laminate floor repair

I have a room about 14 x 20 with laminate floor in it, I have a chip about the size of half a dime. It is about 3 feet from the starter side I am considering an attempt to cut the plank out (or part of it ) & gluing a new piece in it's place. Has anyone ever tried this? I hate to have to pull it all up( & baseboards) to get to it.
Thanks Rob

Something to think about, IIRC laminate flooring floats. If you cut out a chunk the replacement chunk may float at a different level than the rest of the floor. Typically these floors are setting on top of a vapor barrier and a closed cell pad.
Hardwood flooring that is nailed down is often repaired in the manner you describe.
Use a brad point bit to drill out chip, leaving a round hole(say 1/2"). Take care not to drill through the underlayment. Cut a plug (with a plug cutter) matching size (say 1/2") from leftover material, glue flush. If you match grain/pattern carefully, the repair will be almost invisible.

good idea. I will try that.
in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, longshot at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 3/23/05 7:08 AM:

Different manufacturers sell putties and repair products to help hide small damaged areas and blemishes. Armstrong has information online on how to repair their laminate floors. Essentially, you need to cut out the offending board, and replace it with a new one by removing the back side of the tongue and gluing it into place. This is, however, a permanent repair and can be done only once. For greater detail in this procedure go to <www.armstrong.com/common/r2001/content/files/5451.pdf>
Good luck:-)
--
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-