Laminate floor repair

10 years ago, i installed this floor in oak strips...8'x 5" I believe. From my living room thru the dining room and into a narrow galley type of kitchen. A heavy microwave dropped as it was being moved and made a mess right in the center of the kitchen floor. I would like to replace that part with leftovers from the installation..how does one go about it. Its all so tight, which brings me the thought of doing it in the fall or winter rather than the summer, because of wood expanding and contracting, according to the seasons.
Reply to
Harri85274

A few years ago I laid down Ikea Tundra laminate flooring in my kitchen. It was just about the cheapest stuff out there, and comes with a 15 year warranty. After putting it down I noticed a 2"x2" dark spot in the "beech" colored laminate. It looked like dirty dried up glue (this was the glue-together Tundra flooring). But nothing would get it up. I let it go for about 6 months or so and then got around to calling Ikea. They sent a contractor out. The guy didn't believe me that it wouldn't come up (I tried EVERYTHING - even the stuff they say don't try, like goof-off, a razor blade, etc). He shows up with mineral spirits. Bahahaha.

To make this long story shorter....he decided he needed to replace the board. He asked me if I had any extras. I told him no I did not (I did though). He said that the Ikea stopped making that color and that he'd have to replace the entire floor. So, he did. Took about a year of constant nagging to get him back out to rip up and replace the floor, but he finally did it! The reason it took so long is because I didn't have my receipt. Ugh. No surprise it took em so long. But they did say initially they'd do it, so once they said that I held em to it.

Anyways, the guy did tell me after he replaced the whole floor, that if he could have found an extra single board he would have tried to replace just that, but it's very tricky he said and sometimes it doesn't turn out very good. He said I got lucky that Ikea was forced to replace my whole floor because they didn't make these boards anymore.....

Flash forward a few months later...I walk into the store and they have the flooring, in my color. LOL

A couple of years later and the floor is great by the way. Holding up wonderfully. And now Ikea doesn't sell the glue-together stuff I found out. Now it is all click-together. Anyone used that?

Reply to
mark

"Harri85274" wrote

You can replace this anytime during the year. You want to acclimate the stock you will use in the same room for 4 days, lay flat, do not stand it up leaning or otherwise.

You need a hammer, punch/nail set, drill & bit, circular saw, chisel, pliers, loose tongue, router & bit, shim material such as paper drywall tape, glue, weights such as bagged sand.

If you have all the tools, I believe Pergo sells a tape that shows the basics on how to replace. Replacing planks & tiles really isn't for beginners, but if you have some basic carpentry skills go for it. Otherwise expect to pay approx. $150 minimum for 1 plank, and $30 for each over one with you supplying the planks.

Reply to
Jon Zone