since my doc said they don't know for sure until they lift the flap.
One other side-effect is that my eyes got extremely dry at night. If I have to get up in the middle of the night (courtesy of my 7 year old), my eyes were seriously gummy to the point of having blurry vision for 10-15 minutes unless I used eye drops. It was rough for the first couple years following the surgery, but has gotten a lot better in the past year.
Do a lot of research before you decide. There are certainly some horror stories out there. However, I believe most of these potential issues will be detected in advance by a good doctor. Also, the success rate is significantly higher for doctors who've performed over 1000 surgeries or so - I forget the exact number. So absolutely look for the best guy around.
Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide.
--Neil
My wife had it a year ago. Cost US$3400 The doc was one of the more expensive, but he had done some high profile patients (had pics of them in his office) and your eyes are not something you want to send to the lowest bidder!!! Her prescription was around 800 before, and afterwards she is now 20/25. Her doc recommends a minor touch up to get to 20/20. She is VERY satisfied with the results. BTW, some lasik centers around here line up 30 people for a one day lasik marathon that are all performed by the same doc. Then he flies to another city and does it again, and again and again. Make sure you talk to the doc who will be doing the procedure and ask how many he will be doing on that day. Good luck Mark
Perry wrote:

BTW, some lasik

30 is on the low side anymore. It's not uncommon for a doctor to pound out 60 or more in a day.
(brian roth) wrote:

Assembly-line surgery. What a concept. Hard to see how that's good for anyone except the surgeon and his accountant.
Doug Miller wrote:

For a really scary account, google around. Somewhere out there is a write-up of a clinic in the former Soviet Union that used to do radial keratotomy (predacessor to LASIK, using a scalpel) on a setup that had patients lie on beds situated around a giant turret. They did step one, then rotated you to the next doctor, did step two, etc.
I can't find the original article I read some time back, but I've turned up a few corroborating factoids. It was the Moscow Eye Microsurgery Centre, operated by Dr. Svyatoslav Fyodorov. At the peak of this clinic's heyday they were performing an operation every 19 seconds.
Every 19 seconds...
Wow, I'm glad to be an American.
Anyway, LASIK isn't radial keratotomy, and it's supposed to be much safer. For my eyes, it's not safe enough. I'd have to have absolutely wretched vision to even contemplate it. The same goes for the gamut of alternatives. My eyes are just fine the way they are, and I'm not letting anybody cut or burn or chemically alter them while I have any control over my own body.

<SNIP>
I'm lucky in that my insurance covers Lasik. I hear that's a rare thing.
Does having lasik rule out cataract surgery later in life, should it be needed?
John
Perry wrote:

"Eddie Munster"

No. Cataracts are the fogging over of the lens, which is inside the eye behind the pupil. The issue I would be concerned about is developing glaucoma later. What happens then?