Laguna Bandsaw and Cutting Veneer Strips

Went to a woodworking show in Toronto yesterday and while wandering around, I came across a display of Laguna bandsaws. I was extremely impressed by the veneer strips they were cutting off blocks of hardwood.

The blades on the Lagunas were about 1 1/2" in size. The veneer strips were less than 1/16" in thickness and about 8" x 6" in size. I'd categorize them to be as flawless a cut as I've ever seen. Didn't bother to ask what one of these monster machines sold for because I knew I wasn't ready to trade the car in for one of these beauties. But one has definitely been added to my wish list.

Reply to
Upscale

It sounds like they may have been using their Resaw king blade. they are very, very, extremely proud of it and charge accordingly. hey if it does what you described, maybe its worth it.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

It might have been. The blade on this Laguna band saw reminded me of one of those pictures of a great white shark baring all its teeth. I didn't inquire further because I was too distracted by this perfectly thin, perfectly flat piece of veneer. At first I didn't believe the veneer strip had been cut on the band saw until I matched the grain with the solid block of wood behind it. I don't think I've ever seen a more graphic sample of what a tool can do. When you see something like that you know that if money wasn't an issue, this is the one you'd buy without even thinking of looking at anything else.

Reply to
Upscale

If you want a better bandsaw for veneer, get an Aggazani. The wheels are machined, so there is no vibration. The Laguana are rubber wheels.

Reply to
littlewing1

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Grossbohlin" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:59 PM Subject: Re: Porter Cable 314

My new PC 314 showed up the other day. I was pleased to find the edges of the base parallel to the blade and the saw in fine condition. I've only made a few cuts with the saw but am pleased already... it's much friendlier to use than my PC 7 1/4" saw for "fine" work. The 7 1/4" saw has seen a fair amount of work lately as I'm working on my house. Thus the difference in the feel of the saws was quite evident.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I have the Laguna LT18, an older model but made in Italy. The wheels are machined and balanced, it's the tires that are rubber. The bandsaw has no vibration and passes the nickel test easily, even during startup. Unless they've changed their philosophy recently, all Laguna bandsaws are made in Italy.

Reply to
melbjer

The lower end Laguna bandsaws have been made in Bulgaria for at least a couple of years.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

You are right. It is the tires that I was talking about. Anyway, the tires are harder rubber, and machined on the Aggazani.

Reply to
littlewing1

Actually, a few models are made in Bulgaria.

I've got the LT16SEC - made in Italy - 2.5 hp Meber bright bright blue TEFC motor (bright colors seem to be favored by Italian companies). I can balance a dime on edge on the table, start the machine, slice and dice and the dime stays standing. So it ain't necessary to get an Aggazzini to make 1/16th inch slices. A good "blade lead" adjustable fence, some fair to good guides, set right, a 1/2" 3 tpi hook tooth blade tensioned properly and you're off and running making translucent slices.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I think the light duty versions are made in Bulgaria but the main line models (Laguna & Minimax) are Italian.

I have the MM16 and like the Lagunas, they will do most anything. For resawing veneers, the key is a good blade and the ability to tension it high enough.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

At close to $2 US per inch (might even be more) it'd have to do the cutting and the stacking. On my LT16SEC with a blade length of 130 inches I can buy a lot of considerably less expensive blades in batches of 50.

Wouldn't happen to have been Torben, the president and founder of LT, doing the slicing? He's a bandsaw freak - having done a lot of laminated stuff when he was still making furniture. And I'm betting the bandsaw had the LT ceramic guides as well (add another $250 US).

But really guys, what are you going to do with "see through" veneer anyway? 1/16th inch and a little drum sanding is close enough.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I didn't see anyone actually doing the slicing, the blocks of wood and their respective slices were sitting there on each bandsaw table. For all I know, they could have been cut in some high end woodworking shop. Next time I go to one of these, I'll request a demonstration.

Didn't notice that either one way or another. I guess I was too impressed by the strips themselves to examine a little closer. That will come next time too.

Reply to
Upscale