Cutting Veneer

Hi All,

Is there a way to cut small sections of veneer from softwood (i.e. a pine species) in a home workshop .

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
......... :-))

Steve,

You may want to check out Ian Hosker's book, Veneering, A Complete Course.

All the Best, Ed

Reply to
Ed McDonough

I'm not sure how big a "small section" is, but many of us cut our own veneer with a bandsaw. Pieces up to about 3 inches wide are possible on a table saw. Fred

Reply to
Fred

I know nothing about it, but I bought a lg sz pizza box full of assorted from LV to make birds, animals, reptiles. These patch panelling & I got the outline shapes (like shadows) out of a colouring book.

It depends on the species, but some are brittle and stiff, some are soft and flexible. You could probably steam, soak, whatever (microwave?) if there is a problem.

Brittle/hard may need to be chopped with a utility blade/knife, more than cut by pushing down through on a hard surface. Lots of times you can just use scissors. Sometimes a sharp utility knife blade/blade. For curves, sometimes a combination, even chisels. The edge can be scored and snapped off. It can be like a sheet of styrofoam, on a small scale. Along the grain you can just snap off pieces. You could prob use a sharp pizza knife. Could prob make a plywood sandwich and snap. You could use end-cut pliers could use a template. could use tissue paper I use it for shimming, though there really isn't a great range of variable thicknesses. I use it to shim sizes on my router table, for door jambs, light clamping, I keep a scrap tin of them. With (some) success I have tried using tape behind it to keep jig-saw puzzle type pieces together, but there is a real venner tape, which I haven't used. Some larger pcs I have glues to the wall have bulged later. Some sharp edges are easy to snag and break off.

Reply to
bent