Lasik

Page 2 of 4
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:41:58 GMT, Joe Willmann

That's funny, my wife had it done about 5 years ago and hasn't had a pair of glasses on since. Her eyes are now above 20/20 with zero problems and zero complications.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.verizon.net wrote:

How old is your wife? Just guessing here, I'd imagine she's under 40, and all of Joe's friends who have had LASIK are over 40. It makes a difference. By and by, almost everyone needs glasses to read. She just hasn't reached that point yet. But she will.
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:05:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Everyone will whether they have LASIK or not, so that's irrelevant.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.verizon.net wrote:

Maybe you should read it again. That's exactly the point I was making -- exactly what I *said*, in fact: "By and by, almost everyone needs glasses to read."
Three posts back, "Joe" said he knows two dozen people that had LASIK and now they all read reading glasses. The guy I responded to said his wife had LASIK five years ago and doesn't need them. And I'm telling him that's probably because she isn't old enough to need them yet. "But she will."
Doug Miller wrote:

Near sighted and far sighted at the same time is confusing. I need my glasses to see far away, but I'm getting to the point where my arms aren't going to be long enough for much longer to read fine print.
I guess I need bifocals soon.
: Doug Miller wrote:
:> had LASIK five years ago and doesn't need them. And I'm telling him that's :> probably because she isn't old enough to need them yet. "But she will."
: Near sighted and far sighted at the same time is confusing. I need my : glasses to see far away, but I'm getting to the point where my arms aren't : going to be long enough for much longer to read fine print.
: I guess I need bifocals soon.
It can be even more confusing than that ;^)
About 15 years ago my long distance vision went a little bad. A very mild prescription fixed that. It hasn't seemed to get worse.
Then about 5-6 years ago my short vision started to deteriorate - like you are observing wiht yoruself.
But bifocals are only so good for me:
They can fix the near vision; they can fix the far vision, but both prescriptions TOTALLY SCREW UP the intermediate vision - like reading the speedometer in a car. ;^)
--- Gregg
My woodworking projects:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html
Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm
Steambending FAQ with photos:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm
"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558

that's
aren't
Progressive bifocals fix that though they take some getting use to.
Gary
: Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558
Did you ever notice that the doctors who do lasik wear glasses? I wonder why?
"Sam Soltan"

Well, silly. If they screw up their eyes how are they gonna operate?

Actually, mine didn't...
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

See Ed's post for clarification of progressive lenses. Not Tri-focals but segmented multiple focals that are not visible (not in mine anyway). With mine, up close is (now) the very lowest part of the lens and the far away is the very top....guess it's time to get new ones <(;-{. Mid range varies through the middle.
Gary
: "Gregg Germain" snip> :> :> : Progressive bifocals fix that though they take some getting use to. :> :> You mean, essentially Tri-focals? :> : See Ed's post for clarification of progressive lenses. Not Tri-focals but : segmented multiple focals that are not visible (not in mine anyway). : With mine, up close is (now) the very lowest part of the lens and the far : away is the very top....guess it's time to get new ones <(;-{. Mid range : varies through the middle.
: Gary
Ah I see. Might be worth a try.
--- Gregg "Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558

No. Trifocals have three distinct segments. In a progressive lens (also known colloquially but incorrectly as a "no-line bifocal"), the correction is continuously variable from the reading correction in the bottom portion of the lens up to the distance correction in the upper half. You can get whatever correction you need in between those two extremes just by tilting your head up or down slightly. I've been wearing progressives for about four years now, and I love 'em.
"Gregg Germain" wrote in message

Being 60, I insist that my eye doctor tweak my prescriptions specifically for "intermediate" vision (approximately 36" away), both in contacts and glasses. We take a good deal of time doing it and it has been well worth the effort.
Granted, the distant vision suffers a tad from doing so, but I don't really need "perfect" 20/20 vision to drive, or do anything else, and it is much more convenient to be able to see the computer screen, the odometer, the fretboard of my bass, etc. without bifocals, or having to change glasses or contacts.
I had to twist her arm to do it the first time a few years back, but she now agrees it was a good idea, at least for me.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

the
Have you tried progressive lenses? They are much improved over the originals and I'd not be without them. I get good vision at every distance.
It was explained to me that it is a series of small facets on the lends instead of one big change like a bi-focal. Years ago it was only in a narrow strip below the eye, but new lenses are much wider in the field of view.
Of course being 60 is really old. I'm only 58 Ed
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

specifically
distance.
I've heard about them, but haven't kept up with the technology. I'll sure keep those in mind next time ... I just picked up my new prescription glasses and contacts yesterday.

Tell me about it ... the aches and pains geometrically progress with each passing year, so you got something to look forward to. The occasional Aleve is your best friend.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

Swingman wrote:

A real bass ain't got no frets, Swingman.
"Silvan" wrote in message

... and neither does it have more than four strings, but look around you.
While my fretless has a "fingerboard" (I don't need to look at it while playing), a "fretboard" does not necessarily have frets ... just think Jaco. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04